Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hawks fans running scared?

Hemlock

yeah but the crowd was supposed to be the big terrifying deciding factor...and they didn't prove to be **** when it came down to the results of the game
Are you for real?!?

Pretend this upcoming Redskins/Seahawks game is taking place in Fedex. Pretend you're there, in the crowd, and the crowd is getting pumped for the game. Now imagine Santana Moss going down hard in the second play of the game. Now imagine Clinton Portis going down on the very next play. How loud do you think Fedex would be?

The Bengals lost their star QB and his receiver in the first three plays of the game. It's not terribly surprising that the Cincy crowd wasn't in it.

Are you for real?!?

Pretend this upcoming Redskins/Seahawks game is taking p[lace in Fedex. Pretend you're there, in the crowd, and the crowd is getting pumped for the game. Now imagine Santana Moss going down hard in the second play of the game. Now imagine Clinton Portis going down on the very next play. How loud do you think Fedex would be?

The Bengals lost their star QB and his receiver in the first three plays of the game. It's not terribly surprising that the Cincy crowd wasn't in it.

well i'd certainly be twice as loud...but i guess that's just me...it'd make me more determined to see the Redskins win... :seahawksu

The crowd IS a factor. It's only one of many, and usually a minor one. But in a close, hard fought game -- which this is likely to be -- it can be the difference. If we'd played you at home the first game I think that we would have won. (OTOH, if we'd played Dallas or NY away they likely would have gone the other way too).

Our schedule was based on LAST season's results, and we were given something like the 7th toughest schedule in the NFL because unlike you, we actually made the playoffs last year. As a -- what? 5-11? -- team last year, it was you who were given the creampuff schedule. Again, based on last years stats.

I'm not here to discredit anything the Seahawks have done this year, because I think they are a very good team, however, I think your entire argument is a fraud.

In the last few years, ever since the NFL introduced the schedule rotation, (if you're not familiar with that, you can read about it here: http://www.nfl.com/ce/multi/0,3783,4414598,00.html)

"A team's record from the previous year will have less of a bearing on its schedule, with only two (rather than four) opponents being based on the previous year's standing. Thus, the so-called "easy" fifth-place schedules are eliminated"

The sceduling system no longer has a major impact on the strength of a teams schedule, as you indicate.

Let's look at the Redskins for example: Because the Redskins were last in their division, they would play two teams who also finished last in their respective divisions (Bears 5-11, Bucs 5-11). Both of these two teams ended up making the playoffs. Add that to the fact that the Redskins also had to play the AFC West, which is arguably one of the toughest divisions in football this year—next to the NFC east, who we also had to play, twice! (that includes the NFC champs that you speak so highly of).

The Hawks were in the playoffs last year, and their schedule is nowhere near that tuff. (the 49ers, Rams, and Cardinals twice. Also, other pushovers like Houston, Tenessee, and Greenbay).

Please explain to me how you think the Redskins had a creampuff schedule.

I'm not here to discredit anything the Seahawks have done this year, because I think they are a very good team, however, I think your entire argument is a fraud.

In the last few years, ever since the NFL introduced the schedule rotation, (if you're not familiar with that, you can read about it here: http://www.nfl.com/ce/multi/0,3783,4414598,00.html)

The sceduling system no longer has an impact on the strength of a teams schedule as you indicate.

Yes, you're right. Thanks to the earlier poster who pointed out the same thing I did some research about the new scheduling system and you're entirely correct, it only affects two games nowadays. Thanks, I enjoy learning new things.

Ok. The teams that the Seahawks played have more losses than the teams that the Redskins played. Agreed.

Now tell me what that has to do with the game on Saturday? What difference is it going to make in the game? How does that affect the players or game plan? You all keep going on about the schedule but I don't see what it has to do with the game at all. If you want to win the war of statistics well ok I concede your point that perhaps some of our stats are bloated some. But then when you consider about a game and half that we played our reserves then I guess that should even the stats out some. The thing is that it really doesn't matter does it? Do you think the players and coaches are even thinking about that kind of crap?

I guess maybe I expected more than that from Redskins fans. I expected insight about how the 'skins were going to beat the Seahawks and how this game was going to be different than the last game. Winning by 3 in OT after our FG kicker missed two during regulation (first two he missed all year) should give 'skins fans a little concern going on the road to play that same team.

If you're interested in talking about the game. Not stats. Not records. Not history. Think you have an idea about how the game will be played out, and both teams strengths and weaknesses then I invite you to come join this thread at Seahawks.Net

Now, I'll go back to lurking here so I don't get all pissed off again.

Enjoy the game.

There is no question the Skins schedule was tougher.That being said,it really doesn't matter.All that matters is what happens Saturday.The Redskins will have the deck stacked against them.They will have to travel 3000 miles to face a rested ,healthier team that is playing in front of a very vocal home crowd.The Skins can beat them but will have to play one of their best games in order to do so.The offense really needs to get the running game going and the defense needs to continue to play lights out.

Exactly correct.

