Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Union Is Challenged In Arrington Deal Dispute

Macd36

Wednesday, February 8, 2006; E02

The attorney for LaVar Arrington 's agent filed a response to the NFL Players Association denying the union's claims that Arrington's representatives were negligent in dealing with the linebacker's 2003 contract extension with the Washington Redskins and asking that the union's top attorney be removed from the case.

Carl Poston , who could face a suspension or even be barred from practicing as a player agent, represents Arrington and a host of high-profile NFL stars, including perennial Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law and linebacker Julian Peterson . He is being accused by the players' union of failing to ensure that a $6.5 million bonus clause was part of the eight-year, $68 million contract extension Arrington signed with the Redskins in December 2003. It is one of five complaints the union had leveled at Poston, the other four being Poston's alleged failure to cooperate with the union's ensuing investigation, his failure to report a violation of the contract, concealing contract information from the player and fraud.

"Carl expects to prevail and be vindicated," said Poston's lawyer, Paul Aloe . Aloe said in his response to the union that he requested the complaint be dismissed and that Richard Berthelsen , the attorney for the NFLPA, withdraw from the case for various conflicts of interest. The response also argues that the NFLPA has prosecuted the case inappropriately, and requests an in-person hearing.

An eight-member committee that handles disciplinary actions against agents will hear the case against Poston on Feb. 22 and a ruling against Poston could be rendered within the month.

The bonus money had been a point of contention between Arrington and the Redskins. Berthelsen could not be reached for comment yesterday.

-- Howard Bryant

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

Wednesday, February 8, 2006; E02

The attorney for LaVar Arrington 's agent filed a response to the NFL Players Association denying the union's claims that Arrington's representatives were negligent in dealing with the linebacker's 2003 contract extension with the Washington Redskins and asking that the union's top attorney be removed from the case.

Carl Poston , who could face a suspension or even be barred from practicing as a player agent, represents Arrington and a host of high-profile NFL stars, including perennial Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law and linebacker Julian Peterson . He is being accused by the players' union of failing to ensure that a $6.5 million bonus clause was part of the eight-year, $68 million contract extension Arrington signed with the Redskins in December 2003. It is one of five complaints the union had leveled at Poston, the other four being Poston's alleged failure to cooperate with the union's ensuing investigation, his failure to report a violation of the contract, concealing contract information from the player and fraud.

"Carl expects to prevail and be vindicated," said Poston's lawyer, Paul Aloe . Aloe said in his response to the union that he requested the complaint be dismissed and that Richard Berthelsen , the attorney for the NFLPA, withdraw from the case for various conflicts of interest. The response also argues that the NFLPA has prosecuted the case inappropriately, and requests an in-person hearing.

An eight-member committee that handles disciplinary actions against agents will hear the case against Poston on Feb. 22 and a ruling against Poston could be rendered within the month.

The bonus money had been a point of contention between Arrington and the Redskins. Berthelsen could not be reached for comment yesterday.

-- Howard Bryant

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

I think Poston is claiming they used the Jedi mind-trick on him.

I think lavar now knows that saying nothing is saying a lot, so I would expect him to say nothing, it appears to me that the skins org is not involved in this, Lavars agent has stuffed up badly, personaly I would have sacked him for that, anyhow, ol 56 will be at fedex next season

I'm waiting for Poston's defense "I'm not negligent because I read the contract before it was signed. There never was any negotiated 6.5 million between the Skins and Arrington. My client was confused on this issue and I was doing my best to represent his interests." LOL

Does any other fan think we deserve an apology from Lavar? Except for Poston's interference :deal:, why would he think the Skins were trying to screw him? No matter what they say, it was a distraction for the team. He should at least publically apologize to the team!

I'm can't make up my mind if I want him back or not. He's a little too much ME ME ME.

Sorry, had to vent.

Archived