Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Cop suspended over offensive videos

SkinsNut73

Ya think they would have learned from the 49ers and that video they produced earlier this year!! What's up with them San Franciscans? :)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/08/police.video.ap/index.html

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- An officer was suspended and others face discipline after making videos containing sexist, racist and homophobic material for an office Christmas party, officials said.

About 20 officers participated in creating or performing in the videos, Mayor Gavin Newsom and Police Chief Heather Fong said.

City officials said the videos, created as a spoof about life on the force, include a skit of a white police officer in a patrol car running over a black homeless woman. (Watch excerpts of the video -- 2:15)

"This is a dark day, an extremely dark day, in the history of the San Francisco Police Department," said Fong, who called the acts "egregious, shameful and despicable."

"It is shameful, it is offensive, it is sexist, it is homophobic and it is racist," Newsom said. "We're going to make sure that it ends, it ends immediately."

Cohen defending the video as satiric and blasted the police chief during an appearance on ABC's "Good Morning America" on Thursday.

"After the video was seen, now they're pulling race cards," Cohen said. "It was just made for us, so shame on her," he added, referring to Wong.

"We did this absolutely for morale purposes," Cohen explained. "We did it because there are some very fun and interesting characters at the station and we thought it would be fun to showcase and laugh at their idiosyncrasies and personalities."

His attorney, Daniel Horowitz, said Cohen wasn't informed he was suspended, and paperwork showed he had been moved to a file room.

Horowitz defended the videos as art, saying they contained self-analytical material that reflected how the community saw police.

"Maybe it is dumb, and if it is dumb, who is releasing this nationally?" the attorney said on KRON-TV. "The mayor and the police chief."

The department's internal affairs division launched an investigation after the videos were discovered on an officer's Web site. They have since been removed.

In one video, which spoofed the TV show "Charlie's Angels," three gun-toting police women in T-shirts and blue jeans report to a police captain, who sits behind a desk and suggestively licks his lips.

Through the rest of the clip, a street person, an apparent transvestite, and several others lick their lips in a similar manner and say, "Ohhh, captain."

Another video showed a lazy pair of officers who ignored several dispatches while reading the newspaper, napping in their cruiser and practicing martial arts in a parking lot.

When gunshots are reported, they race off with their lights flashing and siren wailing -- only to show up at a massage parlor the driver had spotted in a magazine ad.

Try this link:

http://www.kron.com/Global/story.asp?S=4216830

The online video quality is pretty poor, so I haven't been able to get a good feel for these videos.

So far, they seem pretty funny; but I haven't seen anything remotely offensive (which I imagine there must be for it to have gotten this reaction)

You gotta be careful these days as a public servant -- people are very sensitive to things like this.

Some of it is probably people (the filmmakers) being dumb; and some of it is probably people (those PO'ed) who like to get upset. :2cents:

Police officers running over homeless people - Priceless! :doh:

Oh lighten up. Seriously.

The video was done completely toungue-in-cheek, and it was a way for the police officers to laugh at themselves and let off a little steam.

Trust me... it is o.k. to have a sense of humor. I promise.

And even if you don't find it funny... Guess what?... it's none of your business anyways. The video was never intended to go beyond the precinct. The cops involved found it hilarious and they had a lot of fun making the video, and the fact that it was completely satirical has gone completely unmentioned by those who are 'offended' ( :jerk: )

What's next? An approval system onboard all of our Navy's ships where a panel decides what is tasteful in the way of humor among sailors? :rolleyes:

Nonsense.

I take it you've never been to an armed forces retirement party.

You are correct. But I dont see the relevance. I admittedly only know what has been reported about these videos. And it appears to be more than just letting off steam.

I could be wrong, as I said, I havent seen them.

By the way, more stuff is coming out.

A black officer on a leash eating out of a dog bowl.

An Asian officer wobbling around on a scooter or something, unable to drive straight.

I'm sure they were just trying to be funny, but really, it was just a stupid thing for these guys to be doing.

People poking fun at what goes on at work. Obviously, some officers have some issues with ofther members of the Department and how the Department responds to certain issues. Those officers decided to poke fun at those issues and the police chief didn't like it. Not the smartest thing to do.

Oh lighten up. Seriously.

The video was done completely toungue-in-cheek, and it was a way for the police officers to laugh at themselves and let off a little steam.

Trust me... it is o.k. to have a sense of humor. I promise.

"sexist, racist and homophobic material" - that sounds like GREAT Christmas Party material...

I wonder why this came out in the news? Could it be that someone WAS offended by this Larry the Cable Guy type humor?

No matter how inappropriate or offensive people are, there will always be some people who defend them, I guess.

"sexist, racist and homophobic material" - that sounds like GREAT Christmas Party material...

I wonder why this came out in the news? Could it be that someone WAS offended by this Larry the Cable Guy type humor?

No matter how inappropriate or offensive people are, there will always be some people who defend them, I guess.

Hows the view from up there on that high horse?

What else can we all change to ensure that we don't offend Joe Sick?

Maybe our soldiers should pay a $10 fine every time they utter a curse word. After all, it is offensive, and I'm sure your virgin ears couldn't handle something like that. :rolleyes:

Spare us the routine... this video is FOR the cops, it's not for you. If you don't like it, guess what, you were never supposed to see it. None of the cops are complaining. Someone got hold of the tape and it has now become a political football.

*edit*

it would be entirely different if cops in the precinct were coming out of the woodwork crying foul, or if the real world actions of the San Fran police dept somehow reflected what went on in the tape.

Yep. Too expensive for most people to raise kids here.

Who has money for kids when you pay 600K+ for a 850 sq ft condo?

As for the tape - as public servants - cops have to be especially careful as to how they act on and off the job. The making this video, while possible being a outlet for what they deal with day to day, is moronic. What did they think was going to happen - it never see the light of day?

IMHO, Stupid cops = bad public servants. The cops who made this video deserve the punishment - moreso for their stupidity of putting it to film in the 1st place.

Archived