Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts On Taylor Jacobs

scrol14

Say what you want about Royal, he can get open...'nuf said already re: Cooley.

The reason Royal still gets passes thrown to him despite his problems with dropsies are BECAUSE Brunell checks down or prefers throwing short, not because those receivers are particularly good.

And Royal isn't bad, but the point is, anyone could line up at TE and Brunell would throw them the ball. He will not throw downfield except to Moss, even if the other guy is more open than Moss is.

For instance that deep ball, Moss was covered until the ball was well in the air. Part of that is Brunell trusting Moss to make a play on it, the other part of it is Brunell is afraid to throw to anyone else with anything resembling regularity.

Hell he throws it up when Moss is involved, but even when the other WRs are open it takes an often lot for him to go their way.

I have seen some negativity towards his role as the #2 receiver and I don't know how fair we are actually being towards him.

He had 1 ball thrown to him which could have been a catch in bounds, but Brunell could have made a better pass. Brunell threw it a little late

We are not a run and gun offense and I STILL think Jacobs will be a good possession receiver, Moss only caught 2 balls!

Does everyone think we can give a fair evaluation of a receiver when he only get 1 ball thrown to him?????

Who?

Jacobs has been around for years. He's been hurt a lot (which unfortunately is a knock against him) and he hasn't been productive in his few opportunities. I think that you can blame a player for not getting balls thrown his way. If he was performing in practice and performing in the games, he'd have more balls thrown his way. Jacobs, at this stage of his career, is looking like a bust.

Dude the guy pretty much blows. You can say all you want about how he isn't being used very much, isn't getting a fair shake, etc but it doesn't matter. How can you blame Brunell on that play? A real receiver makes that play 8 out of every 10 times.

exactly a good receiver knows where hes at and will make sure he has both feet in when he makes the catch that is one of the basics of football make sure your feet are in when your close to the sideline receivers practice that. personally Jacobs has had long enough to prove something and hes done nothing.His stay here is long over due

It is hard to tell with Jacobs, it is clear he is not dominating or he would see the ball more but it does not seem he is a factor and being a 2nd round pick years ago he should be showing more then he has.

Agreed. Jacobs definitely has not played up to expectations. He is performing like a late round pick at this point. His salary is relatively cheap although one could even argue that he is overpaid. He will make close to 1.67 million over the next two years.

Might as well hold onto him and hope for improvement. The best that we saw from him was at the end of last year and he has actually regressed. I don't get it. All I know is that he should have gotten two feet down on that catch.

I am not a fan of Tyler Jenkins. He is taking up a roster spot that could be put to better use in my opinion. However, Mrs. GV tells me my opinions, much like my hands - I should keep to myself.

So - I offer up some stats on Mr. Jenkins. We all know that 93.5% of all NFL stats paint an accurate portrait of the player.

With 2 regular season games to go I've averaged everyone to be on pace for:

Tyler Jenkins - #84

2005 13 catches 118 yards

2004 16 catches 178 yards

2003 3 catches 37 yards

On average - Mr. Jenkins makes about $750K per year.

In 2005 - he makes $58K per catch.....or about $6,400 per yard.

To put this in perspective:

On the average - Mr. Cooley makes about $500K per year.

In 2005 - he makes $6.5K per catch or about $669 per yard

On the average - Mr. Moss makes about $4.4 Million per year.

In 2005 - he makes $51K per catch or about $3,165 per yard

Tyler Jenkins is the most expensive WR non-bust I've seen on this team in a long time....but I forget that he means more to this team than Moss and Cooley. Mr. Jenkins has 2 games to shine or I pray he saved much of that hard earned money he rec'd over the past 3 years.

A starting NFL wide receiver should make that sideline catch and get both feet inbounds (at least he should attempt to get both feet inbounds - which he didn't do). If Jacobs can't do this, then why are we expecting to ever be a quality WR?

I mean seriously, do you think Santana Moss would make that catch?

James Thrash?

Gary Clark?

