Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The rise and fall of Lavar Arrington (NICE READ!)

js79

Jeez, talk about people hating, let's try to be positive here, this man has given his heart and soul to this team and you people tell him to go packing? What the hell is wrong with these fans? Don't you see the circus Lavar was in with our head-coaching/defensive staff and even now with the owner of the team? All he did was be positive and reflect all the love he got from the fans to the field.

He has been mentally disturbed by the benching he recieved, but Gregg tends to slowly ease the players back in after missing significant time. He understood he needed to improve his practices and do more film study, which he HAS and it's been reflected on the field. He plays his position, just watch the games and you will see with your own eyes.

It also has to do a bit with our coaching staff too, they are pretty stubborn, and by benching Lavar and taking him out in 3rd downs isn't the greatest thing to do for a player that plays his heart out for this team.

Support our players, they play their hearts out for us. If you can't then don't say detrimental things about them, it affects our team. Let's focus on Philly.

One thing that I'll mention, Arrington's best year was the one before Lewis got here. That stats may not bear it out, but he was better that year. The year Lewis was here, he got sacks, but he was always playing as a DE on passing downs because Lewis didn't trust him in space.

Arrington to me symbolizes the Redskins from the time Snyder got here until Gibbs returned. They always look better on paper than they do on the field. He has skills, but besides that one year with Schottenheimer he's never played up to what everyone expected him to be.

He was once the face of hope for a franchise in disarray, and that's why I think so many fans care so much about a guy who was replaced seamlessly last year by an undrafted Lemar Marshall. People like the thought of what Lavar can do, and it overshadows the reality of what kind of player Lavar is now. He's just an average player, who can and will be replaced for someone cheaper in the near future.

Dan Snyder was able to coax Joe Gibbs out of retirement and he, along with new defensive coordinator and former Bills head coach Gregg Williams, had big plans for LaVar Arrington. Williams envisioned an aggressive, explosive defense that would let Arrington blitz at will and let him make plays. Williams liked the idea of letting Arrington freelance about the field, letting his athleticism and insticts take over. In other words, Williams envisioned Arrington as doing the things he did back in college.

Huh? Sorry, but I've watched this D for two years now, and if anything, it is a very disciplined scheme that requires players to be in certain spots, which is important if you are stopping the run first. I certainly don't see room for "freelancing" in this D, nor am I seeing players freelancing.

Now lets move to the 2005 season part of our story. This season has not been kind to LaVar Arrington. Gregg Williams, defensive genius, has not been happy with who should be his star player. Arrington saw limited action in the 1st 3 games of the season, all Washington wins. As the Redskins celebrated a stunning 3-0 start, it was clear that Arrington was in the doghouse. He was seeing less and less snaps per game and had in all, just 2 tackles on the season. Over the next two games, both narrow Redskin losses, Arrington saw exactly ZERO snaps. Gregg Williams clearly did not like what he saw in Arrington. He preferred to start relative no-name Warrick Holdman instead.

What? No mention that he was still recovering from his injuries last year, and learning a defense that he didn't play for most of 2004?

Arrington, though, is not being used a lot by Gregg Williams. One of his chief strengths, rushing the passer, has not been utilized at all. Arrington is never on the field for 3rd and long, thus eliminating the most obvious way to blitz him. But at least he is playing.

He actually hasn't been that impressive rushing the passer this year, and others have argued that this really isn't one of this strengths. I think his strength right now is his speed and being able to go sideline to sideline.

Arrington in all likelihood won't retire. He is playing once again after that benching. But he has zero sacks on the year and that number doesn't figure to get any bigger. He has not been an integral part of the team despite that huge contract, but the Redskins are 9-6 and one win away from their first playoff berth in the Arrington era. Their first playoff berth in the Arrington era may come in a season in which Warrick Holdman has been favored over the Golden Boy.

Yawn. When healthy, he's been playing 1st and 2nd downs and Holdman has been regulated to the bench.

In the end, this guy has bought into the drama that Lavar has created for himself and by the media. If it was any other player, the reality of the situation would have come out, rather than the soap opera that is Lavar nowadays. The guy was coming off a knee injury and was not healthy until midway through training camp. Then, he had to play catchup and get ready to play.

Jason

If the chargers give us a 1st for arrington I would take it in a heartbeat. Skins should definitely push for a move like this. Thats a team that needs an infusion of talent that can play now, as opposed to draft picks for the future. That team, despite their pathetic performances this season, is gearing up for a championship run.

I was at the Giants game Sunday, on the home team side. I watched Lavar come off the field and knock over the Gatorade table, spilling water everywhere and disrupting the trainers. He was very PO'ed. The thing was, while he was throwing his tantrum, the team was playing their best game in years. To me, that little fit is symbolic of what Lavar has become. He is more concerned about himself than the team.

Don't get me wrong, I used to be a big Lavar fan. I have purchased two of his jerseys, one for me and one for my girlfriend. I looked forward to seeing him in Gregg William's defensive schemes. Sadly, he has put himself before the team lately. I don't like that.

