Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you all know Campbell is the answer?

Spaceman Spiff

I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but whatever....

How are so many people on here totally convinced that Campbell is the answer? What has he shown so far to make you believe that? IMO we haven't seen ENOUGH or know enough to make claims such as that.

Now let me make a few things clear:

1. This isn't an anti Campbell thread.

2. This isn't a pro Brunell thread.

3. This isn't a Brunell bashing thread.

4. There will be NO mentioning of Patrick Ramsey.

So don't try to turn it into any of those things.

I just simply want to hear why people think we can turn the keys over to Campbell next year and expect to improve upon this year?

IMO, the jury is still out. Yeah, he's had good years in college, the reports from camp are good, etc. However, we've heard good reports on players before and have them do absolutely nothing. He has the physical tools, no doubt. In the brief time he played in the pre season, I liked his poise and pocket prescence, he seemed really cool.

I think he's got a good chance at starting next year, but he'll really have to earn it.

I agree, the jury is out. I feel he could've been the best QB to come out in '05. I also feel he didn't peak like many QB's due peak in college and never pan out.

Why do I feel this way? Because of my faith in Joe Gibbs and his knowledge of quarterbacks. Gibbs knows QB's and I feel there is a very good chance that Campbell is the answer. However, he may not start until '07.

How would anyone know if you can succeed if never given the chance? I think he has alot of potential and should start based off that alone; sounds crazy but that's the way the ball rolls. Eli Manning didn't show anything before he became the starter. Everyone had to start some where.

I saw him play live ;)

And before that game I was not impressed at all by JC, mainly because of ignorance, mainly because I thought if VT stops the two headed rushing attack, Auburn melts and loses

Well that did not happen

The Hokie D stuffed the Auburn run that day. Caddilac and Ronnie Brown may have had 50-60 yards each

Jason Campbell though killed that D (and it was a top 5 D in NCAA football in 2004)

On 3rd and long's he consistantly got first downs

He moved very well in the pocket and showed me a very good arm

He showed me leadership skills

And his TD pass in the 3rd quarter was a perfectly thrown pass on a rope. Jimmy Williams had the coverage but JC put it where only his WR could get it

I think with a year under his belt, and the chance to learn the O without any pressure of playing will help him

Having Musgrave helps

And now Saunders helps. He is being put into a very good situation where he doesn't have to "win" games, just manage them

I don't know random person who has never led the Redskins to three super bowls. How about you have faith in the guy who did lead your team to three super bowls. And think about all the other draft picks hes made and how theyve worked out since hes back. And think about how last year we did everything in our power to trade into the third round for chris cooley. Gibbs handpicks certain players that he wants in his system becaus he knows they will fit and knows they will be successful.

Right now I think we are just going off of what Gibbs has said. I agree that its all speculation and that we wont know until Campbell hits the field, but given Gibbs track record with QBs, I think we can feel somewhat bolder about giving Campbell early praise (even though he hasnt done anything yet).

Space

Mark it down. I agree with you. We don't know. We won't know until, well, until much time has passed.

It's not even likely that a 'good' preseason means anything. Good and bad performances have often meant exactly the opposite during the regular season.

:rotflmao: Oh really?? Dude...let it go...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good answers everyone.

I just see people make these blatant statements on here:

WE NEED TO HAVE CAMPBELL START NEXT YEAR

Campbell is the answer.

"The Mods can change my avatar if Campbell doesn't start next year"

I just wanted to hear what made some people so sure of themselves to make sweeping statements like that, or why they think Campbell has a good shot.

Right now, to me, it's 50-50. I know Gibbs is high on him, but he's also high on Brunell as well.

I don't want it to come down to Gibbs being forced to play him, like he practically was with Ramsey last year because if that happens that probably means things aren't going so well. The transition needs to be nice and smooth.

I do have faith in Gibbs. and 3cardMonte put it best, the man knows qb's.

Simply put, it is plainly ignorant to suggest the team is Campbell's to start next season. It shouldn't be. Brunell, fresh, is likely going to be the top option we have. Watching him early in the year compared to the last couple of games and you can really see how big the changes were. But, fresh or not, it is Brunell's job because he's earned it with a fine season and generally heady play.

Campbell is merely a guy with tremendous potential who gets you excited because you haven't seen enough of him to get discouraged :). Like with Patrick Ramsey to be fair. Campbell is a guy who has great touch, accuracy and a powerful arm. He can be the answer. He also could fail miserably. We won't know for a couple of years to be totally honest.

Unfortunately there are a number of people who would like to discredit those who helped us go as far as we did because they don't understand how beneficial those players were for us. Fortunately we have a smart coaching staff that won't rush Campbell simply because foolish people shout his name. At least we'll know he'll play when he's ready to play and for no other reason.

