Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So Do We Really Need A De Next Year???

qcraftsman

I dont like Wynn very much, he never and I mean NEVER gets to the QB and only about half the time get his hands up. He is a very very solid tackler though, I only wish we could combine his run stopping ability with someone who knew how the hell to get to the QB and we would have...well another Charles Mann on our hands. :D

We need several lineman, on both sides of the ball. The games we struggle in are the games where we have trouble controlling the line of scrimmage. I like Wynn & Daniels but they (& Joe S. as well) are best when platooned. Our #1 O-line sub is 43.

As we don't own our 1st round pick, I'd hope the scouts are focused on this.

Cheers,

CLBinMD

I think that what these last 5 games has shown us is that its not as pressing a need as it seemed. Our starters are capable of doing things. But the problem with Daniels Wynn and even Salvea is that they are really nothing without Griffin. Our line shouldn't be so one dimensional. You saw the games, Griffin goes down, suddenly people are calling for Williams's pink slip. We need more impact players on the line who can possibly change a game. Griffin does a nice job at it, but the game is won and lost on the line so we need to make sure we're ready to win that battle.

While Daniels has drastically improved his level of play, I have always winced when Williams brings a linebacker blitz. It leaves receivers downfield to make large plays. Why does he do this? He desperately needs a consistent, threatening pass rusher. DE has been a legendary position over the years, Charles Mann and Dexter Manley springing to mind off-hand. Let's keep the tradition alive.

I'm with you, in that I want a DE that can bring some heat off the edge, but he has to be the right sort of player. People clamoring for a Robert Mathis or a John Abraham need to understand that those players do not fit one iota with what GW and GB are trying to do on the DL. The primary responsibilty of the DL is to stop the run, according to GB, and undersized and "selfish" DEs who line up super-wide to rush the passer every down are detrimental to that end.

Players like Aaron Kampman and Darren Howard should be on our radar. Established players with decent size and strength. Kampman brings a huge motor, and Howard brings a lot of talent. Those should our targets in FA, IMO.

I think that what these last 5 games has shown us is that its not as pressing a need as it seemed. Our starters are capable of doing things. But the problem with Daniels Wynn and even Salvea is that they are really nothing without Griffin. Our line shouldn't be so one dimensional. You saw the games, Griffin goes down, suddenly people are calling for Williams's pink slip. We need more impact players on the line who can possibly change a game. Griffin does a nice job at it, but the game is won and lost on the line so we need to make sure we're ready to win that battle.

Absolutely. Daniels and Wynn have played well recently but only agianst teams with poor/banged up offensive lines. Speaking of which, they looked awfully pedestrian again for most of the game against the Eagles. Considering that they didn't even pretend to want to run and their O-line injuries that is a little distressing. I would say the Bucs O-line is one we should match up well against (with Griffin this time around) as they are pretty mediocre but Gruden has been going all out Gibbs style with his playcalling lately. They use a lot of I-form twin TE 1 reciever sets with Alstott and the TE's helping in protection. The problem with that is they probably will be able to pick up our blitzes pretty consistently and it makes it much harder to guess pass or run. Just like we do with Moss, they try to set up Galloway by forcing extra men in the box with their big sets and then throw out of them when they get a good match up. It should be a good one, these are 2 really similar teams. I would say we have a stronger O-line and RB than them but they have a better D-line than us. Everything else is damn near equal. The big difference this time around, though, is that Sean Taylor will be back there to keep those deep balls from being completed. I expect Taylor to play a lot of deep coverage and for our D to blitz less overall due to a combination of their max protect schemes and our injuries at CB.

Why cant lavar play at DE, he is fast enuff, and would allow him to do his thing against the run as well.

LaVar weighs in at just over 250 - he would get run all over as a 1st and 2nd down DE up agianst 320 lb tackles. He could (should) play as DE in passing situations though. Still don't understand why he comes out on 3rd downs - but what do I know.

We do need a DE who can get pressure but you have to understand that in our system the DE is supposed to hold up against the run and take the tackle in passing situations to allow LBs and blitzing DBs to get the sacks - GW does not put a premium on DEs who are pure pass rushers.

If Daniels can play the way he is now all season and we can add a pass rushing end who can come in for Wynn on passing downs we would be good to go.

Forget an Abrhams or Freeney type though - they do not fit our system.

I expect Taylor to play a lot of deep coverage and for our D to blitz less overall due to a combination of their max protect schemes and our injuries at CB.

Good analysis but I disagree with you on the blitz issue. Because we have injuries in the secondary we have to get pressure on Simms, if he can get time he is going to find guys open. We do not get consistent pressure from the DLine so we need to send LB's and DB's.

It is hard to complete passes under a pile of defenders.

If Simms can beat the blitz and make big plays - congratulations. I don't think he can enough to win. We have to play well on offense as well - much better than Sunday to both control the clock and out enough points on the Borad to put more pressure on Simms to try to make plays that are not there and force turnovers.

HTTR

martin

Archived