Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis vs. Champ: Who Got the Better of the deal?

kingdaddy

This trade is shaping up to be a great deal for both teams from what I can tell. I know Denver got a 2nd round pick too, but, looking at it as Portis for Champ, both players have performed extremely well. Here's hoping Clinton really steps up this Sunday and next week to carry this team to the next level.

I think Portis is a great fill for us, at the time we needed a running back. Denver needed a defensive playmaker. Both teams have excelled with their new players. I'm happy that Portis is on pace to break Stephen Davis's record of 1408 yards...hey, if portis gets a couple 130+ yard games, he might even hit 1500.

Don't know who got the better deal because I don't keep up with the Broncos. I will say that we did not lose anything. Portis is more than I expected and I think there was no drop off when Springs took Baileys position. Besides...who was our feature back before Portis...Trung?

Dan

It's pretty close.

We got Portis and replaced Roland with Shawn Springs.

They got Roland and replaced Clinton with a variety of backs since they haven't been able to keep one guy healthy enough to carry the same load Clinton did for them.

I think both teams are happy but deep down, the Broncos are probably kicking themselves. They gave up a franchise runningback and are now stuck with a run by committee situation(they can't rely on one guy to be THE MAN) and got a very good corner but in this day and age with the rules being what they are, even very good or even franchise corners are not allowed to touch a receiver past 5 yards and so their effectiveness has been limited.

Instead of the trade, they could have made Clinton happy and give him a new contract and then kept Deltha O'Neal (NFL's leading intercepter) who has now blossomed into a top corner.

The Redskins had nobody of Clinton's obvious talent on the roster so we didn't have anybody to carry the load (don't even bring up Betts or Cartwright with a straight face) when the trade was made. Now we do.

I think bottom line.

Clinton Portis & Shawn Springs > Roland Bailey & Mike Anderson/Tatum Bell/Ron Dayne and the quickly cut Quentin Griffin(2004-remember how Bronco fans and some media apoligists said that Quentin Griffin would make the Broncos forget Clinton Portis :laugh: )

Slight edge-Redskins

I would have to say that it is a push at this juncture. The only reason I say this is because although we have the production out of Portis, the Broncos are getting comparable production outta Champ. I believe in the long run we will come out on top because CP will trounce NFL & team records. Future HOF = Clinton Portis.

This trade is shaping up to be a great deal for both teams from what I can tell. I know Denver got a 2nd round pick too, but, looking at it as Portis for Champ, both players have performed extremely well. Here's hoping Clinton really steps up this Sunday and next week to carry this team to the next level.

I think in the long term we got a better deal because Champ had already stated he did not want to play here and was gonna see what offers he could get in a free agent deal so basically all we gave up for Portis was a 2nd rounder.

:pimp:

Listen, I've been on Champ like alot of others have been, but the man's got like 8 picks this year, being injured for most of the year. Give credit where it's due.

good point ... but does he dress up in costumes every Thursday? :pimp:

...I didn't think so.

Advantage: Redskins :point2sky

:pimp:

good point ... but does he dress up in costumes every Thursday? :pimp:

...I didn't think so.

Advantage: Redskins :point2sky

CP is the man, and I'm glad we have him. But that doesn't mean you have to hate on Champ. I hated on him for a long time saying he was overrated, including when he was here, but the man has finally became the player he was supposed to be. He's having an awesome season.

But so is Portis :)

you have to consider salary in conjuction with this. If we kept Bailey we wouldn't have needed springs, but we also wouldn't have been able to afford to fill necessary holes at LB with Marcus Washington. Getting rid of Bailey in my mind benefits the Skins more than the Broncos.

Springs, Portis and Washington is > Bailey, Bell, Anderson and Dayne

you have to consider salary in conjuction with this. If we kept Bailey we wouldn't have needed springs, but we also wouldn't have been able to afford to fill necessary holes at LB with Marcus Washington. Getting rid of Bailey in my mind benefits the Skins more than the Broncos.

Springs, Portis and Washington is > Bailey, Bell, Anderson and Dayne

if we did't have portis we would draft like a rb that means, no SEAN TAYLOR i cant imagine life without taylor

so its like this bailey+tatum bell vs Portis Springs and Taylorrr!!!!!!!!!

Archived