The reason Skins fans know we have a good chance of winning this game is that Gibbs is the coach, and he has done this exact thing against much tougher teams to get to the Super Bowl and win it. 1987, Chicago in Chicago, several starters out or banged up. Who won, in much worse conditions (-20 windchill) than Seattle will ever have? And the Bears were the same team from 85 that completely destroyed everybody.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1997/history/allart/87bears2a.htm

"As usual, nobody thought we could win, except us," said offensive tackle Mark May. "No one thought the Redskins could do it.

"Except the Redskins."

The similarities between that team and this one are pretty obvious. Young QB gets benched for an old fumbling QB but we win. Injuries at key positions. Gibbs coaching a team that finished strong, defense winning games for them, etc.

Seahawk fans can say that all those games in the 80's are meaningless now and that the seahawks despite not winning a playoff game since 1984 should win.

It's true, they SHOULD win. They are favored by almost 10 points. The thing is, Gibbs is the master of winning games like this one. :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky

Now tell me what that has to do with the game on Saturday?

I didn't bring up the strength of the schedules, nor did I say it would have any effect on this weeks game, infact, I stated that I thought the Seahawks were a very good team.

I was just pointing out to another individual that just because a team is in the playoffs one year, it doesn't gaurantee that the team will have a hard schedule the following season.

I guess maybe I expected more than that from Redskins fans.

Well, if you don't want to read the opinions of Redskins fans maybe you shouldn't come to a Redskins forum.

Ok. The teams that the Seahawks played have more losses than the teams that the Redskins played. Agreed.

Now tell me what that has to do with the game on Saturday? What difference is it going to make in the game? How does that affect the players or game plan? You all keep going on about the schedule but I don't see what it has to do with the game at all. If you want to win the war of statistics well ok I concede your point that perhaps some of our stats are bloated some. But then when you consider about a game and half that we played our reserves then I guess that should even the stats out some. The thing is that it really doesn't matter does it? Do you think the players and coaches are even thinking about that kind of crap?

I guess maybe I expected more than that from Redskins fans. I expected insight about how the 'skins were going to beat the Seahawks and how this game was going to be different than the last game. Winning by 3 in OT after our FG kicker missed two during regulation (first two he missed all year) should give 'skins fans a little concern going on the road to play that same team.

If you're interested in talking about the game. Not stats. Not records. Not history. Think you have an idea about how the game will be played out, and both teams strengths and weaknesses then I invite you to come join this thread at Seahawks.Net

Now, I'll go back to lurking here so I don't get all pissed off again.

Enjoy the game.

Dude go talk to your fellow Hawks fan. He's the one that started talking **** and then a Skin fan said something about your SOS being weak, which it is. Then you fellow Hawks lose...fan went into some BS arguement about SOS is based on last year so it doesn't mean anything blah blah blah. Then he had the nerve to say that we are homer fans who can't analyze stats. HELLO!!! What do you think SOS is? It's not a decree from the Vatican. It's a freaking stat. I guess I expected more from Hawks fans. I expected them to at least now what a stat is seeing that they are from "the smartest city in America." **Makes jerk off motion with hand**

Look around this board and you'll see just about every thread filled about the stupid strength of schedule b.s. I just picked this one becuase this where I finally got frustrated with the stupidity of the argument. Even now, you want to fight about the fight.... lord what does it take to get you guys to talk about the f'ing game?

Look around this board and you'll see just about every thread filled about the stupid strength of schedule b.s. I just picked this one becuase this where I finally got frustrated with the stupidity of the argument. Even now, you want to fight about the fight.... lord what does it take to get you guys to talk about the f'ing game?

Sorry guys, as a Redskins fan, I have to agree with him here. The only point that keeps getting brought up is SOS..SOS. Seattle can only play the teams that are put on their schedule. Green Bay was a playoff team last year. Chicago, who was on our schedule, wasn't. You don't go 13-3 in the NFL and not be a solid team. I read every thread in here and there have been a few inciteful comments, but mostly, the chest thumping, you haven't played anybody crap.

We are going 3000 miles to face a rested team at their house. We have a beat up offense and have been in playoff mode now for 6 weeks. They have a powerhouse offense with the NFL's MVP, a strong offensive line, and a smart, effecient QB. What this game comes down to for us is this, keeping Seattles offense off the field. We won the first game because we converted an ungodly amount of 3rd downs, lots of them 3rd and longs. We kept their offense offf the field in the first half and took a lead. Their offense came on strong in the second half and they had a chance to win the game but didn't. We have to do the same thing in this game to keep the home crowd out of it. Our offense is a lot better than the media is saying and Seattles D is no where as good as Tampa's. But their offense is much much better than Tampas so our D is going to need to continue the trend that it has kept up for the last 6 weeks, that is, coming up with opportunistic turnovers. I feel we need to put up at least 24 points to win this game as Seattle's offense and home crowd is good for 21, even with the way our d is playing now.

The Steelers traveled 300 miles to play a team that didn't have a bye and ended up without it's excellent QB.Don't get me wrong, I feel the Skins can win but it is going to take a great effort.

