Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Ray Brown fast enough for the outside screens? (Merged x2)

NoCalMike

Well today during the game Aikman illustrated how valuable Randy Thomas is on those outside runs and screens, where once the ball is snapped he runs over to throw blocks. I am not worried about Ray Brown blocking from his set position, but I wonder if on a regular basis he can get over to the sideline fast enough.......

Does anyone remember how bad he was last yr? And guess what -- he is a yr OLDER now. I love the guy's heart and longevity.....but he is definately not the answer on a consistent basis.

He was playing Right Tackle last year, where his lack of foot quickness was exposed. Now he's playing Right Guard where he can better utilize his power. It isn't the end of the world, but it certainly hurts.

Does anyone remember how bad he was last yr? And guess what -- he is a yr OLDER now. I love the guy's heart and longevity.....but he is definately not the answer on a consistent basis.

Last year he was playing at RT. Now hes gonna be playing RG which is his natural position. It makes a big difference.

As far as the screens go, I'm sure theyll adjust.

They're not asking him to play out of position like last year. We will lose some quickness with those outside runs, but I do see them making adjustments to keep the running game going. Ray Brown is old, but he's still pretty strong, and at guard(where he's played mostly all of his career) he should be able to step in and hold the fort.

We will have to make some adjustments, but I think we'll be fine. The strength of the Giants D-line is on the outside, and we have Jansen and Samuels playing as good as they have all season. For the plays where Thomas used to pull to the outside, we'll have to rely more on Rabach, Sellers, Cooley, and Royal. We'll also probably call more plays where a tackle pulls rather than a guard. It will require some changes in the gameplan, but I don't think it will make a huge difference. We've rushed for 100 yards three weeks in a row, and Ray Brown is an experienced guard in this offense.

We now only have two reserve OLmen, Molinario, who is still raw, and Raymer the center, we need a reserve Gaurd!

who are we going to get? Call up a guy we already worked with, like Lenny Friedman, or one of the Practice squad guys in Ikechuku Ndukwe or Jon Alston? Or get one of the free agent guys to come in?

Here are some of the Free agents, the ones with no current team

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=OL&y=2005

My geuss of what will happen is that We will go in house, get Friedman or a PS guy

Brown played tackle last year. His normal position is guard.

He wasn't that bad as a Tackle, just not Jansen. As everyone else has already said, his natural position is Guard.

Doc Walker put it best this AM. If you were stuck had had to wrestle someone from that O-Line in a closet, the last one you'd choose would be Ray Brown. I don't see as many draw plays with the Pulling Guard like we do with Thomas, but I may also be surprised and Brown may have more gas in the tank than we know. We can definitely expect some plays straight up the gut, though... :helmet: :logo:

I wonder how many people lamenting Thomas' loss, and it is a bad loss, have called him overrated or a weak link at one time or another.

Lets not kid ourselves. Randy is a HUGE lose. Man just when the line was becoming one of the best in the league. Brown will be playing at his normal possition at RG so maybe the drop off will not be that great. What I am realy worried about is what happens if God forbid someone else goes down for a play or two. Who do we have then? Because last time I checked Samuels is not exactly 100% either.

He was way out of his league filling in at Tackle. Guard is different. Doc Walker said it best this morning on 980: Of all of the O-linemen, Ray Brown is the last guy you'd want to have to wrestle in a closet. There's a lot less space to work with for the interior linemen, so it doesn't require as much athleticism as it does sheer strength (which Ray still has).

Not as good as Thomas by any stretch, but he'll get the job done.

Gibb's already named a starter. The guy is 43 years old and said, " I can give 4, to 5 good games to the team." Hmmmm. If we make it to the playoffs and get through the first round, where does that leave us after that?

Well, if by some awesome sequence events we get that far, maybe Thomas would be good to go and all healed up.

Archived