Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Rivalry?

OVCChairman

Maybe. Maybe not. But memories can be long in the NFL I think. That's one reason why the media lables games like this " Rematch between 2 teams who met in the playoffs ...". The Bucs and Skins have developed a bit of a rivalry and Seattle and the Skins have have played some tough games.. could lead to a little something.

ok just cus a team beats us in the playoffs doesnt make them our rival

wow you guys are distorting this thread, the whole point of this thread was to get a reaction as to how you would veiw the seahawks. Maybe rival wasnt the best word, but we played them 2 times this year, beating them in a squeeker, and they beat us on the road to the SUPERBOWL. They ended our win streak, i guess my question is....is there a grudge you hold against the Seahawks, next time we play them is there going to be a huge amount of threads saying "Remember the 05 season." next time they play will you have a chip on your shoulder and will you want to beat them that much more?

I could care less about them. One fluke season doesn't erase decades of futility. Not to mention, their fans think they are the best in the NFL. It's no fun to root against someone that is delusional.

It's like holding a grudge against a kid who believes in Santa Claus. Yeah, he might have gotten a nice present, but he still sits on stranger's lap wearing a white beard and pees his pants at night.

No, Seattle is not a rival. To be a rival, you must have each team's fans knowing something about the other team. I was at the Seattle game, and after talking to their fans, they could only name a few Redskins -- Portis, Brunnel, Moss, Taylor, and Arrington. On the other hand, talk to a true rival -- a Dallas fan -- and they can list even the most smallest of details about the Redskins. Hell, their message board has threads dedicated to the Skins' salary cap situation. Now, that's what a rivalry is all about.

Also, the way the schedule is now designed, we play them once every three years with the possibility of meeting in the playoffs. We would need to string together a few more years of meeting in the playoffs for there to be a rivalry in my opinion.

I DO think you can have an inter-divisional rivalry. For example, the Patriots and Colts definately have a rivalry going. Obviously, it's a much more fluid situation (the Colts and Pats weren't really rivals 5 years ago, for instance, even though they played in the same division). The Cowboys and the 49ers had a rivalry going about 10 years ago.

For a rivalry to develop, both teams have to be really good. They have to meet most years, either in the playoffs or in the regular season.

If we were to meet the Seahawks in the playoffs again next season, then that could be the start of a rivalry, depending on what round it would be in and what the result was. With Tampa a rivalry could very well be forming, as we have played them 4 times in the last 3 seasons and will be playing them again next year. But both teams will have to have strong campaigns again in '06.

In short, if we want to consider any team outside of the NFC East our "rivals", we have to maintain this high level of play. And the other teams will have to, as well.

No I think the team we have started a new rivalry w/is Tampa Bay...It seems like we play them every yr and pretty much always beat them...

I agree...Tampa Bay is kind of a new rivalry. But I am hating Seattle more right now...

PS: Hasslebeck talks like he hasn't hit puberty yet

I could care less about them. One fluke season doesn't erase decades of futility. Not to mention, their fans think they are the best in the NFL. It's no fun to root against someone that is delusional.

Its funny, but replace decades (plural) with decade, and you pretty much summed up exactly how i feel about skins fans

I agree with the general consensus here, if we have a rival outside of this division its got to be tampa, after that regular season result and the ensuing playoff game. I think next seasons games against tampa are going to be something to marvel at. We defiinitely have the momentum on them.

No I think the team we have started a new rivalry w/is Tampa Bay...It seems like we play them every yr and pretty much always beat them...

When I read the title of this tread I just knew that the author was going to say the new rivalry was with Tampa as well. Totally agree! :owned:

I agree with what others have posted, it's with Tampa that a new rivalry is taking place.

Let's look at the matchups over the years since the Bucs got pretty good.

1996- we need a win to keep our postseason hopes alive.....Tampa ends them in Dungy's first year as HC.

1998- we return the favor, Tampa is on a hot streak to end the season and are trying to make the playoffs and we beat them at FedEx to cripple their playoff dreams

1999- playoffs...the snap...need I say more?

2000- OT win for the Skins. Deion's only memorable good play for the Skins.

2003- LaVar threatens to fight Sapp if Sapp tries to walk through the Skins warmups......Bucs win big anyway.

2004- The Return of Gibbs. CP 64 yard TD on his first carry as a Skin. Great defensive performance by the Skins.

2005- 2 point conversion

2005- playoffs....Skins win with great D....spitting incident

Also, unlike Seattle, we'll play Tampa yet again in the 2006 regular season.

and we've only been dating since this past June....I took her to the game agains Dallas and it put her over the top, she cant get enough football and loves the Skins

Man, you need to give me some tips, I've been married 5 years, and can't get my wife to shake her love of Dallas.......It's ok though, I have a 5 year old daughter that watches every game with me, and loves them, and she even wears pink Skins outfits and hats.....It's a beautiful thing :D

This definetly got me thinking, and no i don't think as the trans continental rivalry as something that is going to be picked up by espn monday night football every time its on. But like i said i thought about it and i thought about teams i hate and they definetly go in this order

Dallas - "Get'er Done..." Stupid cowboy fans

Philly - they are so close to being number 1

Giants - Eli Manning

Bucs - I can say I hate them

Raiders - beat us in a superbowl, i dont like watching it when its on ESPNC

Vikings - Purple

Ravens - Purple and my gf's dad paints his hair purple for games....

Jets - no skins affiliation I'm tiered of LI/NJ kids at school

Pat - no skins affiliation I'm tiered of Boston kids at school

Yankees - wrong sport but if i'm mentioning hating...

rest of the teams are about the same. Don't care for them. just want to beat them. Oh and the browns should loose their team again.

Archived