Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As crazy as it sounds...let's take Philly off :).

Art

Gibbs will prepare for both scenario's if he is considerig to rest if the Giants should win the east.

I understand what you're saying, but, do you understand the benefit of dialing it back comes mostly Monday through Saturday, NOT just on Sunday. If you dial it back, give the players a mental and physical rest, the benefit comes during the week.

Obviously you'd prefer the East and a home game. But, the equation is somewhat more complex than that should this scenario occur. The equation has to factor in the unlikely nature of actually winning the division given the Giants play Oakland. The fact that you are almost certain to be on the road the following week may impact how you prepare. Would we have greater benefit working the guys all week very hard, then finding out the Philly game is meaningless, and then work them hard the next week.

Interesting dillema.

Assuming they lock up the 6 seed this week, and assuming the Giants would beat the Raiders, the Redskins could treat Philly as a bye-week and prepare for the Giants, essentially giving them 2 weeks preparation to play a road playoff game.

Or the Redskins could prepare as usual against the Eagles hoping that the Giants fall flat and winning the East on the last day of the season. This would give the Redskins a short week to prepare to play a road playoff game if the Giants in all likelihood beat the Raiders.

Fortunately, this decision doesn't need to be made until Monday. But I have a feeling that one of the Falcons, Vikings, or Cowboys will win this week, forcing the Redskins to beat the Eagles to make it into the playoffs, rendering this decision moot.

It's as near a lock as you can get. Trust me. The Ravens are bad, but the Vikings are horrid. They got fat on bad teams. They are counting the days until Tice gets fired and new management comes in.

But the Ravens ARE a bad team like the others the Vikings have gotten fat on. Also, despite the recent history of Vikings losing to us in Week 17 last year, you've got to remember that the Vikings need this game and the Ravens do not.

(EDIT- And there's no way Tice is getting fired this season. Not after actually making a playoff run without the franchise player and amidst a scandal as notorious and far-reaching as the Sex Boat.)

Art you're just plain wrong again. :D

We want a home playoff game so that you can come back to tailgate with us again. This time we will just keep drinking shots at Chappele's bar until you get some sense! If someone get's hurt in Philly you and I can play for them with our FedEx 12th man buddies in the stands and we will kick a. :dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

It's as near a lock as you can get. Trust me. The Ravens are bad, but the Vikings are horrid. They got fat on bad teams. They are counting the days until Tice gets fired and new management comes in.

Plus, the Ravens are coming off a 48-3 blowout of the Packers...they are gonna be jacked for the game this weekend...Vikes will lose and lose big.

Two reasons NOT to rest injured and good players at the Philly game:

1) Why not try for the crown and a home game in the playoffs

2)Even if we're pretty much locked into the 6 spot, keeping players fresh is bigger than many think. You must play them for at least the first half if that 6 spot is locked AND the only place we can go.

And don't say "They can still practice all week" because that and game play are much different. We play Philly and beat them. Hope for the best with NY and Oak...assuming we beat the giants.

I understand what you're saying, but, do you understand the benefit of dialing it back comes mostly Monday through Saturday, NOT just on Sunday. If you dial it back, give the players a mental and physical rest, the benefit comes during the week.

Gibbs will play to win... and home field advantage even for 1 game is huge

Now if the crazy happens and the Bears lose, Panthers fall and the Bucs drop the game, obviously we have to win twice and we have a chance for No. 2 in the playoffs. Still, I think under this scenario given we are LIKELY to be on the road as No. 6, should we win and the Vikes, Falcons and Pokes lose, I might take the final game as a resting week.

If we clinch this weekend, and can not move up, then we should rest, we are to thin right now.

But the Ravens ARE a bad team like the others the Vikings have gotten fat on. Also, despite the recent history of Vikings losing to us in Week 17 last year, you've got to remember that the Vikings need this game and the Ravens do not.

(EDIT- And there's no way Tice is getting fired this season. Not after actually making a playoff run without the franchise player and amidst a scandal as notorious and far-reaching as the Sex Boat.)

I KNOW the Vikings and their mentality. Trust me when I tell you they are done. But, the Ravens, for being an injured, bad team, do win at home. They are 0-7 on the road and 5-2 at home. Billick will have extra motivation given this is his former team and given he's kind of trying not to get fired so he'll be cutting it a little more loose than normal.

This game is the one I'm most certain of :).

I don't agree at all.

The Raiders are hardly a layup for the Giants. We're talking about Oakland on New Years Eve, a popular team coming to town, with the chance to potentially ruin their season. You know the Raidah crazies will be all dressed up for a nationally televised game. Plus, I'm sure Collins would like nothing better than a little payback to Coughlin for cutting him. And it's been well documented that Manning has struggled on the road, looking anything but smooth in victories over the 9ers and Philly. Finally, If we beat them this week they will be pressing knowing that they need to win that game for the division.

All that aside, even if we didn't technically need the Philly game to get in, I'm not a fan of dialing it back unless you have a first round bye locked up which would slow momentum no matter how much you have (Seattle?).

