Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Relocating to DC area

Saeth29

Well the job I am coming for is in Reston. I'm not use to the 'Big' city life, and everyone tells me traffic is hell up there. So i'm guessing that close to Reston would be the best bet for me

SkinsHokieFan, looking at craigslist now, thanks for the suggestion

Well the job I am coming for is in Reston. I'm not use to the 'Big' city life, and everyone tells me traffic is hell up there. So i'm guessing that close to Reston would be the best bet for me

SkinsHokieFan, looking at craigslist now, thanks for the suggestion

Look in the Vienna area, real nice. Al little expensive but its a cool area. Also, make sure to check out the Dunn Loring area, its blowing up.

If your working in Reston you need to find a place right next to Redskins Park! Then you can keep us filled on on the comings and goings going on there. :) Ashburn here you come!

I know! thats what i was thinking too! Needless to say, I'm excited!!

I suggest you find a place that is very close to the Dulles Toll Road as that is how you will be getting to work. My buddy lives right off the toll road in Reston and he commutes to Tyson's and he says it takes him 20 minutes tops. The toll road is usually traffic free compared to most of the highways in the arean (495, 95, 66)

I suggest you find a place that is very close to the Dulles Toll Road as that is how you will be getting to work. My buddy lives right off the toll road in Reston and he commutes to Tyson's and he says it takes him 20 minutes tops. The toll road is usually traffic free compared to most of the highways in the arean (495, 95, 66)

Yeah, my work is right off Fairfax co. parkway, so its right there close to the toll road. That is a good suggestion, thanks!

Man its expensive up in this area... LOL. anybody looking for a roommate??:laugh: j/k

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start to look for places? Am I stuck with $1200+ monthly rent? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to be closer to the Redskins!!:point2sky

If you can afford $1200, you probably afford an interest only loan on a Condo. It would be the best move you ever made, even if you were only going to live there 2-3 years. Check it out at least

If you can afford $1200, you probably afford an interest only loan on a Condo. It would be the best move you ever made, even if you were only going to live there 2-3 years. Check it out at least

Yeah I have had some people tell me to look into it, but I'm not sure if I would be able to pull that off right now. That does really look like the best move, as you stated, but I probably can't look into that move until 6+ months down the road.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this one but:

After I graduate with my accounting degree in about 2 years, I am looking for the cheapest place with a reasonable drive to FedEx. I was thinking Richmond's north side because I think it's only about 2 hours away. Any bargain cities that I could live in and drive to DC every weekend?

After I graduate with my accounting degree in about 2 years, I am looking for the cheapest place with a reasonable drive to FedEx. I was thinking Richmond's north side because I think it's only about 2 hours away. Any bargain cities that I could live in and drive to DC every weekend?

Manassas.

Calvert county (souther md.) is 40-45 min. away and more resonable than most that close in.

I dont want to burst your bubble, but assuming that, as a first time homebuyer, you dont have much $ for a downpayment, buying may be tough for you. I am a mortgage loan officer, so I know that the biggest obstacle for first time homebuyers is coming up with the money for a downpayment and closing costs.

So, lets say you dont have $25,000 in the bank, you are looking at 100% financing, split into 2 loans, called an 80/20. If you want your monthly payment to be around $1200, you need to factor in the payment on the loan (Interest only would be the way to go) plus taxes and the condo fee. So you are probably talking about a sub $200k condo, which is going to be tough to find.

Best option, find someone to buy it with. You'll be glad you did, homes appreciate around here awfully quick, and an asset worth several hundred thousand dollar asset that appreciates at 6-10% annually is serious, serious money.

Lots of apartments or rental condos in Reston. Also, try Sterling.

I've tried to look up apts in these areas on line allll day.. but the same places keep coming up. Anyone know any sites that may help? Someone suggested craigslists, and that helped, but now I'm finding the same apts from that site as well.

being over 4 hours away, its hard to drive around town and see if anything is open.

thanks!!

Charles county in MD is over ½ the price LESS than Northern VA on average, dunno bout rent though, im talking about buying. 1500 square foot house here was 300k almost 2 years ago, while in arlington similar places were over 700k.

3-4 Bedrooms 2FullBaths, double garage, half acre lot (goodluck finding a half acre lot in nova :rolleyes: ) Its only 30-45 mins from where i am

to FedEx. P.S. I have heard bath things about PG County MD, stuff like contaminated water, houses with asbestos in em that were built in the last 6 years.. just heard this tho...

Richmond is 2 hours from Waldorf where im at , i drive down there for work alot..... so FedEx would be about 2:45 from you .. just head up rout 301, which runs into 214 , takes u right to stadium

If you are interested in renting, there are several places you can go in as "low income". Just have to ask. Plus ask if they have any good deals with the company you work for. Some apartment complexes will have these available but they just don't want to let you know.

There's Archstone off right off of Baron Cameron near the Reston Town Center.

There are also new condo's on the other side of Reston in Herndon close to the Bell Tower off the Toll Road and more apartment complexes in that area you can try out.

Further out, Ashburn has Saddle Ridge and several condos in Ashburn Village, a mile from Redskins Park.

You may want to try out looking at townhomes for rent by owner-sometimes you'll find a good deal on these.

Good luck finding a place to live!

Archived