Last year he begged to play at the end of the season. He got to play and then criticisized the team publicly for playing him. He said they rushed him back from an injury. So this year, they give him time to heal early in the season and he complains about not playing. WTF? Not only that, he also complained about his 65 million dollar contract. WTF? And now, before the biggest game of his career, he is more focused on what will happen to him next year than what will happen to the Redskins Sunday against the Eagles. Shame on him for giving this interview and shame on the Washington Times for printing it.

I had the highest hopes for Lavar. I enjoy watching his amazing athleticism and energy on the field. However, I am afraid he has become overpaid and selfish, making him a bad fit for the team-first, character-driven organization Gibbs is trying to rebuild.

We can clear a lot of cap room, which can be used to sign two or three valuable role players, by releasing him. It looks like that is the best thing for all parties at this juncture. Let somebody else deal with his tantrums.:2cents:

Brilliant read. Sometimes I feel that Lavar's career would be a whole lot different if he would've had a monotonous relationship with a defensive coordinator. This is actually the first year he has had a def. coordinator for two years straight. To me this is the root cause for Lavar's up-down career. Our defensive scheme has changed every year of Lavars existance. It's hard to become the defensive player he's supposed to be, if the system changes on a yearly basis.

Petitbon said on Sports 980 that changing your defensive scheme definitely hurts chemistry.

Petitbon said on Sports 980 that changing your defensive scheme definitely hurts chemistry.

And Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels have been here just as long and endured just as much change yet are TRUE Redskins :logo: who are not only playing at high level, but are leaders that other players look up to. Don't give me the injury BS excuse either cuz Jansen blew out his achilles, and has been playing most of the year with 2 broken thumbs this season.

Enough excuses already. He is who he is: A pathetic joke who is looking for pity and has apparently found it from a few fools on this board.

I think LaVar finally pushed himself of the pedestal I had put him on this week. Gibbs had it right - everyone should be focused on Philly. Why does LA need to invite a reporter into his living room this week in order to vent - couldn't he have waited until after we won the Super Bowl?

Despite what he says - he's all about "me". Otherwise he would have kept his mouth shut until after the season.

Listen, we can all write 100 different editorials about Lavar's situation, but none of us will ever know how he and the front office act without cameras.

For instance: Ok, Lavar says that if he gets cut from the redskins, he may just retire. He has a huge contract right now, yet people around the league also know that he's been having some troubles with the redskins organization.

Lavar says it was a misunderstanding.

Coaches say they won't pay attention and that this stuff is detrimental to the team.

Some people say that Lavar really was misquoted.

Some people think he's trying to spite the team by making himself basically unnattractive for other team prospects.

No one will know the answer unless there is an insider who speaks out.

Enough excuses already. He is who he is: A pathetic joke who is looking for pity and has apparently found it from a few fools on this board.

I wouldn't go as far as to call him a pathetic joke. Regardless of what has happened to him, he has had impressive numbers and I, for one, cheer everytime he takes someone down for negative yards or contains a sweep play, etc. He has helped our team so far, and I have not been able to directly link any huge defensive giveup to him.

Guest Gichin13

I have supported Lavar for years. I have said on this board that he deserved to play and was a waste on the bench. I still think he should have seen at least some third down action ...

This article, though, really is inexcusable. I do not care about context. I do not care about parsing out the part where he really wants to retire as a Redskin. He should have known by now how inflammatory this would be and if he gave a damn about the team, should have kept his mouth shut for a few more weeks until we were in the offseason.

Really disappointed in him, but I really do think he is history now and it is a total waste. Talk about a could have been player, but he never has and apparently never will get his head in the game long enough to reach his potential.

Guest Gichin13

Lavar says it was a misunderstanding.

Coaches say they won't pay attention and that this stuff is detrimental to the team.

Some people say that Lavar really was misquoted.

Some people think he's trying to spite the team by making himself basically unnattractive for other team prospects.

No one will know the answer unless there is an insider who speaks out.

The problem with your theory is Lavar was interviewed yesterday on channel 9 news. While he complained about things taken out of context, he admitted that he said those things.

hey...let him go to the Boys, Gints or Iggles....GW can build a better defense without him. We don't need him.....he's washed up. He'ld obviously hurt those teams and would be no threat to us........just another Trotter!

You're having too much fun all over the place again :laugh:

:eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

Jumbo...you're alright brotha.

yea...this one ticks me off. good thing there are adults like you around! have a safe and happy New Year celebrating the SKins first step into the playoffs since 99!! This whole LA thing will be a dead issue Monday morning.

I'm sick and tired of the whole LA nonsense on this board. LA deserves condemnation or the timing....but the nonsense some folks are posting is amplifiing this beyond all measure. I want to focus on getting the juices roiled up for a smashing victory this weekend - not wallowing in player hatred. it is amazing to no end that the balance of posts by those who "bleed burgandy and gold" is focused on LA and not the Philly game. the LA thing goes away if you ignore and shine the light on what we are all here for - winning football by our team.

Archived