Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WHO"S BETTER? '99 or '05 REDSKINS

ozskin

1999 and 2005 are the only two times we have made the playoffs in the past 14 years. So, who's better? The Brad Johnson led '99 team, or the '05 group of Portis and Moss.

OFFENCE- The running games in these seasons are 2 of the best in Redskins history. Stephen Davis' had 1405 yards and 17 td's, while Portis had 1516 yards and 11 td's. Brad Johnson had a break out year in '99 and passed for over 4000 yards, 24 td's and a QB rating of 90.0. Mark Brunell's rating was not all that different with 85.9, but he had far less yards 3050. The receiving groups both had some major stand-outs. Westbrook and Connell both had good years with 1000+ receiving yards each. While Santana Moss proved to be the trade of the off season with over 1400 yards.

VERDICT- Both offence's had thier moments but for overall consistency, i go with the '99 Redskins.....but just barely.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEFENSE- There is no real need to compare these two. Our defense in 99 was terrible, while 05 was one of the best going around.

VERDICT- '05 by a mile.

COACHING- Norv Turner and Mike Nolan V Joe Gibbs and Gregg Williams.

VERDICT- You figure it out.

OVER ALL VERDICT- Over all the '05 team is the better of the two. Although, both teams made it to the divisional playoffs. So i geuss that a win this week will put the '05 team way on top.

.....thoughts?

i pretty much agree, but i don't think the 99 defense was that bad, not horrible at least.

can't lie, i liked the 99 offense better than this years...two 1000 yard receivers, a 1,400 yard back and a 4000 yard qb...sweetness

I disagree with the D comment

While you are dead on with the offense (if our O performed like that this year we would be 14-2) the defense was dreadful

Blew a 21 point lead to the Cowboys to open the season

Spotted Carolina 21 points in week 5 (which is when Arnspargar came in)

Now to its credit it did improve throughout the season. But giving up 33 to Detroit was terrible, and a loss that cost us a 1st round bye in the playoffs

There was the bad loss to the Bills at home where Flutie torched us

I can go on, but it clearly was the achilles heel. No way we would have outscored the 1999 Rams in that NFCCG if we had beaten Tampa

I disagree with the D comment

While you are dead on with the offense (if our O performed like that this year we would be 14-2) the defense was dreadful

Blew a 21 point lead to the Cowboys to open the season

Spotted Carolina 21 points in week 5 (which is when Arnspargar came in)

Now to its credit it did improve throughout the season. But giving up 33 to Detroit was terrible, and a loss that cost us a 1st round bye in the playoffs

There was the bad loss to the Bills at home where Flutie torched us

I can go on, but it clearly was the achilles heel. No way we would have outscored the 1999 Rams in that NFCCG if we had beaten Tampa

We beat the Rams that year

This team is much better.

The 99 team had the better offense but the division was weak and they still barely won it and got swept by the 8-8 Cowboys who played most of the season without one or a few of their stars on offense. That was the year of the 35-14 lead against Dallas in the 4th that they couldn't hold.

They also lost 1 game to the 5-11 Eagles and barely won the other one by 3 points. The 8-8 Lions spanked them. They finished the season off winning 3 of 5 and almost blowing a game to the 4-12 49ers in typical Norv Turner style.

I think some of you aren't giving the 99 team enough credit

The 99 Team had one of the best offenses the team has ever had. They had two 1,000 yard WR and Davis was averaging almost 5 yards per Carry (If im not mistaken he missed the last two games) So he would have definately had more yards than Portis this year

This year Our Defense is certainly better than 99 but the 99 offense was certainly better than this 05 team

I say it's even

The Skins defense in 1999 was not very good at stopping the run.

It cost Mike Nolan his defensive coordinator job with the Skins.

I liked both teams but I think this 2005 team would beat the pants off the 1999 team, simply because I couldn't see the 1999 team holding up against our running attack. I also think that Springs and Rogers would have easily stopped Westbrook and Connell, leaving us to stack 8 in the box for Davis.

Archived