Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As crazy as it sounds...let's take Philly off :).

Art

Should the Redskins win this week it is entirely conceivable -- probable even -- we clinch a playoff spot. We know this as should Tampa beat Atlanta, Carolina top Dallas and Baltimore top Minnesota, all three teams being at home, then, a win puts us in.

A win also does something else. It locks us in to the No. 6 spot in the playoffs OR the No. 4 spot in the playoffs. We can't catch Tampa for the No. 5 spot because of the tiebreaker edge they have on us should they win one more game and should Carolina win as well.

Seattle and Chicago will have the top two seeds unless Chicago just collapses due to Chicago's 9-1 conference record. So, as the No. 6 seed we'll play either the Giants or the Panthers on the road. Likely the Panthers in this scenario where we take the Giants down and Carolina wins this week.

So, my question is this.

Should we win this week and the Vikings, Falcons and Cowboys lose, assuring us a playoff spot, how do you play the following week?

We can prepare hard, get everyone ready for Philly, fight hard, win and hope the Giants fall to the Raiders to give us a home game against Tampa or do you put every guy with any kind of ding on the bench, dial it in against Philly and take the harder road in the playoffs?

Do we receive more benefit from essentially having our better players more rested but playing on the road than we do playing them harder, likely STILL playing on the road, but POSSIBLY getting a home game?

I'm somewhat torn :0.

Now if the crazy happens and the Bears lose, Panthers fall and the Bucs drop the game, obviously we have to win twice and we have a chance for No. 2 in the playoffs. Still, I think under this scenario given we are LIKELY to be on the road as No. 6, should we win and the Vikes, Falcons and Pokes lose, I might take the final game as a resting week.

Well, personally, I'm not counting on Baltimore to beat ANYBODY, no matter what that guy wearing Kyle Boller's jersey last night did.

But with a win this week, I think we have to keep our foot on the pedal and hope that Oakland has enough in the tank to take the Giants down in week 17 so we get the division. (Which is very possible, considering that Norv Turner is on the hot seat and needs respect going into the offseason, and the Black Hole is still the Black Hole, even though it hasn't been very intimidating lately.)

I believe your thought process is completely responsible. However I think it should only pertain to the players who are "nicked". Anyone who needs time to heal should. Portis, Moss and Brunnel should play a half at most. Griffin, Salavae, Springs, and yes I said it, Walt Harris the same. Maybe Washington as well but only if we are being ultra conservative.

One caveat to all of this.... if a win insures a home playoff game we play balls out for 4 quarters. Home games in the playoffs are like gold and you need to do whatever it takes to earn them.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it...

If we clinch a playoff spot then we must rest our guys. We haven't had a bye week since week three and are suffering from a good bit more wear and tear going twelve straight weeks. As much as I would love a home game, (and it is still conceviable to win with not all of our starters playing against a banged up philly) we need to take any advantage of rest we can get.

Is the game in Oakland with the Giants at 4? I think we play at 1:00 PM which means we have to play all out because we still have a chance in the division. don't know about you I rather face TB at FedEx than the Giants in NY.

The Giants/Raoders game is on saturday...so depending on if they win or lose, we will know wjat to do. If they win, we rest our starters...if they lose, we beat the hell out of Philly and win the division thereby getitng to host the 1st round game.

I'm for resting anyone that needs it. That week 3 bye, being scheduled ridiculously early in the season, was a long, long time ago. This team needs to rest if it can - especially the main front 4 who are either dinged up or have been playing a ton of snaps.

I'm hoping for irony of ironies that the Skins win this week and Norv beats the Giants. Then Norv would have brought 2 NFC East titles to Washington. :cool:

baltimore beating minnesota is far from a lock.

It's as near a lock as you can get. Trust me. The Ravens are bad, but the Vikings are horrid. They got fat on bad teams. They are counting the days until Tice gets fired and new management comes in.

If we clinch a playoff spot then we must rest our guys. We haven't had a bye week since week three and are suffering from a good bit more wear and tear going twelve straight weeks. As much as I would love a home game, (and it is still conceviable to win with not all of our starters playing against a banged up philly) we need to take any advantage of rest we can get.

I think that momentum is a major factor going into the playoffs and so, if we find ourselves in that position, I think we should start the game with our starters and if we are up by three scores of more then we should put in our backup players. I do not think it would be a good plan to be going into the playoffs with a loss to Philly.

The Raiders/Giants game is on Saturday. Ours is on Sunday. By the time we play, we'll know if it is benificial for us to win the game or not. :)

Except that if you make the decision to rest guys who are hurt, you do that on Monday, not Saturday night. You don't have guys practice and prepare all week only to pull the plug. You don't rest them all week only to play them.

You're right that we'll know going in though :).

I say play to win if we beat the g-men on sat. i think there is a great chance that the raiders beat the g-men in oakland! that would give us the division, goota go for the w's.......i honestly believe that the g-men will lose their last 2 games on the road, they r a completely different team on the road! giving us a great chance at the division title.

If we beat the Giants, then we should try to win in Philly, if the Giants are losing to Oakland.

Wouldn't you rather the NFC East and a home game?

Obviously you'd prefer the East and a home game. But, the equation is somewhat more complex than that should this scenario occur. The equation has to factor in the unlikely nature of actually winning the division given the Giants play Oakland. The fact that you are almost certain to be on the road the following week may impact how you prepare. Would we have greater benefit working the guys all week very hard, then finding out the Philly game is meaningless, and then work them hard the next week.

There's an emotional cresendo happening here to some degree.

We were up for Dallas. We WILL be up for New York given what they did to us. If Philly is meaningless the guys will know it. If you've worked them hard all week and it's meaningless you get no benefit of the week you knew you were likely going to be heading somewhere anyway. To me, I bring the level down a peg, rest them and have them back up for the road game as the home game is unlikely.

Except that if you make the decision to rest guys who are hurt, you do that on Monday, not Saturday night. You don't have guys practice and prepare all week only to pull the plug. You don't rest them all week only to play them.

We should plan to play starters, but if the game is meaningless, we can have our starters play just a quarter.

Gibbs will prepare for both scenario's if he is considering to rest if the Giants should win the east.

Archived