Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Larry Michaels Sucks

supersmartbrunell5

Twist ? No.. Point out what he has done ? Yes..

You will get it one day young Buck.. You will see. And perhaps you don't remember what Redskins.com was like a year ago.

And if you don't remember what it was like then, check this out, http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://redskins.com

Stuff there from the early days though not all of the links work and some of the images are gone as well though it is a great indication of the point that airborne is trying to make. I'll say it again, Larry has done an amazing job spearheading the upgrade of that site.

Why is this? Look at what he has done for the Redskins this season alone. You know this site that you are on? Correct me if I am wrong, but he helped merge it with Redskins.com . He has also turned Redskins.com into one of the elite Team websites. So other than his play by play calling, what don't you like? Redskins.com TV? Well how many other teams have as much video of thier team as we do? Or how about the Post-Game coverage, how many other sites do you see that on? Redskins Unfiltered. I don't know about you, but I like hearing it straight from the team as opposed to the story getting screwed in the Papers. :2cents:

I must admit I enjoy the Redskins.com TV a lot!!

Twist ? No.. Point out what he has done ? Yes..

You will get it one day young Buck.. You will see. And perhaps you don't remember what Redskins.com was like a year ago.

I've seen what redskins.com was like 3 years ago, at least. I like what it is now, but I do not like Larry Michaels. You were implying that I don't like all the new additions to the site, but I do.

Why is this? Look at what he has done for the Redskins this season alone. You know this site that you are on? Correct me if I am wrong, but he helped merge it with Redskins.com . He has also turned Redskins.com into one of the elite Team websites. So other than his play by play calling, what don't you like? Redskins.com TV? Well how many other teams have as much video of thier team as we do? Or how about the Post-Game coverage, how many other sites do you see that on? Redskins Unfiltered. I don't know about you, but I like hearing it straight from the team as opposed to the story getting screwed in the Papers. :2cents:

No argument here that Michael is a much better at business & promotion than he is at broadcasting & journalism. On that level, he's a perfect fit.

Cheers,

CLBinMD

I've seen what redskins.com was like 3 years ago, at least. I like what it is now, but I do not like Larry Michaels. You were implying that I don't like all the new additions to the site, but I do.

I was answering the following quote with my posts. You see Larry Michaels was a big part in changing the site. He is a marketing genius.

I'm surprised whoever hires these people kept him for so long.

Actually yes you did. Apologists is a term much like haters that I see on sites like this. They are used commonly used when wanting to lump a group of people with a similar, if not shared opinion on a subject. Just like you're doing in the quoted reply in this post. In this case, that subject is Larry Michaels.

Actually, NO.....I didn't. Ridiculous to waste packets on this but since you've moved on to telling me what I said rather than reading what I wrote...

You are the one doing the very thing you're accusing me of. Apologist is a real world, found in a dictionary. ApologistS simply states that there is more than one. Hater is not.

Check it out some time....

Cheers,

CLBinMD

I gotta figure it's easier to get into people's hearts calling Riggins' breakaway 4th down run to win the Super Bowl than it has been to call Spurrier's Super Boogie Atomic Lip Flap.

:laugh:

With apologies to Dave Barry, "Super Boogie Atomic Lip Flap" would be an AWESOME name for a rock band.

Obviously, I'm as far from 'objective' as you can get.

But one thing you guys don't have a sense of, and thats just how hard this guy works, and considering the obligations he's got, just how good he is at what he does. He is the driving force, along with Gary Fitzgerald, of redskins.com, arguably the busiest and most expansive NFL team site on the web. If you put all of the content he's been responsible for producing this year up at one time, the sheer volume of it would blow you away. And on top of all that, I admire the guy - he's one of the most ego-less 'celebrities' I've ever met.

He'll drink a beer with you and talk football just like any other Redskin's fan if he has the opportunity. A genuinely nice guy.

But one thing you guys don't have a sense of, and thats just how hard this guy works, and considering the obligations he's got, just how good he is at what he does. He is the driving force, along with Gary Fitzgerald, of redskins.com, arguably the busiest and most expansive NFL team site on the web. If you put all of the content he's been responsible for producing this year up at one time, the sheer volume of it would blow you away. And on top of all that, I admire the guy - he's one of the most ego-less 'celebrities' I've ever met.

