Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Better Linebacker, LA or MW?

IrepDC

This is just a question out of curiosity. With all the crazy threads going on after the 3 str8 losses I need something to take my mind off my dissapointment. I wanted to know who people think is a better LB. I think that this will be a good debate. What do you all think?

Marcus Washington, he deflected the ball to cause that interception yesterday. Also he is almost ever out of position on a play, and can always deliver a knockout blow. Sometimes LaVar lets his emotions get to the best of him and he over pursues, no knock on LaVar though, as his goal line stand against Oakland showed he is an amazing player

I see that more people have voted for MW. I personally voted for MW also. I love both of these guys just because they're Redskins, LaVar always gives you that big play potential and Marcus gives you that consistant reliability. I gave the advantage to MW because he is better at the fundamentals and he makes fewer mistakes.

Marcus Washington hands down...........

and to tell you the truth im a little worried about you clowns out there thinking Lavar is even close to being on the same level.

I'm truly curious if anyone on this board has even stepped on a football field before and played the game. SLB (Washington) and WLB (Arrington) are two totally different positions. LA & MW are two totally different, yet excellent players, in their respective positions. Sometimes either can play defensive end and they both have gotten close to the QB w/ marcus getting closer 1.5 times more.

And if you're only looking at numbers to make this decision it's completely inapproporate. LA was injured/held out/hated on for 4 games and that's that. Marcus, before coming to Washington, was injury prone and hardly every played an entire season with the Colts. But when all said an done any coach will tell you versatility is the key. Guys that can play mulitple positions are more valuable. History has proven that LA is the more versatile: WLB, DE, DL, DB(against tight ends or the 5th WR).

I'm truly curious if anyone on this board has even stepped on a football field before and played the game. SLB (Washington) and WLB (Arrington) are two totally different positions. LA & MW are two totally different, yet excellent players, in their respective positions. Sometimes either can play defensive end and they both have gotten close to the QB w/ marcus getting closer 1.5 times more.

And if you're only looking at numbers to make this decision it's completely inapproporate. LA was injured/held out/hated on for 4 games and that's that. Marcus, before coming to Washington, was injury prone and hardly every played an entire season with the Colts. But when all said an done any coach will tell you versatility is the key. Guys that can play mulitple positions are more valuable. History has proven that LA is the more versatile: WLB, DE, DL, DB(against tight ends or the 5th WR).

-- Very valid point. I have played both positions in college and now in semi-pro. For those not quite sure about the vernacular you were using here is a crash course. The strong (or sam) backer finds the strong side of the formation (TE side in a one-TE set) and lines up there. This LB is usually bigger, more physical, as teams like to run the ball to their power side (due to the extra blocker @ TE). He must also be athletic enough to play pass coverage (usually on the TE or a RB releasing into the flat.)

-- The weak (or Will) LB is more of a speed guy. He lines up opposite the power side of a formation and is a lot more free to roam and make plays. He typically is more of a factor rushing the QB but also has more ground to cover in his pass drops (be it covering shallow 1/3's or flats in a zone) or man to man on a RB or sometimes even a slot WR.

-- As I've said, I have played both these positions (along with the middle (or Mike) LB and I can tell you that they are drastically different. I love Marcus Washington. I love all the things he brings to this team in terms of enthusiasm, leadership, and consistency. Still, if you are asking who is the better overall LB the answer is simple: It is Lavar because of his versatility and ability to play either position at an all-pro level.:gaintsuck

Whoever says lavar simply doesnt know squat about football or life.

Actually.. I can easily see where people would pick Lavar. Washington is hands down the better LB right now and in this scheme. He has better discipline and you can tell he has a knack of being able to study an opponent and figure things out on the field. Lavar seems to play more by gut and instinct. Lavar is probably the superior athlete and has a much better chance of making the big plays, but he still tends to overrun plays or bites on fakes.

But I think it'll be intresting to see them both next year. Now that Lavar is finally healthy and playing well in the system.. giving him a full, healthy training camp... the two of them are going to make a very intresting tandem next season!

Marcus appears to be at his peak performance level, but LaVar still has more upside potential to get even better. LaVar is a tad quicker, hits harder and he is also a better athlete. However, Marcus seems to be more disciplined right now. I love 'em both!

And G. Williams is nuts for sitting LaVar on 3rd downs!

Not really a fair question right now, I'm sure if you asked it once LA gets going (which I think he kinda has) it's alot closer. I just hope we have both next year.

But LaVar does overpursue and leave the cutback lane WIDE open all the time. It's true.

-- Very valid point. I have played both positions in college and now in semi-pro. For those not quite sure about the vernacular you were using here is a crash course. The strong (or sam) backer finds the strong side of the formation (TE side in a one-TE set) and lines up there. This LB is usually bigger, more physical, as teams like to run the ball to their power side (due to the extra blocker @ TE). He must also be athletic enough to play pass coverage (usually on the TE or a RB releasing into the flat.)

-- The weak (or Will) LB is more of a speed guy. He lines up opposite the power side of a formation and is a lot more free to roam and make plays. He typically is more of a factor rushing the QB but also has more ground to cover in his pass drops (be it covering shallow 1/3's or flats in a zone) or man to man on a RB or sometimes even a slot WR.

-- As I've said, I have played both these positions (along with the middle (or Mike) LB and I can tell you that they are drastically different. I love Marcus Washington. I love all the things he brings to this team in terms of enthusiasm, leadership, and consistency. Still, if you are asking who is the better overall LB the answer is simple: It is Lavar because of his versatility and ability to play either position at an all-pro level.:gaintsuck

You are a 100% correct. I have played a little football in my day as well. Being that I was a DT I played left DT, and that is usually where all of the power plays come you need that killer strong side backer, because the DT is going to take on double teams and pulls, so you need that Sam Backer to come in and clean up the mess.

Archived