Ricky Sanders?

Laverneues Coles?

Henry Ellard?

Even-

James Thrash?

Michael Westbrook?

50/50?

Answer: of course they would - they are starting NFL wide receivers, past and present. I can't imagine any of these receivers not being able to make that catch.

Yes, it was a poor to mediocre throw by Brunell, but a true NFL starting receiver makes that catch. Taylor Jacobs at this point does not seem like a starting NFL receiver. I hope he improves and proves me wrong.

:helmet:

for all you haters.... answer this puzzle

how can a WR produce numbers if he isn't thrown the ball?

past 2 games, 2 passes thrown, 1 reception.

You could use that same argument to say that Farris should be the #2 wideout. :doh:

The point is that Jacobs doesn't get the ball thrown to him because Brunell and the coaches don't believe he can make plays. If Gibbs believed that Jacobs was some kind of game changer, wouldn't you call plays designed specifically to go to him?...especially given the fact that Moss is always double covered and Jacobs has single coverage on him?

I do agree that Jacobs isn't going to get many balls thrown to him because Brunell checks down often to Cooley, Royal, Sellers and Portis. But obviously, Jacobs isn't a big part of this offense because the coaches don't calls plays for him.

for all you haters.... answer this puzzle

how can a WR produce numbers if he isn't thrown the ball?

past 2 games, 2 passes thrown, 1 reception.

1. Stop dropping the ball

2. Stay healthy

3. Get open

4. Consider running correct routes

5. Use the jedi mind trick on the QB to persuade him you don't suck

6. Get your feet down inbounds

7. Along the same lines of stop dropping the ball - consider catching the ball

8. Earn the confidence of your QB off the field

9. Take advantage of your opportunities

10. Be embarrassed that H backs, runningbacks, fullbacks and a TE are showing you up.

The reason Royal still gets passes thrown to him despite his problems with dropsies are BECAUSE Brunell checks down or prefers throwing short, not because those receivers are particularly good.

And Royal isn't bad, but the point is, anyone could line up at TE and Brunell would throw them the ball. He will not throw downfield except to Moss, even if the other guy is more open than Moss is.

For instance that deep ball, Moss was covered until the ball was well in the air. Part of that is Brunell trusting Moss to make a play on it, the other part of it is Brunell is afraid to throw to anyone else with anything resembling regularity.

Hell he throws it up when Moss is involved, but even when the other WRs are open it takes an often lot for him to go their way.

Doesn't logically follow that any QB would choose to throw or not to throw a receiver the ball based upon the position they play. If we carried what you stated to it's conclusion, it is reasonable to say that Brunell wouldn't throw to Jacobs even if he was wide open - and surely someone in the broadcast booth or some random reporter would pull Gibbs up and say, "hey, you know that Jacobs is always open and Brunell never looks his way"? I seriously doubt that. I was at the game Sunday, and dude has no separation. Stop making excuses.....

1. Stop dropping the ball

2. Stay healthy

3. Get open

4. Consider running correct routes

5. Use the jedi mind trick on the QB to persuade him you don't suck

6. Get your feet down inbounds

7. Along the same lines of stop dropping the ball - consider catching the ball

8. Earn the confidence of your QB off the field

9. Take advantage of your opportunities

10. Be embarrassed that H backs, runningbacks, fullbacks and a TE are showing you up.

you didn't answer the question, but I will shoot down you answers anyway

1. :wtf: he has caught every catchable ball but one thrown his way. he has missed only 2 catchable balls thrown to him all season.

2. He has all season, sinces returning the last week of training camp and has played more this year, playing about 75% of the plays the past 5 weeks

3. He does all the time according to many reliable sources, and including Sonny J on the Radio broadcasts.

4. wrong again, Gibbs constantly praises his route running, saying he is one of the best on the team

5. He doesn't so no need

6. Make the QB throw the ball inbounds, when he had no pressure, and your WR was wide open. And BTW he did have two feet down, but missed time lifting his foot, a hair before having possesion of the ball. Moss stepped out on his side line pass, and has missed a few... but he has more oppurtunities to catch the ball.