He'll drink a beer with you and talk football just like any other Redskin's fan if he has the opportunity. A genuinely nice guy.

Thanks for the insight? Do you know where hangs out I would love to have a beer with him. :laugh:

My fault, I didn't mean my first post like that. I just think they could have found someone else to be the reporter, or whatever his position is called.

Ahh, and here we get to the gist of it. What to call his position? Michaels isn't really a reporter, but he plays one in his videos. The line between promoting and reporting is blurred, and some get confused by that.

arguably the busiest and most expansive NFL team site on the web. If you put all of the content he's been responsible for producing this year up at one time, the sheer volume of it would blow you away.
:applause: , arguably? how about IS, this is by far the best site, the worst though, check out the texans website, their polls are so bad and badly asembled, they look like this:

WHo dO you WAnt iNN the DrafT?

REgggie BOOSh

ThaTT Other GuY

(you get the idea guys;) ) larry has done so much for us, he may not be the best play by play guy, but he sure is great!

Numerous. That could be the understatement of this relatively new century.

You just can't help yourself can you AJ? If you don't think you're enough in any of the many threads you've started saying essentially the same thing, then you feel free to post them whenever there is the slightes opening. Man ahab. You're going to be lost at sea for a long time at this rate.

Hey PCS, one more time for you, http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141538

Looks like we've got to go do a copy and paste job in that thread since 1 place isn't good enough.

Maybe as fans we should just be very thankful for the gift that is Redskins.com TV... and not whine about a gift the organization has given us...

But it would be pretty dam cool if they could find a spot for Frank Herzog again.

Larry... Gary Fitzgerald... thanks for the hard work and time. We love the product.

sonny may have to correct him sometimes (well actually alot) but at least he's not madden!:rolleyes:

Actually, Sonny is usually correcting Sam! I swear, I love Sam to death, but I'm beginning to think that the train just might have left the station, ifyaknowwhatImean! He says some of the "funniest" things sometimes! :doh: :laugh:

I don't know if it's the inability on the part of some here to distinguish criticism of job performance from personal attack or what......

I do KNOW that he's an extremely hard working guy. I've seen quite a bit of information on the "hardest working man in show biz" angle. For example, there was very nice profile to that effect in the newpaper not that long ago. I don't KNOW that he's a nice guy as I've never met him but you seem knowledgable & honest. So, I'll take your word for it...

I do KNOW that he's adequate - at best - as a "play by play" broadcaster of NFL games. I do KNOW that he's adequate - at best - as a journalist "covering" the team. I do KNOW that he's not very good at making it clear when he's functioning in the role of objective journalist and when he's functioning in the subjective role of team spokesman. I do KNOW that it's a mistake for the organization to pretend anyone can do both at the same time.

That's all. It's my opinion. It's an honest opinion - I don't have any axe to grind. I've outlined the reasons why I think that way. I've no qualms defending that opinion from those who disagree. That's all one can do in a forum such as this.

I do find it curious that the "defenders of all things B&G" will leap to Larry's defense every time this subject comes up. Thus, the origin of the "Larry Michael apologists" comments in my earlier post.

I've liked a LOT of people that that weren't good at their jobs. Doesn't make them BAD people...

Cheers,

CLBinMD

His interview with Gibbs is horrible. All he does is kiss everyone's butt and when he asks the question about quarterbacks he just praises them and doesn't try to pry into who might start. I'm sure gibbs wouldn't tell him anyways but this guy is so lame and never gets juicy details its so annoying.

I've known for some time you're BrunellSuperbowl's little brother.

Is there a third sibling?

"BrunellsGutsPlayedOut"?

I don't know if it's the inability on the part of some here to distinguish criticism of job performance from personal attack or what......

I do KNOW that he's an extremely hard working guy. I've seen quite a bit of information on the "hardest working man in show biz" angle. For example, there was very nice profile to that effect in the newpaper not that long ago. I don't KNOW that he's a nice guy as I've never met him but you seem knowledgable & honest. So, I'll take your word for it...

