Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help Out - Drink Iron City

Dan T.

Pittsburgh Brewing Files for Bankruptcy :(

AP

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051207/ap_on_bi_ge/brewery_bankruptcy

PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Brewing Co., the maker of Iron City Beer, filed for protection from creditors under federal bankruptcy regulations Wednesday after failing to pay $2.5 million in water and sewage bills.

Pittsburgh Brewing, which employs about 250 people, will continue to operate while under Chapter 11 protection, said company attorney Robert O. Lampl.

The company had defaulted on sewage treatment payments dating back to 1996 and had failed to pay current water and sewage bills — charges totaling about $2.5 million, said Holly Parada, a spokeswoman for the Pittsburgh Water & Sewer Authority.

On Monday, the authority issued a notice threatening to cut off water service if the company's obligations weren't met by the end of the day Tuesday. The bankruptcy filing prevents the agency from terminating water service, Parada said.

The filing in federal court in Pittsburgh shows Pittsburgh Brewing has estimated assets of less than $10 million and debts of less than $10 million.

The company has struggled to survive in recent years amid a declining beer market and tougher competition. It took the unusual step of trying to win a government bailout of its pension plan before seeking bankruptcy, and was awaiting a federal agency's decision on the matter.

The company, which also makes I.C. Light beer, had agreed with the water authority to pay off the charges in installments. After meeting some of its obligations, the company eventually fell behind in its payments.

"It was a buildup of some past debt, and even though the place is paying as it goes, it can't take on all the past debt on demand," Lampl said.

The outstanding charges include about $2.3 million in unpaid sewage treatment bills from 1996 to 2004 and roughly $200,000 in water and sewage costs for this year, Parada said.

___

On the Net:

Pittsburgh Brewing Co.: http://www.pittsburghbrewingco.com/

Can we do our part to keep the company afloat? :cheers::cheers:

I thought the Pennsylvania crowd drank Genesee??? Or is that just up-state PA?

Depends on where you live. Out west near Pittsburgh it's either Iron City or Rolling Rock. Around here it's Yuengling. I honestly don't know anyone who drinks Genesee.

Yuengling's the only one I can stand to drink, and that's if it's the only choice.

Depends on where you live. Out west near Pittsburgh it's either Iron City or Rolling Rock. Around here it's Yuengling. I honestly don't know anyone who drinks Genesee.

Yuengling's the only one I can stand to drink, and that's if it's the only choice.

My old man's a fan of Yuengling, I't actually pretty good. I guess the Genesee is just a Northern PA dring then. . .

My old man's a fan of Yuengling, I't actually pretty good. I guess the Genesee is just a Northern PA dring then. . .

Yuengling is very good beer. If it came from a small brewery that nobody has heard of, people would rage about it. But it's available like tapwater everywhere in PA, so people take it for granted.

It has a very smooth taste, and contrary to what 99.999% of American brewmasters think, you do not need to load a beer down with hops for it to have flavor. Quite the opposite, actually.

http://www.yuengling.com/

Yuengling is America's oldest brewery. They have a brewery in Florida so it is available to other parts of the country.

If you are ever in Pa and want a Yuengling Lager (the most popular) just tell the bartender "Lager" they'll know what you want. If you say Yuengling Lager, they'll assume you're a tourist.

bry speaks the truth. my dad stocks the fridge with yuengling for me every time my family travels back east. i can't wait for christmas!

as for iron city, never had it. genessee is horrible... never knew any part of PA was associated with genesee.

Archived