I agree with you 100 % on the Skins they can win this game but it's going to take a great effort. The Steelers I think they would have won this game even if Palmer didn't get hurt. It's extremely unfortunate for Palmer to have gotten hurt because he did give them the best chance to win but in the end felt the Steelers would have been too much for them.

Seattle is a talented team and thier record reflects this. Strength of schedule doesn't mean much to me because the Skins lost to the Raiders. Anyone who thinks that Hawks can't make it to Detroit is unrealistic. The Skins are going to have to play like they did against Dallas or NYG to pull this off. If they show up like they did against the Iggles or the second half of the Bucs game it's gonna be a long Saturday. However I am confident that this is going to be a great game! I hope Moss and Brunell have some magic left for 'em!! THE D IS SOLID!!!

:logo:

This will be a very interesting game on Saturday. To ignore your NFL worst SOS stat is almost like ignoring the Win loss record. Now granted you can only win the games that are put in front of you but the two best teams you played, you lost to (Skins, Jags). I think Seattle is a good football team and is a worthy advesary but dont fall in love with that 11 game win streak seahawks fan. Its just a little misleading.

Now fellow Skins Fans, the only team in the league who has had a tougher schedule than us is San Diego who may have had the toughest schedule in NFL history. Another stat that jumps out at you is our strength of victory. Our strength of victory is the HIGHEST in the NFL. This tells you that we are battle tested football team who not only has played the best teams in the league, but we have more wins against the top teams in the league.

We will be ready come Saturday, and Seattle better be ready for their toughest game this year because we are going to bring the house. Hail.

bluengreen, obviously the Seahawks' offense is has some real weapons and can score. It seems the defense doesn't match the offense's strengths. What do you see as the strengths/weaknesses of the Seattle defense?

I can't believe I almost missed this post wanting to talk real football in all the noise.

The strengths of our D are it's interior line. We have good run stuffers in Tubbs and Darby. Tubbs often draws double teams. We also have a couple of guys who can shoot a gap and get to the quarterback in Terrill and Bernard.

Probably the single biggest improvement of our D this season comes from adding Lofa Tatupu as the MLB to quarterback our D. His instincts are so good, he seems to have ESP. The number of times -- as a rookie, understand -- he has come up and realigned the linemen to put them in exactly the right place to stuff the coming play is amazing. His drawbacks are that he's none too big or fast, so you'll need to try to get someone on him, which again will be tough because our interior line is very good.

Our other two LBs are DD Lewis and Leroy Hill. Lewis is fairly fast and a hard hitter, but doesn't seem to use his speed well in coverage. Hill is a rookie forced into starting because of injury. As such he's largely unknown, but has had some brilliant plays, showing one of the best bursts on the QB I've ever seen. He looks like he may turn out very good, but the jury's still out yet. In any case, he hasn't been a liability.

Our weakest spot is our secondary. We lost last years RCB in Ken Lucas this offeason, and Trufant still really doesn't look comfortable over on the right. Lucas's replacement Andre Dyson although talented seems like a bit of a pansy to me, he's gone out of game after game with strained hammy, stinger, diarrhea... the list goes on. I love Kelly Herndon's fire and attitude, but he's just not very fast or good in coverage. I'd want to try to get Moss on him if I were you guys.

Tarpon, you nailed it. Nothing is settled until Saturday, and either team can win it.

You might want to clue in your compatriot arringtonhitz that Seattle's offense doesn't stink. I don't know if he was just trying to get a rise out of Seahawk fans, or if just just doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. If he really does think that, he's in for a rude awakening.

BlueTalon let me clarify something, Besides a good offensive line and Alexander I think the offense sucks! IMHO you have no credible reciever and your tight end isn't that good either. Hasslesuck who is 0-2 in playoffs is also OVERRATED. Once LaVar, Marcus and some defensive lineman pop him a few times maybe then you will see what you fail to see. Your team has overrated stats and so what they won the bulk of thier games against teams that were below 500. THAT'S FACT! So Saturday I will be right on this board cracking up because your team is in for yet another Buffalo Bill Moment!! The difference is they won't make it to the SB your team is in the playoffs due to that division move them to the NFC East and then see what thier record would be. :cheers: :2cents: :silly:

Our schedule was based on LAST season's results, and we were given something like the 7th toughest schedule in the NFL because unlike you, we actually made the playoffs last year. As a -- what? 5-11? -- team last year, it was you who were given the creampuff schedule. Again, based on last years stats.

At the start of the year, many pundits thought the NFC West was going to be so tough that we were going to place 3rd behind the media darling AZ Cardinals (who many picked to win the div) and the Lambs. Some even thought the Whiners would give us a run for our money and we'd place last.

So, we played the hand we were dealt, which didn't look so promising at the beginning of the year, and most of the time we won. I won't apologize for it.

actually the sechedules are already made out season's in advance. nice try, play again

Link time...

http://www.nfl.com/standings/conference

Your SOS is well below ours for 2005.

According to this, Washington was tied for the 2nd highest SOS and Seatle had the easiest SOS in the NFL. I did not realize how easy they had it this year. Just think what our record would be if we had that easy of a schedule and a bye that was not on the 3rd week of the season!

Archived