Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glazer says Skins interested in Jet's Abraham

REDMAN7

He's a whole lot of money when we have more dollars that should address the offensive needs. There are many questions to be answered before March 2nd, 2006.

Defense: (1) What's Taylor's position in Florida?, (2) We need to re-sign Clark. (3) Will Wynn (who is very serviceable) re-work his contract for less. (4) Lavar? (5) Harris needs to be re-worked and kept.

Offense: (1) Who's the #2; Moulds, Randle-EL? (2) Dockery, or a FA replacement. (3) Offensive line depth (the draft) (4) Stud TE to help with the strong DE's against Jansen, or Chris. This guy needs to have great hands as well. Saunders needs a pure TE.

I know he is a free agent, and I am almost positive that he is a Restrcited Free Agent

He was a 1st round pick of the Colts. We don't have a 1st rounder this year. I don't think DF will happen, but I can see JA becoming a Skin. He is a UFA.

On FOX Sports TV today, Jay Glazer said the Redskins are interested in obtaining the Jet's DE John Abraham. He did not go into details, but he did make this statement.

Cool. This hopefully confirms all of our suspicions. I hope we trade Ramsey to him and that he shines in their offense. Though that would mean that "the Toe" would probably shine as well, and I want him to fail miserably

I'm starting to get a little confused...I know Abraham is a FA, but ppl keep talking about a trade. Is this assuming that the Jets franchise him? If so, does anyone know what sort of contract we'll need to offer to even trade for him (i.e. what is the avg of Top 5 DE salaries)? This is assuming an exclusive franchise tag, btw.

I'm starting to get a little confused...I know Abraham is a FA, but ppl keep talking about a trade. Is this assuming that the Jets franchise him? If so, does anyone know what sort of contract we'll need to offer to even trade for him (i.e. what is the avg of Top 5 DE salaries)? This is assuming an exclusive franchise tag, btw.

they franchised him last year

they franchised him last year

This doesn't necessarily mean they can't franchise him this year, right? Just that they probably don't want to take the cap hit. I averaged 2004's Top 5 and it comes out to about 5.35 mil. That means to franchise him again, they would have to pay him 120% of that, which comes out to about 6.42 mil...a pretty big cap hit.

I'm not sure about that first statement so let me know if I'm wrong - franchise rules can be kinda puzzling.

Now I'm sure that HE would rather come here and grab a huge signing bonus w/ a much smaller base salary (so he wouldn't be such a large cap hit to us, initially), but I just wonder if the Jets wouldn't just tag him solely for the purpose of getting something in return.

Which would be risky, considering that most teams wouldn't be willing to take on his contract or give up two 1st rounders.

Again, feel free to let me know how jacked up I am on this one.

Us being "interested" in Abraham is so vague - I'm quite positive we are "interested" in countless players. And I don't think it takes Jay Glazer to inform us that we are considering making a move for a top defensive end, when a position of need for us is clearly defensive end. Whether or not we can acquire him is a whole other matter.

Abraham is good pass rusher, but how is he against the run?

Also, didn't he abandon his in the playoffs last year with minor injury? Do we really want a player like that?

Don't get me wrong, when the guy feels like playing is a good DE the few times I have seen him. But why take this route?

We could acquire a decent, young DE in the second round of the draft or trade up using next years 1st to really nab a great one. Also, there are so many good WRs on the Free Agent market this year. Why put ourselves in a position of a bidding war over a one of three DE worth signing, when we could acquire good, fairly young WRs at more of a premium.

You will hear no agruement from me that we need a good DE that is solid in run support and in pass rushing. Also, I agree a team can really improve itself through FA acquistion. However, as someone already mentioned, we have other issue to figure out first.

How's the old saying go: if it's not broke, don't fix it. I am not saying we are solid everywhere. I guess what I am saying is instead pulling off Maddenesqe type trades -> Abraham. This seems like the year to get solid young players through the draft and the occasion FA to fill the couple holes.

That's all. I'll get off my soap box now. Peace. Go SKINS!!!! :2cents:

Dollars to donuts he'll be tagged as he was this past season.

I'm not so sure, he's already said (in Dec) that he wanted a long-term deal. But that's not the main reason for any doubt.

He got 6.7 mil last year, which is even more than I first suspected. That means in order to tag him again, they'll have to pay him over 8 mil - all of which would count against their cap. It seems that they're either going to have to give him his long-term deal and hope that no one else can match it (i.e. let him test the FA market), or risk franchising him and hope someone will offer a trade.

If the latter is the case, I can see them taking a guy like Ramsey as suitable compensation and his new team reworking his contract to give him the long-term deal he wants.

EDIT:

Chaught76 - I think you're right, BTW. It seems pretty risky to give a guy like this the kind of deal he wants. The absolute most I'd feel comfortable giving him would be 4 yrs. The last time the Skins took a gamble like that was on Daryl Gardener. It worked out for a year (with the aid of cortizone). But he was finished the next year with the Broncos. There is a difference, of course. Which is worse, knee or back problems?

Although, I will say that while I don't think "it" is broke, it really could be a lot better with a pass-rushing DE. I think this is one of the top 2 areas of need (JMO).

Abraham is a me-first player and I think the Redskins really have to take a look at how he fits into the concept of team here in DC before we pull the trigger on a deal for big dollars for him.

Anyone remember Abraham sitting out a couple of games with the Jets in the playoff hunt back in 2003 because of his upcoming status as a FA who didn't want to risk losing dollars by playing on an injured ankle?

Archived