Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts On Taylor Jacobs

scrol14

So then you are saying that Jacobs gets open, but Brunell chooses not to throw him the ball?

Or, Brunell isn't looking for him, or Brunell doesn't feel like he has the arm strength to get him the ball, or he feels he has a better option.

There are many reasons why Brunell may not look to him as an option.

And as a note, Moss wasn't all that open either yesterday.

Jason

let's face the truth. Taylor Jacobs has stayed on the team largely out of respect for his college production and his high draft position. If this had been anyone else, an undrafted free agent for example, who alternately got hurt and then showed little on the field whe healthy, he would have been cut by now.

Jacobs is beginning to remind me of Rod Gardner near the end. A guy that some people believed Gibbs was short-changing and who thought would go on to be a star somewhere else.

Gardner went to Carolina and didn't become a star, instead he got cut.

I think Jacobs is the same kind of marginal NFL player at this point.

I have seen some negativity towards his role as the #2 receiver and I don't know how fair we are actually being towards him.

He had 1 ball thrown to him which could have been a catch in bounds, but Brunell could have made a better pass. Brunell threw it a little late

We are not a run and gun offense and I STILL think Jacobs will be a good possession receiver, Moss only caught 2 balls!

Does everyone think we can give a fair evaluation of a receiver when he only get 1 ball thrown to him?????

Who!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This guy isn't even being noticed when we play... We need Brown in there IMO.

I remember 2 years ago there was this dude (who shall remain nameless) on another board (which shall remain nameless) who's favorite gripe/claim was "Betts is a bust". He repeated it like some kind of holy mantra. He claimed it was obvious and that if you did not agree you were an idiot.

I remember last year we all thought Brunell was done. Toast. Finnished. Washed up. It was obvious.

Never discount players that have the support of coaches and team mates. They usually know a hell of a lot more than you and me.

:2cents:

you can't look at taylor jacobs and expect to see a superstar. That's what the salary cap does. We can't have high dollar guys like Arrington, Washington, and Springs on the defense, and guys like Jansen, Samuels, Moss, Portis, and Brunell on Offense, there's just no money left to get another awesome WR.

Now you take Moss's stats, throw in an H-back with 725 yards and 65 catches, and remember that it's still just mark brunell throweing him the ball, and there's just no room left on this team for a 2nd WR that we can always depend on. At least not a young one that you can get the optimal amount of touches to to ensure proper development. Patten will help him.

I went to UF when Jacobs was there, so my view is slanted, but i think if he could not be so scared sometimes, and we could get him some more live balls where he doesn't have a linebacker or safety about ot kill him, he could develop into a decent 2nd wideout, and a good compliment to moss. He's been in the league less than 5 years, you can't kick him in the crotch just yet, he deserves a fair shake just like you or me.

Uh, Moss had at least 2 people with eyes on him almost all day, but still found a way to get open. Jacobs did not....

Only because he made some outstanding plays to get those two catches. There are only a small percentage of WRs who would have made those plays, and Brunell would only try them because he knows Moss will make those sort of plays.

It seems to me that the thinking is, if Jacobs can't make those plays, he must suck. By that standard, most receivers wouldn't make the grade. The standard is way too high.

Course, Jacobs is being derided here because Brunell isn't throwing to him, but when you have things that seem to be working, why change it? Running the ball and throwing to the TE, backs and H-Back was working once we opened up a lead. Why change things because some receivers haven't gotten a whole lot of catches? As I said, the design of the offense and Brunell's tendencies isn't to the benefit of most of the WR corp, no matter how good they are. Hell, they didn't throw to Patton much when he was in there either.

Jason

I will say it as plainly as can be said. Any person who blames Jacobs for that incompletion, and says MB did not make a horrendous throw is a freakin moron.

HE WAS WIDE OPEN. The only spot on the field MB could have thrown the ball to him and make it uncatchable, he threw it to. ANY PLACE ELSE thats a completion.

MB had 163 yards in another poor showing. Missing wide open recievers. Where did his 163 yards come from? 51 on an INCREDIBLE catch by Moss. All moss. 30 more on a moss screen. MBs pass was almost picked. 20 more on a cooley screen. 30 more on a cooley 5 yard catch, 25 YAC play. ALL plays made by the reciever completely. Thats almost all of MBs yardage in the game.

Please, spare us the "Jacobs is a poor reciever" routine, because you are a freakin moron.

How many drops does Jacobs have this year? Thankyou.

I will say it as plainly as can be said. Any person who blames Jacobs for that incompletion, and says MB did not make a horrendous throw is a freakin moron.

HE WAS WIDE OPEN. The only spot on the field MB could have thrown the ball to him and make it uncatchable, he threw it to. ANY PLACE ELSE thats a completion.

MB had 163 yards in another poor showing. Missing wide open recievers. Where did his 163 yards come from? 51 on an INCREDIBLE catch by Moss. All moss. 30 more on a moss screen. MBs pass was almost picked. 20 more on a cooley screen. 30 more on a cooley 5 yard catch, 25 YAC play. ALL plays made by the reciever completely. Thats almost all of MBs yardage in the game.

Please, spare us the "Jacobs is a poor reciever" routine, because you are a freakin moron.

I think you have an agenda against Mark Brunell. This post is garbage. :mad:

I have been pretty outspoken on Jacobs in the past, but I kept at bay for most of this one. Two reasons for that: 1) we looked great on sunday and i don't care if Jacobs doesnt catch a ball if we win like that every week; and 2) i think this is a closed conversation. Jacobs doesnt get it done. He's not a respectable number 2. He gets about one catch a game, and apparently sometimes it's for negative yardarge.

Look, it doesnt matter if we run the ball like that and play great defense. but, this guy can't play. and blaming brunell, the offense, and anything else is just silly at this point. It's time to move on. Hopefully, we sign a wr in the offseason, Patten slides to number three, and Jacobs goes back to where he belongs as the number 4 guy.

In the biggest game of the year Taylor Jacobs made NO ATTEMPT to drag his toe. That is a slap in the face of your QB, it was obvious that TJ had no desire to eat dirt to make that catch. You HAVE to make that catch anyboby that thinks other wise has no idea what a WR's job is. It is a matter of effort and TJ gave the bare minimum, even if he would have dropped it while falling out of bounds it would have showed effort and built trust with Brunell, but the fact is he sold Brunell out on that throw and he deserves to be benched when Thrash is healthy, which appears to be this week.

Anyboby that thinks Gibbs, MB, Musgrave, and every other offensive coach is seeing a wide open TJ and not making an effort to get him the ball need to make a pit stop into the world of reality. Just because you think he's open doesn't mean he's open. Until Gibbs and Brunell come out and say TJ is running free all day we just need to remember to throw it to him, then you guys have no platform for an argument, unless of course you think Gibbs and MB have no clue as to what is going on out there, I'm sure you all will feel the same when we are 10-6.

:gaintsuck :eaglesuck :dallasuck

I have seen some negativity towards his role as the #2 receiver and I don't know how fair we are actually being towards him.

He had 1 ball thrown to him which could have been a catch in bounds, but Brunell could have made a better pass. Brunell threw it a little late

We are not a run and gun offense and I STILL think Jacobs will be a good possession receiver, Moss only caught 2 balls!

Does everyone think we can give a fair evaluation of a receiver when he only get 1 ball thrown to him?????

When he's not open to warrant any more balls being thrown to him...Sure we can.

Archived