Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need help on agruement about how Deion is overhyped

ejay183

He was never much at tackling, but that's it.

53 career INT's with a 25.1 average return and 9 of them for touchdowns.

Another 9 TD's on Kick and Punt Returns.

He was the best shut down corner I've ever seen, taking away half the field.

You may not like the guy, but, as a player Deion was pretty darned great.

I hated him for the fact everyone I know thinks he is better than Darrell Green.
He was never much at tackling, but that's it.

53 career INT's with a 25.1 average return and 9 of them for touchdowns.

Another 9 TD's on Kick and Punt Returns.

He was the best shut down corner I've ever seen, taking away half the field.

You may not like the guy, but, as a player Deion was pretty darned great.

deion best cover "shutdown" cb ever. they made the term shutdown corner after him. no safety help ever. green was good maybe top 5

Ok, he could play. But he was all ME. Deion was all about Deion. He was not good for team cohesion or team character. Did you know he never huddled with the team defense here? He just stood out there in the open field while the other ten defenders huddled. Why should he? He didn't need to right? What a punk.

**** him.

Deion Sanders simply put was the best COVER corner of all time.....He couldn't tackle for beans and he took way too many chances in coverage. He gave up more TD's than darrell but he also had more ints because he took these chances. Deion got more opportunities as a returner than darrell but both would've been probowlers if they did this position full time.......Darrell is better overall but the media hyped deion because of his mouth making him the greatest.......it doesn't matter how great you cover if teams scheme to run at you.......and deion clearly was a liability in coverage......Darrell was also a team player.....Deion was the team Deion......

Ok, he could play. But he was all ME. Deion was all about Deion. He was not good for team cohesion or team character. Did you know he never huddled with the team defense here? He just stood out there in the open field while the other ten defenders huddled. Why should he? He didn't need to right? What a punk.

**** him.

Very true...it was always interesting to see a team run at him. The man had shoving a guy out of bounds down to a science.

Seriously, early-mid nineties Deion was one of the best athletes ever to play in the NFL. I think he is the most dominant CB ever to play in the NFL---like Ray Lewis or Troy Polamalu (and hopefully Sean Taylor with a little more development) more recently, or LT before him, Deion redefined how a great CB could impact a game. Champ Bailey et. al. owe their tremendously high (and, in the case of Bailey, as every skins fan knows, overrated) value to him. Deion in the mid-nineties was just able to completely take away half of the field.

DGreen was a GREAT person, player, Redskin, and is definitely deserving of a spot in the HOF. But Darrell could not dominate a game the way Deion could, plain and simple. And, while he couldn't tackle well, saying he wasn't at all a "team" player seems a little silly as he went to SF, they won the SB that year, then the next year he went to the Cowgirls and THEY won the SB. I'm not saying those teams weren't good without him, but anyone that argues that he wasn't a HUGE factor in putting those teams over the top again is crazy.

* Deon never returned an Int or Punt for a TD in a playoff game. DGreen did.

* Deon got away with murder as a DB. Remember the 9ers game when he basically tackled Rison and there was no call? He put his hands on everyone and got away for it because of his name.

* Deon was essentially done as a starting corner at 32; DGreen was a starter until he was 38. And as a 39/40 year old he held Randy Moss to 2 catches for 30 some yards. Even when he was with the Redskins Rhoades had to roll a safety to his side to help him.

* Deon talked about being a Christian but basically sold his soul to any team willing to pay him; DGreen talked the talk and walked the walk. Drafted and retired as a Redskin.

Deion was great, but he wasn't as much of a shutdown corner as many people would have you believe. He took a lot of risks and tried to jump routes all the time. Consequently, he also gave up a lot of big plays. Of course that's overlooked because he also took a lot of balls the other way. If there were such a stat, I guarantee you it would show that Darrell Green gave up less big plays than Deion.

Archived