Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you all know Campbell is the answer?

Spaceman Spiff

Well I am very much hoping that JC starts next year, and you should too.

The reason is pretty simple. Mark Brunell is a very good, proven, NFL QB. There is no reason to make the switch.

Unless Gibbs thinks campbell is better. I trust gibbs, and if he puts campbell in ahead of someone as good as brunell is, then we should all get ready for an amazing season.

Having Musgrave helps

And now Saunders helps. He is being put into a very good situation where he doesn't have to "win" games, just manage them

This saying almost reminds me of the Pittsbugh Steelers situation with their QB, Ben Roth...

He was put in "not to win games" but to manage them. He had an outstanding rookie year and now, in his second year, he is on his way to the Superbowl, the rest is history. Somebody did something right!

Jason Campell, with your strong arm, mobility and good decision making... I am looking forward to seeing you do your thing and take this team to the promise land.

I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but whatever....

IMO, the jury is still out. Yeah, he's had good years in college, the reports from camp are good, etc.

Actualy, he only had one good year in college. Also had an average one and a bad one. Might be worth noting that his good one was with Ronni and Cadilac. Mix that with the odds on QBs panning out, and there is not much reason for optimism.

But we have no choice. We have to trust Gibbs.

I also agree completely that no matter what, Campbell would at least be a step back before the 2 forward.

and how do we know Campbell will not be the answer?

all we can go on for now, is that Gibbs knows QB's, his recent personell moves have mostly all been very good, and he liked Campbell so much he traded away picks for him.

The last time he did that we got Chris Cooley... he has worked out okay so far...

This isn't about JC being the future or not. You don't go into a season starting the rookie with an elder Brunell in reserve. If JC started and was injured or doesn't develop, and you have to fall back to Brunell, you put yourself into a bad situation (depending on Ramsey situation).

Regardless of your opinions of him, JC is the direction JG has chosen for this team, and until I see otherwise that is enough for me. My prediction, Brunell starts plays until injuries/age finally catch up to a great veteran QB, JC takes over and leads team into playoff for a second straight year.

Hail to the Redskins

I've been consistent in saying that our current starter (I didn't use his name Spiff :D ) would be next season's starter unless some health issue rises betweeen now and then. That's still my position. Now unexpected things may happen, but that's what I consider the most reasonable event to expect.

To me, it's also the one that based on my perception of current reality ;) is a logical decision. I certainly am aware of the strongly disagreeing stances.

I've also said that this means we need to make sure whoever is going to be #2 (like Jason) will face pressure beyond the norm for the situation. They will need to step in with enough poise and proficiency to take the team deep into the play-offs.

I say that because I also expect if such a move needs to be made, it will be at a point close to the end of the regular season with the team in play-off contention. :2cents:

It's not like JC is going to get the keys to a hooptie in the NFL.

Many people forget that Ben Roethlisberger succeeded where so many NFL rookies failed because Pittsburgh had a great offense, just no one to drive it. An excellent OLine coached by Russ Grim, great WRs in Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, and Antwan Randel EL. A future Hall of Fame running back in Jerome Bettis and a solid one in Duce Staley. Willie Parker played for them late in the season last year as well.

Usually first round QBs go to horrible teams on offense, like Alex Smith in San Francisco. Pittsburgh already had their offense in place, just a few years before, they were riding the shoulders of comeback player of that year Tommy Maddox and had a good scoring offense. When Tommy Maddox broke down the next year, they had no driver anymore, so they picked up Big Ben.

It is very rare for a QB to excel in the first year that they are actually playing, but surronding them with talent helps tremendously. We have a 1,500 back, a 1,400 wr, a 700 yard te/hb, and a great OLine all there to help him.

Hopefully JC isn't anything like Joey Harrington, and actually makes use of his weapons if JC is indeed called upon to lead the team.

If the Skins need an "anwser" for a QB that threw 24 and 10, then maybe we need an anwser for Portis and Moss too. :rolleyes: Brunell is clearly good enough to lead a talented team with weapons and a good defense to the Super Bowl. I would argue that others ran out of gas rather than he. The Skins just need to shore up a couple of things (discussed ad nauseum) and he will be fine.

Campbell is gonna have to show coaches a lot in mini camps and utter dominance over second stringers playing vanilla defense in preseason just to get a preseason start. Then maybe we can have a controversey, until then...

Simply put, it is plainly ignorant to suggest the team is Campbell's to start next season. It shouldn't be. Brunell, fresh, is likely going to be the top option we have. Watching him early in the year compared to the last couple of games and you can really see how big the changes were. But, fresh or not, it is Brunell's job because he's earned it with a fine season and generally heady play.

Campbell is merely a guy with tremendous potential who gets you excited because you haven't seen enough of him to get discouraged :). Like with Patrick Ramsey to be fair. Campbell is a guy who has great touch, accuracy and a powerful arm. He can be the answer. He also could fail miserably. We won't know for a couple of years to be totally honest.

Unfortunately there are a number of people who would like to discredit those who helped us go as far as we did because they don't understand how beneficial those players were for us. Fortunately we have a smart coaching staff that won't rush Campbell simply because foolish people shout his name. At least we'll know he'll play when he's ready to play and for no other reason.

Excellent post, Art!!!!:cheers:

Why do you think he won't be?

QB's are a total crap shoot. There's absolutely no reliable way to determine who will succeed and who will not. He could be a Roethlisberger or a Leaf at this point.

If you're looking for signs of encouragement, think about how he's had a whole year to sit and absorb the offense. He's totally healthy. He's got a great collection of coaches to guide him, especially Gibbs. He's playing for a team with a solid foundation - at RB and more importantly at O-line. He's not going to be thrown to the wolves, or asked to throw 50 times a game ala PR.

No reason NOT to be optimistic IMO.

Actualy, he only had one good year in college. Also had an average one and a bad one. Might be worth noting that his good one was with Ronni and Cadilac. Mix that with the odds on QBs panning out, and there is not much reason for optimism.

He had one great season, and two ok/average seasons. I fail to see where he had a "bad" season (are you referring to 2003?). He maintained atleast a 60% completion percentage throughout his college career, and never threw more picks than TDs. And its also worth noting that Brown and Williams were there every season Campbell was the starter.

No one knows if JC is the answer or not. But everyone posting on this board knows what a team has to do if they want a franchise QB. Draft him and suffer the reality of their first season as a starter. Some work out well some do not but there is no escaping the reality that at some point you have to hand the ball over and let him play.

We know what we have in Brunell. We have a guy that when perfectly healthy is a good QB. We also know that he gets worse as the season goes on. He started strong and then vanished at the end averaging 130+ yards a game during our 5 game win streak.

So then you have a guy that hasn't shown he can produce for a whole season (and had a bit of a fumble problem during our losing period in the middle of the year) or a unknown kid with a lot of upside but no experience. Gibbs will make the choice he feels is correct.

Archived