We're on a bit of a roll right now. If we take down the Giants and look somewhat solid doing it, we will be a team that no one wants to face in the playoffs. If we don't carry that over into and through Philly, I don't think there's any guarantee that we can get it back once the 1st qtr of a playoff game starts. We saw a team against Dallas that very much believes in what they are doing right now, despite how banged up we are. Even the backups are flying around. I don't want Gibbs to do anything to jeopardize that momentum. No rest for the weary!

I KNOW the Vikings and their mentality. Trust me when I tell you they are done. But, the Ravens, for being an injured, bad team, do win at home. They are 0-7 on the road and 5-2 at home. Billick will have extra motivation given this is his former team and given he's kind of trying not to get fired so he'll be cutting it a little more loose than normal.

This game is the one I'm most certain of :).

I would say the Dallas game is the most certain, they gave up in the first half last week, no way they show up next week.

Obviously you'd prefer the East and a home game. But, the equation is somewhat more complex than that should this scenario occur. The equation has to factor in the unlikely nature of actually winning the division given the Giants play Oakland. The fact that you are almost certain to be on the road the following week may impact how you prepare. Would we have greater benefit working the guys all week very hard, then finding out the Philly game is meaningless, and then work them hard the next week.

There's an emotional cresendo happening here to some degree.

We were up for Dallas. We WILL be up for New York given what they did to us. If Philly is meaningless the guys will know it. If you've worked them hard all week and it's meaningless you get no benefit of the week you knew you were likely going to be heading somewhere anyway. To me, I bring the level down a peg, rest them and have them back up for the road game as the home game is unlikely.

Although I agree that some of these players need a rest, they are professionals. They prepare for the best possible scenario, the Superbowl. I am a firm believer in momentum. If we roll into the playoffs with a 5 game winning streak, even IF the Philly game is meaningless, it gives our team the monmentum to carry us through 2-3 road games.

Nothing has fallen into our laps this season. Our team has had to earn EVERY win. I don't see the plaoff spot being secured next week anyway. We Should be able to overcome the Giants, but 3 teams have to lose that lost this week. The probability of that happening is far from certain.

In a league where ANY team can beat another on any given Sunday, momentum has to be key. Thus, I have to say play the game like we have played the last 4 and go into the playoffs with a 5 game winning streak.

Trust me there will be plenty of time to rest between the Championship game and the Superbowl!

Although I agree that some of these players need a rest, they are professionals. They prepare for the best possible scenario, the Superbowl. I am a firm believer in momentum. If we roll into the playoffs with a 5 game winning streak, even IF the Philly game is meaningless, it gives our team the monmentum to carry us through 2-3 road games.

Nothing has fallen into our laps this season. Our team has had to earn EVERY win. I don't see the plaoff spot being secured next week anyway. We Should be able to overcome the Giants, but 3 teams have to lose that lost this week. The probability of that happening is far from certain.

In a league where ANY team can beat another on any given Sunday, momentum has to be key. Thus, I have to say play the game like we have played the last 4 and go into the playoffs with a 5 game winning streak.

Trust me there will be plenty of time to rest between the Championship game and the Superbowl!

I agree

I would expect that the Redskins players to a man would want to be playing in front of 90,000 of their best friends, rather than on the road.

On 980 Daniels was on with LaVar and he said that the KEY of the Dallas game was the 12th man. He said that HE couldn't even hear Bledsoe. We were not allowing the Dallas offense to get into anytype of rhythm. So, I would say HELL YEAH! We need a home playoff game!

I'd say rest em'. They haven't had a BYE since what -- Week 3? They could really use some time off. One week of rest would be extremely beneficial for THIS team at THIS point in the season.

If their BYE week was later in the season, I'd probably say bring the house to Philly.

I would go as far to say that the Ravens are not that bad a team... not nearly as bad as their record indicates. Ask the Broncos ;)

The Vikings are going to get slapped. I don't see them moving the ball at all on offense. If the Ravens put up 3 points they win.

I would go as far to say that the Ravens are not that bad a team... not nearly as bad as their record indicates. Ask the Broncos ;)

The Vikings are going to get slapped. I don't see them moving the ball at all on offense. If the Ravens put up 3 points they win.

I don't know about that, but the Vikings will get beat. Most overrated team in the NFL. I was so pissed when they had a better record than us, because I knew we were much better and that we would spank them if we played.

Next week, it's Atlanta at Tampa, Minny at Baltimore, and Dallas at Carolina. If each of the favored teams wins these games, it would be very good for us.

I don't know about that, but the Vikings will get beat. .

Out of all the teams in the NFL with a losing record, the Ravens are the team I would LEAST like to play... especially in Baltimore. They are better than all these teams (much better):

Buffalo

NY Jets

Browns

Titans

Texans

Raiders

Eagles

Lions

Packers

Saints

Rams

Cards

49ers

But the Vikes are toast... we agree on that. :) :point2sky

If we lock up the #6 seed this weekend, I would treat the Philly game like

a preseason game. Let the starters play little over a qtr to keep their

edge. Then give them rest of the game off.

We need to revisit this next week. Then we'll have a better idea of

our situation.

Archived