I just don't think there is any by-passing the rookie learning curve.

You can keep a guy on the bench for a year or two... and you can soften the impact of rookie mistakes... but there is just no substitute for game experience.

I think when Campbell does get the nod, we'll take a step back. We can't expect him to be a Roethlisburger/Brady... that is unrealistic.

Guys like McNabb and Palmer (who got to sit for a year) struggled quite a bit in their initial outings... and the team suffered... but it was beneficial in the long term.

I expect the same with Campbell. I really think this team will need to take a step back in order to take 2 forward. If he starts next year, I will be very, very, very surprised if we make the playoffs. If Brunell starts, I will be surprised as well. Another year means he will run out of gas even earlier.

As crazy as it sounds, I see next year as a rebuilding year, no matter which QB we have behind center.

Campbell is merely a guy with tremendous potential who gets you excited because you haven't seen enough of him to get discouraged :). Like with Patrick Ramsey to be fair. Campbell is a guy who has great touch, accuracy and a powerful arm.

Hmmm...touch, accuracy and a powerful arm...everything Brunell doesnt have; well I'll give him touch. Anyway, did Brunell really lead us or was he just along for the ride?

Start Campbell. It's time.

It's time for Campbell to take of his hat an earn his paycheck.

At Brunell's age, it's gonna be tougher and tougher for him to start the season fresh. He's playing on barrowed time at this point, and we'll be needing to find out about Campbell before the end of next season. IMO, Brunell won't make it through the 16 game schedule.

I agree, we don't know he is the answer unless a plays, a lot.

I do know that with the Redskins defense, and all the pieces in place on offense (Portis, Moss, the line), when Campbell comes in it will be a lot easier for him to be successful... unlike someone like Carr, or Manning, and like someone named Roethlisberger. I don't expect him to do as good as Roethlisberger... but remember what Alan Faneca said about Roethlisberger when he started... something about "No one wants to play with a rookie QB."

Hmmm...touch, accuracy and a powerful arm...everything Brunell doesnt have; well I'll give him touch. Anyway, did Brunell really lead us or was he just along for the ride?

Start Campbell. It's time.

It's time for Campbell to take of his hat an earn his paycheck.

I knew this thread would take this turn, I hoped it wouldn't, but it did.

Anyway, I remember several long balls to Moss this year. Two to help behead the Cowboys, in particular.

When healthy, Brunell has the arm. I don't think you can make the claim that he doesn't have touch or accuracy. This isn't Jeff George here ;)

Brunell had the best season of his career this past year. 24 tds, 10 picks, I think all 32 NFL teams would take production like that.

I think anybody who uses the phrase "the answer" or "the future" to describe a quarterback ought to be banned.

Hahaha yeah, I agree! I certainly remember getting into some heated debates this past summer about Ramsey, this one guy kept saying he was the answer...I think his screename was...oh wait, it was you! ;) :laugh:

Hahaha yeah, I agree! I certainly remember getting into some heated debates this past summer about Ramsey, this one guy kept saying he was the answer...I think his screename was...oh wait, it was you! ;) :laugh:

I don't remember ever using that phrase. I'm speaking strictly on principle here. Some phrases get overused to the point where they become a substitute for thinking. Campbell was drafted in the first round, and the team gave up a couple of mid-round picks to get into that position. Nevertheless, he was not a high first round pick like some of the QBs people on here keep trying to compare him to, and his salary is not huge, so he can play or not play according to what's best for the team, and if he doesn't pan out, it won't be some kind of Ryan Leaf-type disaster. The only way he can really hurt the team is if we insist on playing him when he's not ready, or make the mistake of betting all our chips on him.

Spiff,

I agree with your post 100%. You are spot on with everything, but I just want to mention how sad it is that you have to defend the topic. It is a touchy subject, though:laugh:

I will say that Gibbs clearly knows he's the answer because he traded the farm to draft him, haha. As far as next year is concerned, well.........

I don't remember ever using that phrase. I'm speaking strictly on principle here. Some phrases get overused to the point where they become a substitute for thinking. Campbell was drafted in the first round, and the team gave up a couple of mid-round picks to get into that position. Nevertheless, he was not a high first round pick like some of the QBs people on here keep trying to compare him to, and his salary is not huge, so he can play or not play according to what's best for the team, and if he doesn't pan out, it won't be some kind of Ryan Leaf-type disaster. The only way he can really hurt the team is if we insist on playing him when he's not ready, or make the mistake of betting all our chips on him.

Hahaha, I agree man. I'm just giving you a hard time :)

Archived