Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ol' Ball Coach

herrmag

Didn't he make a remark about Joe Gibbs' first season, and the record the 'Skins had last year (equated to "I was 6-10 my first year")? Well, Mr. Ball Coach, how do you like these apples? He will never be an NFL coach (Spurrier, that is). There's more than just "coachin' up the QB" in the NFL, or recruiting the best talent with no salary cap.......Eat those words. Eat 'em!

Didn't he make a remark about Joe Gibbs' first season, and the record the 'Skins had last year (equated to "I was 6-10 my first year")? Well, Mr. Ball Coach, how do you like these apples? He will never be an NFL coach (Spurrier, that is). There's more than just "coachin' up the QB" in the NFL, or recruiting the best talent with no salary cap.......Eat those words. Eat 'em!

I don't know Herrmag, I never heard that. I heard earlier in the season that some mediots were saying that Joe had the same record as Spurrier at that point in his tenure. I think Spurrier took the high-road, but I could be wrong.

I don't know Herrmag, I never heard that. I heard earlier in the season that some mediots were saying that Joe had the same record as Spurrier at that point in his tenure. I think Spurrier took the high-road, but I could be wrong.

I'll admit, I'm not 100% percent on this....But I'm pretty sure he made those remarks. I'm not saying he was vicious with the comments, but I believe he made them....Remember, he took a year off, and had a lot of time to talk :laugh: . If I'm completely wrong, and I'm delusional, then I thoroughly apologize to the Ball Coach. I did like him, regardless of his ineptitude as an NFL coach.

Hey Spurrier may suck in the NFL but the guy is an AWESOME college coach. He ALREADY turned around the SC program in one year. I hope no NFL team ever gets him again but i sure would like to have seen Baylor hire him (i go to school there). We could use a coach like that as bad as we are.

When he left he said "Hopefully I'll be remembered as the guy who stepped aside to allow JG to return."

Bzzzzzzzt.....wrong. I remember him as they guy who pathetically insisted on DSanny Wuerfel at QB....after he had already failed.

That was some sorry football...

Thats all the old ball coach is an NCAA coach really, when u think about it not one of the top ones either. How many Natl titles has he won? 1 in all the years he has been there. His game planning is a joke, his eye for talent is a joke, his play calling is a joke (go long and Danny will hit you in front of the blonde cheerleader) he is a legend in his own mind. Who gives a d@mn what that loser thinks

His comment was the 6-10 record was the average of his two seasons as he was 7-9 his first year and 5-10 his second year.

True Spurrier will never be a head coach in the NFL, but he would've fared better in the NFL if he had experienced assistants.

I have a lot of hate for Spurrier. I went to every home game in his tenure and feel he wasted everyones time in the stands, on the field, and in the organization. He couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in the NFL and should have realized it after season 1.

I hope SC goes 0-10 and gets beat by Clemson by 40 points next year.

Yes. I am bitter at that guy.

For some reason I don't have any animosity towards Steve Spurrier. I loved his "act" when he was coach of the Florida Gators and I think he still adds spice to college football.

Things didn't work out here with the Skins but he certainly didn't walk into the greatest situation either. If you remember he was promised a GM when he was hired and he never got one. Then personel moves were made without his consent. Rob Johnson over Danny Wuerffel, the signing of Darrell Russell etc.

I still feel that a guy can't be that successful a head coach everywhere he's been (Duke, USFL, Florida and now South Carolina) and not be at least decent on the NFL level. Unfortunately, Spurrier was so beaten down that he quit on the Skins instead of trying to "fight" through the malaise that set in during the 2003 season and for that, shame on him.

I wish him all the best in South Carolina.

If for some reason Dungy were to get out of football and Spurrier were to take over and be able to keep that offensive line I think their offnse would be onstoppable. If spurrier has a GREAT offensive line than he would do great in the nfl but with a bad to even a good offensive line than he will never be able to guide a NFL team into a playoff spot.

I hate Norvo the Clown.

I detest Schotferbrains.

But I actually respect Spurrier. Whereas Norvo is the NFL version of herpes, constantly making a reappearance just when you think he's been wiped out, Spurrier realized he was outmatched and turned down $15million to step down. He could've forced Dan to fire him and pay him the $$$, the way Schothead did, or he could've stuck around for one more miserable year. Instead, he stepped down and didn't make any really disparaging remarks, other than one overblown comment at a booster club. If Spurrier had had Williams as his defensive coordinator, Bugel as his Oline coach, with Moss and Patten as WRs and Portis in the backfield, we would've made the playoffs. We'd get BLOWN OUT in the first game, but we'd get there. I'm VERY glad he's gone, but I can't bring myself to hate the guy.

Spurrier was on PTI a while ago and said he would never coach in the NFL again. He likes the relaxed atmosphere of college over the strenuous schedule of the NFL. He said he had the utmost respect for all the NFL coaches but said that the lifestyle was not for him.

His comment was the 6-10 record was the average of his two seasons as he was 7-9 his first year and 5-10 his second year.

True Spurrier will never be a head coach in the NFL, but he would've fared better in the NFL if he had experienced assistants.

The real coach that year was Marvin Lewis I wanted Snyder to try and kep him But Lewis wanted a Head coaching job. Man how sory things would have been if Lweis had stayed 1 more year then left we would have had spurrier for 3 years and most likely no gibbs

What makes me laugh is how ridiculous the media was when Spurrier first got hired... if I had a nickel for every time I heard some jerkoff football pundit say he would "revolutionize the game" I'd be rich.

I was upset when Schottenheimer got fired, because I felt like the team had turned the corner -- hell, they finished 8-3 in their last 11 games. (Did anyone else get the feeling that, during the first five games of 2001, that team was the worst you'd ever seen?) And they turned the corner with Tony Banks of all quarterbacks, the same guy the Texans turned to to ensure the #1 pick in next year's draft. :laugh:

For some reason I don't have any animosity towards Steve Spurrier. I loved his "act" when he was coach of the Florida Gators and I think he still adds spice to college football.

Things didn't work out here with the Skins but he certainly didn't walk into the greatest situation either. If you remember he was promised a GM when he was hired and he never got one. Then personel moves were made without his consent. Rob Johnson over Danny Wuerffel, the signing of Darrell Russell etc.

I still feel that a guy can't be that successful a head coach everywhere he's been (Duke, USFL, Florida and now South Carolina) and not be at least decent on the NFL level. Unfortunately, Spurrier was so beaten down that he quit on the Skins instead of trying to "fight" through the malaise that set in during the 2003 season and for that, shame on him.

I wish him all the best in South Carolina.

I feel the same way. Spurrier just could not bring himself to be the hard nosed guy that he needed to be when the team got out of control.

He kept saying that the players have to play thier assignments and they were grown men.

He kinda quit on the team and the team quit on him.

He is better where he is and happy.. good for him.

We are happy also, so good for us!

Hahaha man, this is funny stuff. I love how we're looking for everyone and anyone who talked even the smallest amount of smack over the past few years. :laugh: :laugh:

My neighbor's dog barked "happily" one time last year after the Cowboys beat the Redskins.... So I shot him yesterday. Just seemed like the thing to do.

Archived