Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Agony Years: What did you hate MOST?

jauburn

For me it was Norv and Deion, both former Dallas Cowboys!

Hiring them was tantamount to saying that rivalries are just marketing bull. Those hirings were a slap in the face of true Redskins fans. Disgraceful time. I don't think I can ever forgive the Danny for that, even though he brought back GIBBS.

Danny did not hire Norv though

Sitting in a sports bar, watching the Skins with a 10 point lead at the start of the 4th, and knowing that, deep down, I think we're going to blow it.

My biggest Norv memory was a game @ Detroit. A team that we hadn't lost to in around 50 years.

At the half, the Skins are up 13-3. Steven Davis has about 20 carries and 125 yards. (5.5 average).

In the 3rd Q, Steven touches the ball once, for 5 yards. Lions have several good drives, but can't get into the end zone. Score now Skins 16-9.

In the 4th, Davis touches the ball twice, for 10 yards. Lions have several good drives, but can't get into the end zone. Skins lose, 16-18.

In those days, redskins.com had an "Ask Norv" function where you could e-mail Coach, and he'd pick a question and answer it on his TV show. My question was: "How can you average 5.5 yards per carry, lead by 10 at halftime, lead by 7 after 3, and lose to a team that didn't score a single touchdown?"

-----

My secong "best" Norv memory was that, once, we had won 5 of our last 6 against the Super Bowl Champion Cowboys, but had lost our last 3 in a row to league joke Tampa Bay. One trivia question I wanted an answer to, back then, was "Has any team ever made the playoffs after having a losing season against Tampa Bay?"

The affliction of genius! There was always some genius running the offense and/or defense; they never just went out and played disciplined football!

The constant love of Norv (a nice guy by all accounts) by the media. If I heard the “he has a great football mind” one more time!

I went to that opener at Fedex back in 2000 against Dallas. We were up 35-14 at halftime and the scumbag cowgirl fans were quiet as a millpond and then BAM! we lose in OT on a bomb from Troy Aikman to Joey Galloway! Uggh, the shame listening to those jerks walking out of the stadium!:dallasuck

Great one Norv! Love the memories!:mad: :rolleyes:

I went to that opener at Fedex back in 2000 against Dallas. We were up 35-14 at halftime and the scumbag cowgirl fans were quiet as a millpond and then BAM! we lose in OT on a bomb from Troy Aikman to Joey Galloway! Uggh, the shame listening to those jerks walking out of the stadium!:dallasuck

Great one Norv! Love the memories!:mad: :rolleyes:

That was really a hard time to be a Skins fan. That just about killed me. It started a major change with how I felt about those Cowturd fans. And losing in triple overtime to Esiason and those Cardinals. They had our number back then, and It used to drive me insane with anger. :helmet:

I too HATED how the media called Norv a "great offensive mind" and how Tony Kornhusker was "in the tank" for Norv (whatever the hell that means), when all I saw in Norv was a SNIVELING PIMPLYFACED PUNK WHO LOOKED LIKE HE WANTED TO PICK A FIGHT WITH THE MEDIA AFTER EACH LOSS AND WOULD LOSE THE FIGHT AND GO HOME CRYING TO HIS MAMMA.

I hated having Norv Turner as a coach.

Steve Spurrier sucked, too.

This is easy. Losing to Dallas...again...and again...and again...

Whether they were being blown out or giving up heartbreaking comebacks, there was nothing worse than losing to the Cowboys over and over and over again.

It was like a freakin' nightmare every time those two teams took the field...

Norv Turner was the biggest mistake and the worst nightmare.

It was obvious to me in 95 or 96 that this guy was no Joe Gibbs and wasn't going to turn the team around. The worst thing was listening to him explain away losses after the game was over. When the team started 7-1 in 1996 I was talking all kinds of **** to Eagles fans and Cowboys fans only to see the team lose 6 of 8 and getting swept by the CARDINALS, I knew it was over then.

Want to get depressed or have a good laugh at Norv? Read some of this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1998/98recap.htm

Just a pathetic man, and then what Green says. I can't believe Green stayed around for 7 years of this guy.

"Coach Norv Turner basically called some of his players quitters during tirades at halftime and following the game. His face was red with anger during a postgame news conference in which he said the Redskins' offense is "totally inept" and vowed that changes are on the way.

"That's as poor a performance as I can say I've ever been involved with," said Turner, who is in his fifth season as the Redskins' head coach and has been coaching on the college or pro level since 1975.

He praised several veteran players by name, and said the defense "has a chance" to be "decent."

Of the offense, Turner's area of responsibility when he was an assistant coach, he said: "We can't snap two plays together in a row and not jump offsides. When we do get the ball snapped properly and a guy's open, we can't get him the ball. When we get him the ball, he doesn't catch it. We've got guys going the wrong way. We're just not capable of performing offensively right now."

"We are rock bottom. I'm at a loss for words for this," said Green, a member of Washington's Super Bowl championship teams in 1987 and 1991. "... This is the lowest. Sitting on the sideline, it just hit me. Win, lose or draw, that's us, and I'm a part of that. I began to ponder it on the sideline and I got really emotional. It's an accumulation of things. I've never felt like this. I don't know why. I've lost before. [but] I'm only human."

The Redskins have a bye next week. "I could use three byes," Green said. "If we could buy someone else's bye, I'd take it."

With the gap between games, they are scheduled to practice on only two of the next seven days. "I thought about where we are hard, and one of the things that might be good for some of these guys is to get away from it," Turner said.

He also said there probably will be some lineup changes before the Redskins return for a game Nov. 1 against the New York Giants at Jack Kent Cooke Stadium.

"We're going to come in Wednesday [for the team's next practice] and find the guys that really want to compete," Turner said, "the guys that ... can learn something. ... The guys that really want to compete – get them on the field and let them play.

"We have a lot of guys that aren't playing at a very high level. So you've got to do something."

1996: starting 7-1 and losing to Arizona twice, including allowing Boomer Esiason to pass for 500+ yards, and then the Romeo Bandison gaffe in the rematch which kept us out of the playoffs and rendered the RFK finals against Dallas completely meaningless

1997: starting 3-1 and then having to watch this crew slog through losses in terrible weather at FedEx against dregs like the Ravens and Rams, and then endure that tie against the Giants

Although the whole Spurrier era was a travesty, a particular play comes to mind. Against the Cowboys, the Skins make a great stand at the goal line but a dope by the name of Jeremiah Trotter gets called for "false cadence," giving Dallas a first and goal. I don't know if I recall that happening to any other team in recent memory. Of course Dallas scored and won. Way too many bonehead plays that have lately diminished dramatically. I wonder why.

I hated how we never had heart. I had to walk out of FedEx so many times after a loss just depressed about how our team never had any heart.

I felt the same way. I hated watching a game and when the Skins got down by 10-14 points, I knew the game was over because they were going to give up at that point.

That and Norvy's habit of NEVER going for it on 4th and 1. I got so mad I wanted to reach throught the TV and personally throttle him. :mad:

Archived