Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thoughts on the Eve of Battle

Om

Odd feeling really, but I just have this weird inkling that the playbook is going to be opened up or something. Crazy thoughts of Jacobs scoring touchdowns and such. These thoughts really aren't conducive to keeping my sanity, and I'm probably going to be a wreck tommorow. Gotta love the playoffs though, my earliest 'Skins memory was watching them beat the Bills in the Super Bowl with my dad.

One scary thought – Tampa’s pass rush.

If Washington regularly faces 2nd- and 3rd-and-long situations and the Bucs get to tee off, the potential for killer negative plays definitely exists. The Skins will need to run well enough early to force the Bucs to play them honestly, and at least let the game settle into a rhythm. The worst possible scenario is a big turnover deep in the Skins’ own end, that leads to an early deficit and gets the partisan pewter crowd all in a tizzy.

That could be bad.

Another (if somewhat less) scary thought – our banged up secondary against their quick WR’s.

Simms’ damp earbacks notwithstanding, the Skins are in fact heading into this one with (at best) a gimpy Shawn Springs, and a Carlos Rogers seeing his first action in several weeks. Yes, Tampa receivers will quite likely have their heads on a swivel looking out for The Tarantula With a Frickin’ Laser Beam on His Helmet, but if there is a concern about the defense in this game, it’s in Baby Simms having just enough time to find open guys on long-yardage situations to sustain drives and get comfortable.

Washington will need a couple of big sacks, or leveled WR’s, or a big pick, or (best of all) some combination of all the above, to put some pride in their stride and some doubt in Tampa’s collective heads.

Here’s to bringin’ it early.

those two things worry me the most as well...because brunell lays the ball down somewhat often when he takes a hit and if simms gets in a rythm and they get some key third downs it could be hard for us to stop them....

i'm not all that worried about cadillac when we know we've stopped barber and alexander this year...o and the fact we crushed cadillac for 10 carries for 20 yards earlier this year

Archived