Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Special Team

Chants

"This team is special," Gibbs said. "We have a great chemistry. Obviously, we have talent. We're getting there. We're building something. You start to see some signs of a Redskins team that is going to be good this year and in years to come."

Indeed. This team is special. Joe Gibbs deserves a lot of the credit. So does every single member on the team. And so do the fans.

Gibbs has put his indelible imprint on this team. He tore down what Spurrier, Schottenheimer, and Turner had built and slowly, methodically constructed a team based on the very simple "Three Musketeers" principle of "all for one and one for all." I am convinced that Spurrier, Schott, and Turner understood the need for a team to act like a team, but for whatever reason, be it an inablility to control the players, endear themselves to the players, or misplaced priorities, they were unable to do it. Gibbs has done it.

I don't know exactly how Gibbs created strong team spirit, but I will speculate. To Gibbs, it is clear that no one man is more important than another. Was Arrington benched to make this statement? I think so. Was Ramsey benched to make this statement? No. But that statement was made all the same. And Ramsey, very much to his credit, made that statement loudly and clearly in the humble yet noble way that he handled it. So did Arrington, eventually, much to his credit as well.

The other thing that helped build this strong team spirit is the uniforms, those all white ones. Gibbs changed the uniforms in his first tenure. They were burgundy and gold. He made them burgundy and white. Now he has changed them to white and white. By changing the uniforms, Gibbs is making another statement, visually: The old team is gone, and along with it anything that held it back is gone. This is a new team. This is a special team.

Gibbs also built a strong team spirit by example, his own hard work ethic. His own quiet dignity. His own character, simple yet strong. Players see this serenity and perseverence, and they emulate it. But I do not believe that Gibbs is perfect. I am sure he breaks character. I am certain he makes mistakes. But when he does, he owns up to it. He doesn't blame others. He learns from them. And, in turn, so do the players.

The players, all of them, deserve a lot of the credit for building this new Redskins team. I already singled out Ramsey and Arrington. Rock fumbled during the Chiefs game. That fumble could have cost us the game, and perhaps it did. But he went right back in there and executed under a degree of psychological pressure lesser atheletes maight not be able to endure. Portis, perhaps the most flamboyant Redskin, is lunch-pail Joe on the field every week, never complains, and shares the load. All postgame locker room footage I have seen this year has revealed a team that genuinely likes and respects each and every member. Every member of this team deserves a paragraph describing just how important he his to the team. Unfortunately, I do not have time.

To give an example of how strong and how real this team is, try this exercise. Try to imagine a Redskin yelling at another the way Keyshawn did yesterday. Doesn't compute, does it? A Redskin would not do that. Try to picture a player fighting another in the Redskins locker room, the way TO did in Philiadelphia. Do you see that malcontent winding up on IR? I do.

Then there are the fans. I think we lost something when we left RFK. Or, to be more precise, we failed to carry the spirit that rocked that stadium over to FedEx. Perhaps that was meant to be. The ghosts and spirits of a sports arena are fickle and, perhaps, like a spirit haunting a house, reluctant to leave.

That's over now. This year is the first year where I sensed that FedEx is a hellish place for a visiting team to play. The fans get all the credit for this punishing atmosphere. The spirit of RFK may remain entomed in that legendary arena. But the fans have summoned a new spirit in FedEx. That stadium rocks now. It makes a lot of noise now. It is as though 90,000 people are channeling the insane, frothing, and bloodthirsty denizens of the ancient Roman Coliseum.

This new Redskins team is product of a perfect storm of respect. The players respect the coaches; the coaches respect the team; the coaches and the team respect the fans. And the fans love and respect their team. Put all that respect in a gigantic, newly haunted stadium packed to capacity, and you get -- well, you all saw what you get yesterday against the Cowboys.

I think you sentiment can be summed up by the fact that players, the coaches and the fans were all shouting "Randy" as Randy Thomas exited FedEx on the stretcher. [Admittedly, some such players and/or coaches may not have been as vehement as the fans on the 400 level, but the support and fervor was there, nonetheless.] It was clear that instilled in this enormous man was the same love of the game and of the team that runs through all of us and that same feeling was reflected by all who were there.

We're back.

For whatever reason, the song "The Boys Are Back in Town" from 48 Hours has been playing on repeat in my head ever since the game.

It's a great time to be a 'Skins fan.

What can I say Nick, my association of that song with Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy and that bar is no match for the real band...:)

Good point.

Maybe it's just fear or nightmares of Nick Nolte's mugshot keeping me from thinking of the Bus Boys or something... :laugh:

There's been absolutely nothing that isn't great about the vibe since the win. Including every post I've read since no matter what "type" of post it was. It's great to feel great :laugh:

And we started playing Thin Lizzy and Survivor (don't ask :laugh: ) and dancing (ok, still cautiously in the back of my mind ;) ) at the halftime break instead of watching the show. Wonder if its an extreme-skin connection?

This new Redskins team is product of a perfect storm of respect. The players respect the coaches; the coaches respect the team; the coaches and the team respect the fans. And the fans love and respect their team. Put all that respect in a gigantic, newly haunted stadium packed to capacity, and you get -- well, you all saw what you get yesterday against the Cowboys.

Along the same vein:

It's Week 15. Has anyone heard a word about Dan Snyder lately? Is he demanding this player start, or that one be cut? Is he yelling at his front office people? Heck, was there even a shot of him in his box this week? This is the time of year that Dan Snyder typically becomes the most talked about man on the team. But this year he's the invisible man. And in a good way.

You know why? Because this is a Gibbs team. Because this team demands respect, from itself and from others. And this team includes Dan Snyder.

Along the same vein:

It's Week 15. Has anyone heard a word about Dan Snyder lately? Is he demanding this player start, or that one be cut? Is he yelling at his front office people? Heck, was there even a shot of him in his box this week? This is the time of year that Dan Snyder typically becomes the most talked about man on the team. But this year he's the invisible man. And in a good way.

You know why? Because this is a Gibbs team. Because this team demands respect, from itself and from others. And this team includes Dan Snyder.

Excellent point, Henry. Stability and steadiness, Gibbs be thy name, and the Danny be thy paycheck.

Thank you, zoony. I see you are a loyal, out-of-state fan just like I am. If you're like me, your heart grows when you see the fans in the stands really give it up for the team.

But I was serious about Dan Snyder. I think he has done some very productive things to motivate the fans. He has also removed himself from the spotlight. I did not think much of Mr. Snyder a couple of years ago. Now I think he is going to be one of the best owners in the league. He's either grown, or I have.

Anyway, here is to you, to all out of state fans, and to the fans in the stands.

Along the same vein:

Good Point. Jerry Jones, on the other hand, is all about the limelight. He's always in the media here in enemy country.

Thank you, zoony. I see you are a loyal, out-of-state fan just like I am. If you're like me, your heart grows when you see the fans in the stands really give it up for the team.

But I was serious about Dan Snyder. I think he has done some very productive things to motivate the fans. He has also removed himself from the spotlight. I did not think much of Mr. Snyder a couple of years ago. Now I think he is going to be one of the best owners in the league. He's either grown, or I have.

Anyway, here is to you, to all out of state fans, and to the fans in the stands.

just bustin on you a little... I'm not a big Snyder fan. :) But he did get Gibbs, so I will have to play nice when his name comes up. :)

As for the out of state fans part... I'll drink to that :cheers:

Archived