Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Agony Years: What did you hate MOST?

jauburn

I just hated how many times we gave up them games.

But the worst moment was opening day 1999 or 98 when we had Dallas by 21 it was 42-21 and they came all the way back and Dag on Rocket Ismail smoke Chirs Dishman in OT and we lost 48-21. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

But that 35-7 victory almost made the pain go away. A super bowl victory will make me forget every thing that happen.

I had almost repressed this memory, but the 2003 season makes me feel cold inside.

I remember how excited my buddies got when we hired Spurrier, I remember one of them said "It's like Lou Holtz came to coach in the NFL!" As soon as he said that I started to get nervous about this "experiment" of Dan Snyder's. I replied "uhm, Lou Holtz did coach in the NFL, and it didn't work."

So the 2002 season didn't go well, but hey, it was a rebuilding year. That summer I talked a bunch of smack at the office how we were going to do well in 2003 and the Fun n' Gun would finally work.

Of course, all our opponents had to do was blitz the hell out of the Fun n' Gun and it all falls apart.

Then came the slow, numbing horror as around week 11 I came to realize that Spurrier was completely in over his head. He was utterly hopeless. I'll never forget that time he looked up at the sky and blew a big rasberry - and then they replayed the rasberry.. in slow motion. It was awful. We were the joke of the entire league. The Cowboys fans in the office guffawed for WEEKS.

ewww... I can't stand even thinking about it! Begone, 2003!!!! :doh:

Postscript:

I should add that one fateful morning in January, I was half asleep before getting in the shower when I overheard someone on the TV said something like "Joe Gibbs.. returning to the Redskins..." I was INSTANTLY wide awake and leapt out of bed screaming "WHAAT!!!"

The next day at work I predicted that the Skins would go 8-8 in 2004 and 10-6 in 2005, and make the playoffs in 2005. At least I was half right!!! :cheers:

For me it was Snyder ruining the team in 2000. Bidding against himself to sign Deion. Turning down a 3rd round pick for Skip Hicks. Not getting any depth at WR or OL, the two places we needed it. Getting Bruce Smith for too much money but losing ND Kalu, who at that point was better and way cheaper. Getting a used up Mark Carrier. Firing Norv when we still had a chance at the playoffs. Midseason coaching changes NEVER work. And our cap has been screwed up ever since.

It was also fun watching two ex-Redskin QBs in the Bucs-Raiders Super Bowl. It was nice to see Stephen Davis lead his team to the Super Bowl the year after we dropped him--and to replace him with Portis we needed to pay top dollar AND give up a player and a pick.

The 2000 season was the most dissapointing year ever.

- Aneas Williams 103 yard fumble return as S.Davis was about to walk in the endzone.

- Sumari Rolle interception for a TD that extended about 15 sec after the clock expired.

- Eddie Murry thudding a field goal off the left upright at home in a 9-7 Gmen loss.

2003 - Hasselbak having a 0.0 QB rating at home vs Dallas.

Second to last week of the season, 1996. Skins were 8-6, up by 1 or 2 late in the game in Arizona. The defensive end got a hold of the Cardinals quarterback on a fourth down blitz started to swing him around, but did so by the quarterback's face mask. 15 yard penalty, field goal, Redskins lose. The Redskins beat Dallas the next week, but missed the playoffs on tiebreakers. Misery.

Norval. I just couldn't grasp the hiring of a Dallas Cowpuke. It felt so wrong and I was in a total state of confusion. It was like I was sent to a parallel universe where everything was backwards.

Up was down and down was up. The sky was green and the grass was blue. Men were feminine and chicks had dix.

Well, maybe not everything is back to normal, but Ol' Coach Gibbs got the Redskins back to a competitive team again and that brings a smile to my face.

Archived