Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wilbon says 75 percent chance Lions make playoffs in 2006

kreitmaster

WTF is he thinking? Martz is not going to single handedly turn this team around. The defense will still be bad and that is just a bad franchise. The North is up and coming with the Bears and the Vikings who are one RB away from the playoffs. I'm sorry but I can't see the Lions winning over 7 games.

SO detroit did hire Martz as OC?

ya, he turned it down at first but agreed sometime yesterday or earlier this week.

WTF is he thinking? Martz is not going to single handedly turn this team around. The defense will still be bad and that is just a bad franchise. The North is up and coming with the Bears and the Vikings who are one RB away from the playoffs. I'm sorry but I can't see the Lions winning over 7 games.

BAD DEFENSE??? Their defense is pretty good, if their rankings were low it's because they played the whole game. With the constant turnovers of their offense, ya they are going to give up some yards. Plus their best corner, dre bly, was out almost half the season with a broken arm or hand and played half the games he did play with a cast.

They've got a lot of good players on defense in both the secondary and up front. Their linebacker corps is has a lot of young talent with veteran Holmes in the middle. If anything, their defense has the potential to be great with a good offense. With the three #1's at receiver and marcus pollard and now martz, give them a good qb in the draft and i agree 100% with what wilbon is saying. It doesnt mean they will but they have a great chance to succeed and are headed in the right direction now.

this could be a year of weeding out the players who they don't want, but they should be considerably better.

Marinelli is supposedly a disciplinarian, their defense will be agressive with Donnie Henderson, and we all know they won't be afraid to throw the ball with Martz there.

Plus, with the division they're in, I'd say it's wide open. - The Bears are the only team in that division that doesn't have a new coach. The biggest factor will probably be what happens with their QB situation.

Garcia doesn't seem like a good fit in Martz's system. I could see them bringing someone to challenge, like Josh McCown from Arizona or Patrick Ramsey.

What about a rookie qb they will most likely pick up with the #9 pick in the draft jimster? or do you think they are looking to get someone other than a qb??? I'm curious since everyone seems to think that's what they'll do.

Personally I'd love to see them trade with us to get Ramsey because I think it would be great for us, for them, and for Ramsey. I like the lions and i think it would be a perfect fit for Ramsey to "start" his career in. It's probably just wishful thinking that we could get marcus pollard for ramsey but maybe we could get something better and that way they could address other needs in the draft?

I think they will definately improve maybe 7-9 but I don't think they will make the playoffs. I like their D and their coaching staff. What about their QB, it's gonna be either Harrington or a rookie. I know Martz is great with QBs but it would take a miracle to turn either of the potential QBs into a legitimate force in one season. Also their O-line leaves a lot to be desired. The Bears should hold that division so their only hope would be a wild card. With the NFC South and East being so good, I can't imagine the wild card slots not being represented by those divisions.

What about a rookie qb they will most likely pick up with the #9 pick in the draft jimster? or do you think they are looking to get someone other than a qb??? I'm curious since everyone seems to think that's what they'll do.

Personally I'd love to see them trade with us to get Ramsey because I think it would be great for us, for them, and for Ramsey. I like the lions and i think it would be a perfect fit for Ramsey to "start" his career in. It's probably just wishful thinking that we could get marcus pollard for ramsey but maybe we could get something better and that way they could address other needs in the draft?

I don't know what kind of coaching Harrington got these last few years, QB-wise, so I gotta think they'll let Martz see if he can do something with him. He's a high 1st round pick and has shown flashes, so I don't think they'll give up on him just yet. At the same time, I could see them setting up a contigency plan with someone else like I mentioned.

I could see them drafting a lower round QB if they don't trade for one though (maybe 2nd round - that kid from Alabama or Drew Olsen from UCLA). I would think they're going with defense with their 1st round pick.

Ya, i guess with everyone just assuming they would pick someone like cutler from vanderbilt real early or some other qb i never really thought that they wouldnt. Thats kinda interesting I cant wait to see what they do. I just can't believe harrington's never found a rythm with those guys. I think he's still got a shot but my friend and I (he's a die-hard lion fan) would love to see them pick up Georgia's D.J. Shockley.

No one seems to think he's an NFL qb but he's decent sized at 6'1" 210 and has a great arm and can run some too. I think someone like that could make that offense very interesting and may be just what they need. He could probably turn that team around under martz but martz seems to favor the "straight, shoulder-square" drop back qb's so i doubt that will happen.

Timmy Chaing, the kid from hawaii??? I remember him, he pretty much rewrote their record book didnt he? Ya he could be an option but i think harrington or most of the guys they could get by the second round like shockley or the kid from ucla who incredibly was mentioned by many announcers as a candidate for heisman but now isnt even really thought of as a first rounder would be a lot better than chaing. He's good but i think he's mainly a clf/afl kinda guy. At least imo anyway.