7. No he is thinking about eating dinner... :rolleyes:

8. How? according to players he is the best WR in practice, and he like Brunell has a strong Christian faith, and simular interests.

9. Have to have some first

10. Again... how can he be shown up if he doesn't get the oppurtunities???? He can't... plain and simple... and he is doing everything a wide receiver is expected to do... run his routes, block, play special teams

again... it is just hate, because he doesn't have the stats... but with the passes, he xcan't get the "stats"

Doesn't logically follow that any QB would choose to throw or not to throw a receiver the ball based upon the position they play. If we carried what you stated to it's conclusion, it is reasonable to say that Brunell wouldn't throw to Jacobs even if he was wide open - and surely someone in the broadcast booth or some random reporter would pull Gibbs up and say, "hey, you know that Jacobs is always open and Brunell never looks his way"? I seriously doubt that. I was at the game Sunday, and dude has no separation. Stop making excuses.....

they have, and Gibbs said we need to get him the ball more, but Brunell doesn't do it.

Funny others who attend the games say, Jacobs does get open. Sonny on the Radio has said Jacobs is open, and the times the ball is thrown at jacobs.. he is almost always WIDE open... like Sunday, he left the poke db, looking for him.

exactly a good receiver knows where hes at and will make sure he has both feet in when he makes the catch that is one of the basics of football make sure your feet are in when your close to the sideline receivers practice that. personally Jacobs has had long enough to prove something and hes done nothing.His stay here is long over due

By that logic, we should cut Moss for stepping out of bounds before making that one catch yesterday. :doh:

Really, it is disappointing that we aren't seeing more out of Jacobs, really, a lot of it is beyond his control. The one time he was given an opportunity, he produced (the SD game, with 4 catches for 44 yards.) In all the others, he was barely looked at.

Really, you have to look at the design of the offense and at Brunell. The passing game is definitly designed for short passes, with lots of YAC, and heavy use of the TE and H-Back. Also, it is obvious from Brunell's total tenure here that he much rather throw short passes. It seems like most times when he has the option, he will take the short option. Not exactly a formula for production out of the WRs. Moss is probably an exception, because he's very good at making people miss.

I really wonder if we'd be saying these things about Jacobs if someone with a stronger arm was playing QB.

Jason

they have, and Gibbs said we need to get him the ball more, but Brunell doesn't do it.

Funny others who attend the games say, Jacobs does get open. Sonny on the Radio has said Jacobs is open, and the times the ball is thrown at jacobs.. he is almost always WIDE open... like Sunday, he left the poke db, looking for him.

So then you are saying that Jacobs gets open, but Brunell chooses not to throw him the ball? If that is the case, then Gibbs must be OK with it, or then you'll have to tell me that Gibbs knows that a receiver is open, but does not call plays designed for him to get the ball...or that Brunell seems to do fairly well getting the ball to other WRs, but not Jacobs...or that a HOF coach can't think of how to design a play that gets Jacobs open...or any myriad of excuses of why Jacobs has never seemingly shown up at game time on Sunday when he gets his opportunity.

I, for one, saw him pretty much covered all game on Sunday minus a couple of occasions - so perhaps it was the Coors Light, but I didn't see him running free in pass patterns where he just wasn't thrown the ball.

Jacobs is wide open week after week. The coaches and Brunell see it on film and just continue to ignore him out of some peverse desire not to give Taylor any share of the glory on offense :laugh:

Either that or they are 'saving' Taylor Jacobs for the Giants and/or a potential playoff matchup down the road :)

Yeah, and there is a little ole bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you................

I just don't get it, bulldog. No one would love to see Jacobs have a monster day than me - or even develop some consistancy while he has an opportunity. Jacobs has not panned out this far, and is on the road to being a bust traveling in the left lane.

Here's to hoping he'll prove me wrong...but I doubt it. :cheers:

Archived