Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Fair Catch Kick!

H-O-G

Did anyone else watch this yesterday? They explained there is a rule in the NFL rulebook that if a player calls fair catch on a kickoff or punt the team that fair caught can send their kicker and a holder onto the field of the spot where the ball was fair caught and without any rushers or pressure the kicker can kick a field goal. This has only been done twice in the history of the NFL. Pretty intresting, discuss.

Also, I learned that at anypoint during a play, a player can do a "dropkick" drop the ball straight vertically down and kick it and if it goes through the upwrights....3 points.

Did anyone else watch this yesterday? They explained there is a rule in the NFL rulebook that if a player calls fair catch on a kickoff or punt the team that fair caught can send their kicker and a holder onto the field of the spot where the ball was fair caught and without any rushers or pressure the kicker can kick a field goal. This has only been done twice in the history of the NFL. Pretty intresting, discuss.

Also, I learned that at anypoint during a play, a player can do a "dropkick" drop the ball straight vertically down and kick it and if it goes through the upwrights....3 points.

By rule, a team can line up for a free kick after a fair catch. Madden talks about this rule a lot. Apparently, it was his dream as a coach to actually call this play, but never got the chance.

The drop kick hasn't been used probably since the '50s. My uncle apparently used to do it in high school quite regularly though.

The last known instance of the drop kick was during the filming of the original "The Longest Yard." It was an anachronism even then.

NFL Digest of Rules

Fair Catch Kick

After a fair catch, the receiving team has the option to put the ball in play by a snap or a fair catch kick (field goal attempt), with fair catch kick lines established ten yards apart. All general rules apply as for a field goal attempt from scrimmage. The clock starts when the ball is kicked. (No tee permitted.)

Check out this link also, if your interested:

Knowing NFL rules big help

I pretty sure the rule on this is if you fair catch a kickoff or punt you can place the ball at the spot and attempt a kick with no rush, thus a "Free Kick". The Redskins actually attempted to do this in a game in against dallas in the early 80s. I think it was the last game of the season and the skins would make the playoffs even with a loss unless the Bears won their game by 30+ points. Well the Bears won by 35 so we had to win or go home. The cowboys had taken the lead and with just a few seconds to play and we attempted get on the field to do a "Free Kick" the refs did not give us the time out and time expired. Even if we had lined up it would have been a kick of 55+ yards.

On a drop kick a player drops the ball and after it bounces it is kicked and if it goes through the uprights it is worth 3 points. I can't recall of an instance when this has been done in an NFL game. It was done in the original version of The Longest Yard. I remember that we used to fool around trying to do it at before practice back in high school and I think it was done in the early days of the NFL when the ball was more round like a soccer ball. The bounce of the oblong ball is too unreliable for teams to try it. :point2sky

I actually saw a free kick once, I think it was the Redskins v. the Cards back in the 70s (kick was no good). Drop kicks are hard to do with the funny shaped ball!

Since Football came from Rugby, alot of the rules carried over. Most have been removed, or just forgotten. Thats what the XFL actually did do. It brought all those old rules back. As for now, I have no idea. Drop kicks are hard to do, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is allowed, just never done.

Since Football came from Rugby, alot of the rules carried over. Most have been removed, or just forgotten. Thats what the XFL actually did do. It brought all those old rules back. As for now, I have no idea. Drop kicks are hard to do, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is allowed, just never done.

It's most definitely allowed.

The only NFL player I know who even thinks about this is Doug Flutie. Peter King did an article about Flutie a few years ago and Doug explained that he's always wanted to try a running dropkick during a game and practices it fairly regularly.

Of course, if he ever did it, the coach would likely cut him.

The problem is the shape of the ball. It's almost impossible to get a true drop.

It's most definitely allowed.

The only NFL player I know who even thinks about this is Doug Flutie. Peter King did an article about Flutie a few years ago and Doug explained that he's always wanted to try a running dropkick during a game and practices it fairly regularly.

Of course' date=' if he ever did it, the coach would likely cut him.

The problem is the shape of the ball. It's almost impossible to get a true drop.[/quote']

Yeah...never tried it with a football, but I drop kick a rugby ball all the time during practice. I'd love to see someone try it in a game...bring on a new dimension. It only takes one to do it in a game to remind people it's an option.

Peter King did an article about Flutie a few years ago and Doug explained that he's always wanted to try a running dropkick during a game and practices it fairly regularly.

If Peter Queen wrote it, it should be discounted immediately.

He only really knows about coffee, airports and high school field hockey.

Archived