Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thoughts on the Eve of Battle

Om

With our DL back I'm trying to figure out how Tampa is going to get anything done on offense. It will have to be through the air so I hope we get some pressure.

I think for them to have any chance they will have to get some turnovers. If they don't get more than we do then they can forget about it.

Simms history at Texas

he ALWAYS choked in the big games

You beat me to it!!!! I was about to post this but, it was already there!!!!

I am not overly confident about this game, but I am not nervous either. Deep down inside I believe that this is our year. I think the players feel the same way also. I saw an interview with Jansen before the Eagles Game and he stated, "We need to go out there and win, we need to show the NFL that we are the team to beat."

They believe they can do it!

1. Watch 3rd down closely - in games that the Bucs have lost or played poorly in, their defense has been unable to get off the field on 3rd down. It was a problem that plagued them in the middle 4 or 5 games of the season. The Bucs are at their best when they're controlling time of posession.

Nice post. The Redskins happen to be one of the best teams in the league at converting 3rd downs - 97 converted in 230 attempts.

"For the past few years, and up through just a few short weeks ago, I’d head in to each big game knowing the Redskins could win, but thinking deep down inside, in places I didn’t often talk about, that we were probably going to find a way to lose.

Heading into Saturday’s playoff game in Tampa, I’m quite aware that we could lose, but believing deep down inside, in places I’m finding it difficult not to talk about, that we’re going to find a way to win."

I defintely feel this way too... GO SKINS!

All the Skins has to do is just play their game win the battle of both lines OL and DL they will be just fine. The Bucs do have a solid defense but they are a little light they rely much more on speed Skins have to use their muscle to control this game. Certainly have to get pressure on babyface Chris which I think they will Simms will not have the time to throw the ball like he did in that first meeting. Bucs OL is suspect at best remember this OL struggled mighty against a weak Niners defense whom we overwhelm so take it for what it's worth..

Great post!

Like what was mentioned earlier.... during the Eagles game while we were down... I just "knew" we would turn it around and win the game. It felt good knowing that and seeing it happen.

Because of the past few seasons, the beginning of the year I kept waiting for the other team to come back and give us one of our famous cardiac games where it comes down to the wire. (and somebody kicks a winning field goal against us..)

Yes we had a great start and then a bumpy time but we all saw things starting to solidify for us... AND THEN THE TRAIN STARTED ROLLING!!!

I feel extremely confident about this game (not ****y).

My only two reservations are the health of our secondary and the Home Field Advantage....

Yes, with superior coaching we will overcome both... hence the confidence.

But as I stated in another thread...

THANK YOU REDSKINS!!!!!!! for a great year!!!

:eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

OM

I share the same feeling as you do about tomorrows game. I also have a quiet confidence in my soul that we will win. That feeling was not there for a long time! Also I believe that using our last 2 first round picks on Taylor and Rodgers was one of the main reasons that Greg Williams resigned with us when we all know he could have his pick of HC openings. Joe Gibbs is the greatest manager of men I have ever seen.

I seem to recall a whole lot of forehead-smacking (“but how does he help us this year?!”) among the faithful back in April, when Washington used the number 9 overall pick in the draft on CB Carlos Rogers.

Just sayin’.

I don't recall any forehead-smacking over Rogers (except for maybe not picking Williams instead), but there was a lot for Campbell. :gus:

Anyways, :bucsuck:

Jason

Simms history at Texas

he ALWAYS choked in the big games

As I stated in my post, however, Simms looks at his best when the game is on the line and he (and the offense) needs to make plays in order to win.

I know that choking when the chips were down was his M.O. coming out of college, but watching him play this year you'd never believe it. In the 4th quarter, he's calm and methodical, making big throws in order to put his team in position to win. Two weeks ago against Atlanta, in overtime, on a 3rd and 3 call, he checked off to a pass play at the line and threw and absolutely perfect fly route to Joey Galloway, dropping the ball in right over his shoulder for a 30 yard gain. Playoffs on the line, 3rd down, kid only making his 8 or 9th career start -- that's confidence that earns points in my book.

We'll see on Saturday, but I think Simms has grown up a lot since college, and a lot since the last time you guys saw him play.

Om, We have all the mojo going our way heading into this game. This is a game we can't lose. We will win big. Why do I feel this way?

I just got the biggest promotion of my career today. It will be officially announced to my company Monday morning after I sign the offer package. This promotion on the eve of our first playoff game in 6 years is much more then a coincidence. I believe it is devine fate. Hail to the Redskins and Hail to the new director of HOS for the NE. region. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Salavea the Somoan!

Taylor the Tarantula

Braveheart Captain Chaos

Jerome from South East

Shawn Springs the Blanket

Mike Sellers AKA The Brick Wall

Shhhh Quiet Please Santana

The difference between the Redskins and any other team in the NFL is the diverse cast of characters that Gibbs has formed into this united band of brothers. I identify with this team because of the great personality that each player and coach has (except for Scott Frost, he blows). I literally love this team and I can't wait to see them come home Saturday night. I know that it is going to be a happy homecoming and that we will be flying to Seattle next week. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!

OM, terrific post and one that really resonates with me. Like you and many others, I've had the same feelings. It's as if "norvousness" and all that came with it is finally starting to disappear. Can we get a "hallelujah" for that?

I'm so fired up right now I could run through a friggin' wall. I swear. I've lost all focus at work and have done nothing but read this site, ESPN.com, NFL.come etc etc etc etc. It's nice being in the focus of the world's football watching public again.

Today has been the most unproductive work day I may have ever had. Ive been doing the same thing and I have seriously been considering just leaving and driving down to Tampa. Winging the whole trip would be worth it. Im Pumped!

I'm so fired up right now I could run through a friggin' wall. I swear. I've lost all focus at work and have done nothing but read this site, ESPN.com, NFL.come etc etc etc etc. It's nice being in the focus of the world's football watching public again.

Another reason for optimism. Below is a excerpt from a WP article on Gibbs in the postseason, great read if you haven't already read it I'd suggest checking it out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/05/AR2006010502293_2.html

The Bucs played seven games, nearly half their season, against teams that lost 12 or more games -- the worst patsies in the NFL. Yet they only outscored the league for the year by 26 points. For an 11-5 team, that's lame. The Bucs lost to the horrid 49ers and Jets, barely beat the lowly Packers by a point and the even worse Lions by four. Three weeks ago, New England undressed them, 28-0. Meantime, the Redskins played 10 games against teams with nine wins or more and outscored the league by a respectable 66 points. They also beat three division champions: Seattle (13-3), Chicago (12-4) and the Giants (11-5).

And another interesting statistic that somebody else posted today...

But throughout his 14 seasons, Gibbs's teams have improved by an average of 17 points in their rematches against teams that previously beat them.

Anyone remember when ComCast was all about the Ravens up until the night LaVar pointed out in a Post game interview (after the presason game of Ravens in Fedex in 03') that Comcast should show the Redskins?

I just had that thought because Comcast is saying "Tune in to the offical home of the Redskins Playoff quest...)

Archived