Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wilbon DISSING Sean Taylor

autographcollector

Wilbon is an idiot in this article for comparing Sean Taylor to Marcus Vick. Everyone in the organization says that Sea has grown up a lot in the last year. I hear NOBODY from VA. Tech say the same for Marcus.

Comparing Sean with somebody who has actually been CONVICTED of a crime is completely irresponsible as a journalist.

Headhunter?? Watching all of these Taylro highlight videos I see very little hund hunting out there. Instead I see a player who hits hard but is a textbook tackler. Shameful journalism by Mr. Wilbon....

I think he was trying to show examples of people "getting away with it"

Sean doesn't, Marcus has for far too long

That's pretty much what I was thinking. It's really hard to argue with the statement that talent will help you get away with a lot. We see it in American sports all the time.

The thing with Sean...I really worry that his thugish nature, and no mercy attitude, that serve him so well on the football field, are going to prematurely end his career, or get him blacklisted. I'm afraid he's really going to get himself into some real trouble, and I'm not talking about what he's facing in court now. The Florida Prosecutor will probably plea bargain him into a misdemeanor conviction, with a sentence of probation or a few days in jail or something. What happens with him this off-season will tell us a lot, as far as...can he keep his nose clean.

I am confident, that if any coaching staff, starting at the top with Coach Gibbs can get him squared away it's this one.

FACT: If athletes do something dumb, sportswriters will write about it. That's what they do. They're writers, and they write about people who play sports.

Exactly. I can't believe that people are upset that he's bashing someone who SPIT on another player. If it were Pittman who spit on Taylor this place would be going insane. Just because someone plays here doesn't mean he has to be defended for the most outrageous things.

Wilbon is very sly about extolling the virtues of Taylor's backfield prowess. He does this so he can't be told later that he was "wrong" about Sean.

Honestly, I do think Sean Taylor has anger management problems. I also think we'd have seen worse so far had he not been playing in the environment provided by a Joe Gibbs institution. I hope that Sean the man drinks up as much knowledge from Joe Gibbs as Sean the player gets from Greg Williams.

Exactly. I can't believe that people are upset that he's bashing someone who SPIT on another player. If it were Pittman who spit on Taylor this place would be going insane. Just because someone plays here doesn't mean he has to be defended for the most outrageous things.

Whether you agree with defending him or not Sean is still a Redskin and he is still young. I am the same age as him and let me tell you, it's not hard to make a mistake. He's still a kid. I think the most important thing that we can do for Taylor is support him and make him feel like he is loved and wanted. When someone has something to lose, such as love and support from the masses, then they tend to not do things that will cause them to lose it (unless your name is G. W. Bush, J/K.) Obviously we don't have the influence that Coach Gibbs, Coach Williams, and Co. have but we can still do our part.

Whether you agree with defending him or not Sean is still a Redskin and he is still young. I am the same age as him and let me tell you, it's not hard to make a mistake. He's still a kid. I think the most important thing that we can do for Taylor is support him and make him feel like he is loved and wanted. When someone has something to lose, such as love and support from the masses, then they tend to not do things that will cause them to lose it (unless your name is G. W. Bush, J/K.) Obviously we don't have the influence that Coach Gibbs, Coach Williams, and Co. have but we can still do our part.

He's obviously someone that needs some sort of help. That being said I love the guy and the way he plays. And I'm selfishly glad that he wasn't suspended. But deep down I don't think that was the right move for the league or for Taylor.

Wilbon has some valid points and most of us would feel the same way if someone spit on one of our players. However, and I've said this everyday since the game, I need to see proof or hear from the official that he saw Taylor spit in Pittmans face. Not spit at him or in his general direction because that's a hell of a lot different from spitting in someone's face.

As far as ST being feared because of his thug persona, so be it. You don't want a SS known for his warm embraces or horse collar tackles. You want a SS know for his bone shattering hits and his intimidation factor on the field. Take it or leave, there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't want him on their team, spit or no spit.

It's all relative. Some people think putting on shoulder pads and running into each other at full speed is completely barbaric.

