Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone see Munich...

halter91

• 3 weeks later...

It was a very, very good movie. A little long, but I thought it did a good job of illustrating the nature of vengence. Eric Bana gave a really outstanding performance. All in all--it was obviously a powerful picture, but in my opinion, like most of Spielberg's movies, a little done up for me.

I'm going to wait until cable or something. Looks interesting enough and I love Ciaran Hinds (Caesar in HBO's Rome) and I like Bana too, I guess, but I don't want to go see something that requires a moral clarity where the left-wing screenwriter(and I'm not inventing that, it's well-known) who has called Israel a "calamity" for the Jewish people gets to convey his point of view.

yeah, it was decent. it was interessting the way it went down, the traps they set. i think its worth seeing.

Problem is, the movie has nothing to do with the way things really went down.

If you're looking for facts - :nono:

If you're looking for Hollywood fiction - ok

If you're looking for the moral of Spielberg's take - violence begets violence begets more violence. Should have left the terrorists alone, and then maybe 9/11 wouldn't have happened. I know It's stretching it, but the final scene does pretty much suggest exactly that.

It looks good. Im just wondering how long before Spielberg runs out of Jewish related films. I need a Jurassic Park 4.

Jewrassic Park isn't about Jews?

An incredible, if historically innaccurate film.

I just came back from seeing it though scenes from the film will likely permeate my thoughts for weeks to come.

What struck me the most was how close the movie felt. I don't know if all American Jews, especially those with family in Israel, connected to the film in the way I did but Munich did more than make me live vicariously through the characters, I felt as though I were one. Maybe that's because if I were to live in Israel, I would have served in the Army--maybe even in the Mossad.

The plot, if you haven't read about the movie already, focuses on the Munich Olympic Games when Black September (a terrorist organization) kidnapped and murdered Israeli athletes. That part is not in dispute. What is in dispute is the manner in which the film portrays the Israeli reaction to the Munich Games. I don't know enough about these events to provide any kind of definitive account, but as you've read in this thread, and you'll read elsewhere on the net, it's not clear how Israel actually did react to the Munich Games.

The movie follows one Mossad agent and his band of four brothers in arms (who, by the way, are the most diverse collection of Jews I've seen and actually an accurate representation of Jewry in the world--unlike the traditional portrayals in movies). The scenes the group's descent into the world of assasins; they are given only oral approval and orders from Golda Mayer, but never provided with any specific connections to the Israeli government. The story moves forward without a break and there's never a moment, with the exception of a few lines to do with the need for receipts, that lets the audience relax. As the men move closer to their goal, so do they move closer to their own instability and madness. Divisions arise as to the moral implications of their moves...and so it goes.

I go into this degree of detail only that for some, and maybe for all, this movie is not a traditional spy v. spy--Bourne Idenity--kind of movie. It's a brooding, emotionally charged tale of loss of sanity, morality, righteousness and clarity.

You won't soon forget it.

It is a good movie that is worth watching, the only problem I had with it was that it didn't really have a conclusion, maybe it was meant to be that way.

Right. There is no conclusion, because the violence is continuing today. That scene was so powerful, when he was like "We killed these men only for them to be replaced."

By not putting a distinct ending on it, it just shows how all that violence accomplished nothign but revenge.

And i like that, because its so true.

GREAT movie, by the way.

It looks good. Im just wondering how long before Spielberg runs out of Jewish related films. I need a Jurassic Park 4.

He did Schindler's List 13 years ago and this one. That's two whole Jewish movies. Unless ET was Jewish I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

Oh, and Jurassic Park IV is in pre-production. :)

here is the TRUTH.

the TRUTH is that this movie has almost nothing to do with the REAL mission to wipe out Black September. Even the beginning of the movie says "inspired by real events"!!

in TRUTH, it was not one Mossad squad but many squads. there was none of that receipt garbage, the one way an actual member of the teams was caught was by a receipt!!

Israelis for the most part detest this movie- because it does make it seem like it is about vengeance. it is morally oblique, there are no good or bad- just everyone kills everyone else.

do we hunt Al-Queda out of vengeance in 2006? or do we hunt them to STOP FUTURE ATTACKS?! Spielberg literally believes in talking "until we are blue in the face". that is his leftist worldview, that the PLO and the Israelis just need to start talking and then they can solve the problems of the Middle East. it is so far into fantasy it is not funny.

you can pull up tons of articles going into the myriad problems with this movie..

At the time I saw Munich, I thought it was no more than pretty good, that it was about 20 minutes or so too long. The more I think back on it though, the more I like it. I still think the ending drags too much though. It's definitely an interesting movie (despite it's alleged historical inaccuracies, which I know nothing about) and worth seeing. Normally I don't really care a whole lot for movies that are supposed to make you think, but this was one that I liked. I didn't mind that it was a leftist message, it was good because it was more analyzing the necessity or effectiveness of retaliation and vengeance, and not a 'Blame the West' message. Spielberg did a very good job with it, and I thought the acting was great.

As a movie, it was very good. Not great like Schindlers list, but very good.

As a historical piece, it was complete fiction. Unfortunately, most people will see it and think "Spielberg made Schindlers list accurately, this must be as well." Where, in fact, it is nowhere CLOSE to reality.

Speilberg does a great job of making his point that volence begets violence, even though I disagree. But at times it seemed a bit too preachy.

Definitely worth seeing. The acting and cinematography are excellent.

here is the TRUTH.

in TRUTH, it was not one Mossad squad but many squads. there was none of that receipt garbage, the one way an actual member of the teams was caught was by a receipt!!

Israelis for the most part detest this movie- because it does make it seem like it is about vengeance. it is morally oblique, there are no good or bad- just everyone kills everyone else.

Thank you. Correct.

BTW, no one was caught.

There's also none of that dramatic "If you get caught we'll deny ever knowing you blah blah" BS in real life.

it was based on George Jonas 1984 book "Vengeance" and another lefty helped write the screenplay. (Tony Kushner is an anti-zionist).

anyway, it is basically a work of fiction (the CIA helps protect the PLO?) i agree great acting, great movie making. but it takes the arab position that the holocaust is the only reason for israel to exist-

with no mention of the fact there have been Jews living in Israel for 2,300 years continuously..

Archived