WP:More Charges Filed Against Redskins' Taylor

Love_Them_Dirtbags

The Washington Post is reporting it this morning:

---------------

More Charges Filed Against Redskins' Taylor

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, January 27, 2006; 12:15 PM

A Florida prosecutor filed a new charging document against Redskins safety Sean Taylor this morning, increasing the potential jail time he faces if convicted of felony assault charges.

Miami-Dade prosecutor Mike Grieco said no hearings are scheduled between now and Taylor's trial date of March 20 and that he is prepared to begin the proceedings then.

Taylor, 22, was charged with felony aggravated assault, as well as a misdemeanor count of battery, after being arrested last year for allegedly brandishing a firearm at three individuals he believes stole two all-terrain vehicles from him.

Originally, he faced one count of felony assault, with three victims listed, but Grieco has now changed the charge to three separate counts -- one for each victim. Taylor could be found guilty or not guilty on each count, and each carries a three-year mandatory minimum sentence under Florida law if he is convicted. Taylor also still faces one count of simple battery, which was unchanged by today's filing.

Previously, Taylor's maximum jail sentence would have been 16 years, but now it is 46, although as a first-time offender it is would be unlikely he would receive such a long sentence.

Taylor's lawyer, Ed Carhart, filed a written statement of not guilty as a procedural matter in the hearing.

The case was postponed several times at Carhart's request during the season, with Taylor starting for the Redskins through the playoffs. Grieco said he hopes that the March 20 trial date will hold.

Carhart was not immediately available for comment on the new charging document; calls to his office phone were not answered.

"I see it going to trial in March," Grieco said. "Unless another trial on the judge's schedule comes up, I think we'll begin March 20. We're certainly trial ready."

Wow, another prosecutor over-dramatizing a case to make a name for himself hoping that he'll be able to become a defense attorney and make some REAL money. Just out of curiousity, did Taylor file a counter-suit against these 3 fine and upstanding gentleman that shot up his ride?

What a stupid justice system they have in florida. 46 years for the guy that hurt no one.....witness stand for the punks that shot up a house and tried to kill people.

Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

BTW - Mandatory sentencing is stupid and this kind of **** is the product of kind of stupidity in action. One size fits all "justice"

What a stupid justice system they have in florida. 46 years for the guy that hurt no one.....witness stand for the punks that shot up a house and tried to kill people.

Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

BTW - Mandatory sentencing is stupid and this kind of **** is the product of stupid thinking in action.

It's Florida.....The only other state with less common sense is Cali. Although I have to admit, FLA is giving them a run for their money. :doh:

Wow, another prosecutor over-dramatizing a case to make a name for himself hoping that he'll be able to become a defense attorney and make some REAL money. Just out of curiousity, did Taylor file a counter-suit against these 3 fine and upstanding gentleman that shot up his ride?

That is exactly what it is. If the DA gets lucky and wins he'll make a great name for himself.

If this was a player on another squad ,would we be saying this?

Yeah right. You know that people (and I don't mean everyone) have double standards around here.

I will never be a big fan of ST just for the fact that he wouldn't even return Gibbs' phone calls in the offseason. His arrest just added to the cause.

I would. 3 years for brandishing a weapon, fine, I think that MIGHT be reasonable. But threatening with 46 years? Convicted murderers get less time than that. :doh:

Except, with the three seperate counts, it is now a minimum of 9 years.

It also doesn't hold for a whole lot of leeway if there were reasons, or if you are a upstanding citizen otherwise. (Which basically Taylor is.)

Jason

It's Florida.....The only other state with less common sense is Cali. Although I have to admit, FLA is giving them a run for their money. :doh:

I llived in South Flordia for 4 1/2 years and I have to imagine there is no difference between what I expericenced and what cowboys and ealry settlerls experienced out west in the 1800's. :laugh:

Its a lawless state, its the new wild west man. I can't believe they are spending so much energy on this with the mulititude of issues and problems they have...

Why go there?

Not being negative or anything but this goes on everyday in our community (justice system) but when a celebrity gets caught up in the system everybody comes out of the wood work to say the system is wrong and I just dont get it. I do not want ST to go to jail but hey he will not be the first and he d*mn sure wont be the last.

means nothing, just a scare tatic to try an get a plea bargin. He knows he has no case

Exactly.

The want to try and make him "regret" not taking the three-year deal they offered him last year. I'd say he has a 0% chance of doing any actual jail time, especially with the lack of evidence.

means nothing, just a scare tatic to try an get a plea bargin. He knows he has no case

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what do you base this confidence upon? I have never felt like I've had enough information on this incident to know what was really going on that day.

Except, with the three seperate counts, it is now a minimum of 9 years.

It also doesn't hold for a whole lot of leeway if there were reasons, or if you are a upstanding citizen otherwise. (Which basically Taylor is.)

Jason

Well, they still would have to prove he is guilty on each count so technically the minimum is still three years if they can only prove he is guilty on one count. Plus, first time offender, wont serve consecutively. I still say worse case scenario he will do three years.

Archived