Taylor has a job to do, and he does it well. I'm sure Greg Williams has spoken with Sean about this stuff, but as a coach you take the good with the bad in this situation.

If your #1 sales person is a raging alcoholic, makes your company 150K per month in sales, but his medical insurance is $250 more monthly than the guy who makes only 10K a month for your company.... Something tells me the raging alcoholic is going to keep his job over Mr Universe because he makes the company more money.

Same concept here with Mr. Taylor. He makes a few dumb plays here and there but on the whole his presense makes a difference.

Sign him long term for 80 million.

;)

I'm not defending Sean or anyone for that matter IF they do spit on another player. My problem is with Sean being lumped into a category with Marcus Vick, a person who HAS been convicted of crimes before and intentionally tried to injure a player after the play was dead. (Sorry but Sean has done nothing even close to this in his career)

$7,500 fine for Bill Romanowski for spitting; $17,000 fine for ST spitting; $20,000 fine for Clinton Portis for wearing the wrong socks.

Appears that the NFL employs washed up NCAA guys in their enforcement division.

Wilbon needs to take a prozac and calm down...you can get spit on as a fan in many NFL arenas and no one gets fined or picks up your laundry bill either.

Can we move on now that Sean has taken his punishment?

"He can run like Jerry Rice and hit like Night Train Lane, and if he does hit you a little too far out of bounds or just a little late after the whistle, then so be it. Receivers don't remember penalty flags; they remember writhing on the ground in agony."

baaaaaaaaahahaha I love that.

This is classic Wilbon. The guy is pretty knowledgeable most of the time, but he can be such a friggin' geek as well.

Plus, he's completely incorrect in arguing that wearing the wrong socks incurs a stiffer, $20K penalty, because you don't get ejected from a game for uniform violations. An ejection is far worse than a $20K fine.

It's pro football, $h1f happens. Taylor spat, and justice was served: ejection and a fine. Big deal. On to the next game already.

It really is hard to find fault with this statement. $20,000 for mixed match socks, but $17,000 for spitting in the face of an opposing player? Doesn't make much sense if you ask me. As a Skins fan, I'm glad Sean is playing on Saturday, because he's a great player, and he scares the crap out of the opposing players...but as a person he does appear to have much growing up to do.

That just means that they fined him too much for mix matched socks!

He's obviously someone that needs some sort of help. That being said I love the guy and the way he plays. And I'm selfishly glad that he wasn't suspended. But deep down I don't think that was the right move for the league or for Taylor.

Helll no... we want to keep this guy locked in a cage Monday through Friday night, feeding him nothing but ice cubes and steriods. When he's real good and pissed off, we should tell him how Shaun Alexander stole his new "power wheels" barbie convertible from his garage, then grab a bag of popcorn and watch the show..........

It really is hard to find fault with this statement. $20,000 for mixed match socks, but $17,000 for spitting in the face of an opposing player? Doesn't make much sense if you ask me. As a Skins fan, I'm glad Sean is playing on Saturday, because he's a great player, and he scares the crap out of the opposing players...but as a person he does appear to have much growing up to do.

Wilbon's comparison makes little sense. Portis was a repeat offender who had been previously fined lesser amounts for the same deeds by the league. Portis was such a repeat offender over the last two years that the league officials notified him that one more transgression would lead to an immediate ejection from the game.

This is the first fine for this action by Taylor, therefore he received a much greater penalty than that for not dressing properly the 1st time. Taylor's penalty amounts to his playoff game check, plus he was ejected on the spot.

A 1st offense vs. several, there is no comparison here.

Wilbon seems to twist facts around to fit his column when he is ripping someone.

That the alleged spitting incident happened with a car-ramming, wife beater & trouble maker makes all the difference in the world to me. If it had been someone upstanding & the refs called it, I'd bury Sean Taylor for it (no matter what he said). Don't live in a bubble.

Irony. Are people playing favorites? Because Arrington has never been ejected, never not returned the coaches calls, and never been arested for DUI or gun charges. Yet Arrington has been branded a trouble maker & people are defending Taylor. Are people being even handed about their criticism of players?

Archived