Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bryant Gumbel: Racist

Westbrook36

Over the years, BG has made "Real Sports" his own personal playground to point out how oppressed blacks are in society and how many struggles your average black athlete has had to overcome in their lives.

I'm watching RS and he says something that made me have to watch it again and again to see exactly what he meant. He said, "“try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of Blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention”.

I don't get it. Can someone explain this for me? Why would anyone laugh if someone said they were the world's greatest athletes? Because there is a paucity of blacks? Without blacks, they simply cannot be the world's best athletes?

I'm confused. I am also disgusted at the uncalled for potshot at the Republican party.

What a ****ing moron.

I mean, really, what else needs to be said about this guy? No one likes him. I must admit, I've never seen Real Sports, but after reading this, I'm glad I haven't. I've never heard anyone making the winter olympics a racial thing, it's never even crossed my mind.

Simply put, you don't see a lot of black athletes in figure skating, downhill skiing, luge, bobsled, etc. Why this is, I have no idea, and I'm not going to try to hijack the thread and figure out why. If he wanted to do a little expose about how blacks get the shaft when being picked for the figure skating team, thats fine with me, especially if he finds some real dirt on his claim.

So what, the Summer olympic athletes are much better athletes because more of them are black? What a crock of ****, Gumbel. I'd expect more from someone who's been a journalist for such a long time.

Oh, and I agree with Westbrook, the potshot at the Republican party was out of leftfield and uncalled for.

All olympics suck, wait for the World Cup when you want to see REAL manifestations of nationalist fervor...

yeah but the game itself is boring. I like playing soccer and all, but watching it is like watching paint dry. You want to watch a sport where the spectators, AND the game is fun to watch, watch the Rugby World Cup. Especially the New Zealand team. The chant they do before the game rocks. it's called the Haka (for anyone who wishes to try and search for it).

Over the years, BG has made "Real Sports" his own personal playground to point out how oppressed blacks are in society and how many struggles your average black athlete has had to overcome in their lives.

I'm watching RS and he says something that made me have to watch it again and again to see exactly what he meant. He said, "“try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of Blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention”.

I don't get it. Can someone explain this for me? Why would anyone laugh if someone said they were the world's greatest athletes? Because there is a paucity of blacks? Without blacks, they simply cannot be the world's best athletes?

I'm confused. I am also disgusted at the uncalled for potshot at the Republican party.

Cmon quit being so damn dense!!!

The Winter Olympics are basically a get together for Europe and North America.Few athletes from Africa and Oceania thus the lack of color.The GOP Ms. Rice and other s not withstanding are still lacking in African American and Hispanic participaion at all levels.

BTW "Real Sports" has been on for ten years and has exposed alot of the dirt in sports on a worldwide level.I'm a big fan.

Let's seriously think about this for a minute.

Which people on the globe are more likely to participate in winter sports? Seems to me People who live further north in the northern hemisphere or south in the southern hemisphere as the case may be. Where did these "winter" sports Originate?

No one is stopping Black athletes from participating in the Winter Olympics. Thus the comment is completely uncalled for.

Just because someone has a tv show doesn't mean that they have to make sense. I guess that black guys aren't allowed to ski or ice skate. They let a black guy on the golf course and look what happened. Only a few token white guys are allowed to play basketball. Pretty soon the NFL will have a written rule that only QB's and offensive linemen can be white. But no matter how many rules they make someone will still let Bryant Gumball come on their network and say stupid stuff.

Cmon quit being so damn dense!!!

The Winter Olympics are basically a get together for Europe and North America.Few athletes from Africa and Oceania thus the lack of color.The GOP Ms. Rice and other s not withstanding are still lacking in African American and Hispanic participaion at all levels.

ummm yea...

Gumble making the crack about the winter olympics not consisting of the world's greates athletes because of the lack of blacks was what was uncalled for. Adding the comment about the GOP just made it worse.

Did he mean black Americans? Or just dark people in general? I seem to remember there being a Jamaican bobsled team and that didn't work too well.

If you look at it, America as a country isn't very good at the winter olympics, at least relative to the summer. I think the whole thing is just an opportunity for otherwise irrelevant countries to feel good about themselves...see our "friends" to the north.

Archived