I do KNOW that he's adequate - at best - as a "play by play" broadcaster of NFL games. I do KNOW that he's adequate - at best - as a journalist "covering" the team. I do KNOW that he's not very good at making it clear when he's functioning in the role of objective journalist and when he's functioning in the subjective role of team spokesman. I do KNOW that it's a mistake for the organization to pretend anyone can do both at the same time.

That's all. It's my opinion. It's an honest opinion - I don't have any axe to grind. I've outlined the reasons why I think that way. I've no qualms defending that opinion from those who disagree. That's all one can do in a forum such as this.

I do find it curious that the "defenders of all things B&G" will leap to Larry's defense every time this subject comes up. Thus, the origin of the "Larry Michael apologists" comments in my earlier post.

I've liked a LOT of people that that weren't good at their jobs. Doesn't make them BAD people...

Cheers,

CLBinMD

You're making rational reasoned arguments, as opposed to the thread-starter who titled his masterpiece 'Larry Michael's Sucks!'. I think a lot of the reaction you're getting is more in response to that tone than anything you've said.

I've likely heard less of Michael's game broadcasts than most. So I'll defer to others on his talents there. I will say though, that while I have the same nostalgia and admiration for Frank 'Touchdown! Washington Redskins!' Herzog, I clearly recall that his game had fallen off considerably towards the end of his tenure. I think folks tend to romanticize things over time. I do it too, and I loved Herzog.

My argument is that Michaels is very good at what he does. Is he the best in every aspect of his duties? Probably not, but who is? And I don't think homerism plays into the discussion. Michaels hasn't been part of this organization long enough to build up that kind of currency. I think people recognize someone who's trying his best to put a good product out there, thats all.

Larry Michaels apologists?!?!?!?!? Will wonders NEVER cease....

Cheers,

CLBinMD

You mean wonders like somebody saying:

"I'd prefer my "news" from someone who wasn't on the team's payroll but I'm afraid those days are gone....."

Are you saying what you're saying? :laugh:

You can't find your preferred "news" from the myriad sources around you that are not on the Redskin's payroll? ;)

You see apologists in this thread? I see intelligent people trying to explain what should be obvious. Not an uncommon task in these parts.

Cheers!

You're making rational reasoned arguments, as opposed to the thread-starter who titled his masterpiece 'Larry Michael's Sucks!'. I think a lot of the reaction you're getting is more in response to that tone than anything you've said.

I've likely heard less of Michael's game broadcasts than most. So I'll defer to others on his talents there. I will say though, that while I have the same nostalgia and admiration for Frank 'Touchdown! Washington Redskins!' Herzog, I clearly recall that his game had fallen off considerably towards the end of his tenure. I think folks tend to romanticize things over time. I do it too, and I loved Herzog.

My argument is that Michaels is very good at what he does. Is he the best in every aspect of his duties? Probably not, but who is? And I don't think homerism plays into the discussion. Michaels hasn't been part of this organization long enough to build up that kind of currency. I think people recognize someone who's trying his best to put a good product out there, thats all.

Tarthog, nicely put!!! Just to be clear, I'm not a romantic for Herzog. I remember his calls from childhood fondly. However, he's somebody I HAVE met a few times in person and I wasn't overly impressed with him, either. There's probably a good reason he went from 'Skins broadcaster & TV sports anchor to 30-second-blurbs on WTOP. So, just to be clear, that's not where I'm coming from.

I suppose the arguement on whether or not Micheals "is very good at what he does" depends upon how "what he does" is defined and how that differs from "what he should be doing"; OR, at least how "clear he should be about whose interests he's representing." He's clearly very good at promotion - both of his clients & himself. His ability to work multiple sponsors into a single sentence is certainly something to behold! :silly:

How good a broadcaster or journalist, that's another story...

A story about which reasonable people can disagree...

Cheers,

CLBinMD

You mean wonders like somebody saying:

Are you saying what you're saying? :laugh:

You can't find your preferred "news" from the myriad sources around you that are not on the Redskin's payroll? ;)

You see apologists in this thread? I see intelligent people trying to explain what should be obvious. Not an uncommon task in these parts.

Cheers!

LOL!!! "News" was in quotes for a reason....

You DON'T see apologists in this thread????? If so, you're not looking very hard.... :silly:

Cheers,

CLBinMD

Archived