...plus they got Timmy Chaing on their practice squad. - you never know.

Timmy Chang :laugh:

June Jones uses 4 to 5 WR formations about 95% of the time. And we all can remember what happens to a QB when you use the Fun an Gun.

*edit* my point is every Hawaii QB put's up huge #'s because they are a heavily aggressive passing attack but in the NFL they won't even come close.

Until they get a QB, the Lions aren't going anywhere. :2cents:

Until the Lions fire Matt Millen, they aren't going anywhere, and you can bank on that. As long as MM is in charge, the Lions are going to be at the bottom of the division...the man is a numbskull.

Signing Martz was a step in the right direction, but the Lions have several thousand miles to travel before they even get competitive...:2cents:

Timmy Chang :laugh:

June Jones uses 4 to 5 WR formations about 95% of the time. And we all can remember what happens to a QB when you use the Fun an Gun.

*edit* my point is every Hawaii QB put's up huge #'s because they are a heavily aggressive passing attack but in the NFL they won't even come close.

it's not a prediction, it's more like a hmmmm:whoknows:

no body ever expected anything out of an arena league QB back in '99 either.

My bet is Harrington gets the opportunity.

Until the Lions fire Matt Millen, they aren't going anywhere, and you can bank on that. As long as MM is in charge, the Lions are going to be at the bottom of the division...the man is a numbskull.

Signing Martz was a step in the right direction, but the Lions have several thousand miles to travel before they even get competitive...:2cents:

Well we won't go down this road again JRock. :):)

But last year's team with a competent Quarterback would have challenged the Bears for the division lead.

In a roundabout way, though, you are 100% correct. Matt Millen is of a mind that you can win in the NFL with whoever at QB. That you need to focus on skill positions and defensive personnel. Similar to the Dan Snyder approach. Of course, getting Brunell, drafting Campbell has changed all that for Washington... I think a similar move would put the Lions in the right direction.

But you're right, I doubt Millen is smart enough to do it. He'll probably draft a TE in the first round, or something similar. :doh:

Here's my guess as to what Wilbon is thinking:

In 1998, the Rams were 4-12, and the franchise hadn't had a winning record since '89. Then Martz was hired as OC before the '99 season, the Rams went 13-3, turned a backup QB into the MVP, increased their points per game by 15 and won the Super Bowl. So I'm sure he's thinking that Mike Martz is a difference maker, which he certainly was.

What I'm sure he's forgetting is that 1999 was also when Marshall Faulk and Torry Holt joined the party. While Torry didn't become "Big Game" until his second season (his rookie numbers are good but not great), Marshall Faulk was the real reason the Rams' offense flourished. Martz' game plans were masterful, but the talent surrounding him was excellent.

Wilbon probably sees a trio of talented receivers and an underrated running back when looking at the Lions, and thinks Martz can do it again. I'm not so sure, but in the topsy-turvy NFL, nothing would surprise me.

Well, except for a Cardinals Super Bowl. :D

The main problems with the Lions for the past several years have been, poor/predictable play calling, poor teaching from the coaches, lack of toughness, and offensive line play.

So far they've brought in Martz who is excellent at both play calling and teaching. Marinelli was brought in to instill toughness and Larry Beichtol (from Green Bay) is a top 5 OL coach.

All they need to do is fix the OL and feed Kevin Jones the ball to be a .500 team. A well run defense could definately propel them into the playoffs. Lots of young talent on both sides of the ball over there.

Well we won't go down this road again JRock. :):)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: And then you proceed down said road:

But last year's team with a competent Quarterback would have challenged the Bears for the division lead.

In a roundabout way, though, you are 100% correct. Matt Millen is of a mind that you can win in the NFL with whoever at QB. That you need to focus on skill positions and defensive personnel. Similar to the Dan Snyder approach. Of course, getting Brunell, drafting Campbell has changed all that for Washington... I think a similar move would put the Lions in the right direction.

But you're right, I doubt Millen is smart enough to do it. He'll probably draft a TE in the first round, or something similar. :doh:

Don't worry...I'm not going to take the bait. I'll just focus on this part of your statement:

you are 100% correct

:D :D :D :D :D

:cheers:

Wilbon says 75 percent chance Lions make playoffs in 2006

There's a 100% chance he's wrong... :laugh:

I just think this Martz thing is exactly the wrong thing for them. Just have a feeling it'll completely backfire. His style isn't gonna' get this team anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

WTF are you thinking, the Lions have the talent they just need the coaching to get them where they need to go. Don't hate!

Archived