Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill would put "God Bless America" on Alabama car tags

China

Bill would put "God Bless America" on Alabama car tags

By BOB JOHNSON

Associated Press Writer

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) -- The phrase "God Bless America" would be added to Alabama's already crowded license plates if a bill proposed by a state legislator becomes law.

State Rep. Steve Hurst, D-Munford, has prefiled a bill in the Alabama House that would require most Alabama car tags to include the phrase "God Bless America." Some specialty license plates and motorcycle tags would be exempt.

Hurst said he got the idea when the saw the words "God Bless America" on a specialty prisoner of war car tag.

"I thought why don't we do the same thing for all the tags in the state of Alabama. That will let all the people in America know that we are a Bible Belt state," Hurst said.

The phrase comes from the Irving Berlin song "God Bless America." The song was made famous by singer Kate Smith and since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks has replaced "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" as the tune most often sung during the seventh inning stretch of Major League Baseball games.

Hurst said "God Bless America" would not replace anything currently on Alabama car tags. State law requires that the phrase "Heart of Dixie" be on Alabama plates. "Heart of Dixie" historically appeared at the top of plates, but was moved to the bottom of the tag when former Gov. Don Siegelman had the plates redesigned and put "Stars Fell on Alabama," also a song title, at the top.

Hurst said he believes the plates could be designed so that there would be room for "God Bless America" without removing "Heart of Dixie" or "Stars Fell on Alabama." There have been efforts in recent years by some black lawmakers to remove "Heart of Dixie" from car tags because they view it as a reference to the segregated South.

"This ("God Bless America") doesn't have anything to do with anything already on the tag," Hurst said. "Here we are in the times of 9/11, times of war and terrorists. It's a time for the nation to pull together and I think this is something that reflects how the majority of Alabamians feel."

Carol Moore of Columbiana, president of the Atheist Law Center, said her organization would oppose Hurst's bill.

"It is entirely inappropriate to have it plastered over license plates. We have enough on license plates now that we don't need something else," Moore said. "We have a lot more serious problems in Alabama than what's on the license plates. We need to make sure our children in public schools can read what's already on the license plates."

Hurst's bill won't be the only measure introduced in the regular session, which begins in January, that calls for putting God's name in a public place.

Rep. Jimmy Martin, D-Clanton, said he plans to reintroduce a bill that would permit the posting of "In God We Trust" on classroom walls in Alabama public schools. Martin said he hasn't seen Hurst's bill, but likes the idea.

"The concept of 'God Bless America' sounds like a good idea," Martin said.

The bill to post "In God We Trust" on classroom walls has been introduced the last two years, but hasn't received final passage.

Martin said he believes putting the words on classroom walls will help restore discipline in schools.

"Anybody who recognizes God will be respectful of everyone," Martin said.

"I thought why don't we do the same thing for all the tags in the state of Alabama. That will let all the people in America know that we are a Bible Belt state," Hurst said.

"This ("God Bless America") doesn't have anything to do with anything already on the tag," Hurst said. "Here we are in the times of 9/11, times of war and terrorists. It's a time for the nation to pull together and I think this is something that reflects how the majority of Alabamians feel."

I'm glad he is not even pretending to hide what he is doing here.

He knows there is going to be a legal fight over this, and that is what he wants. He will get reelected for years because of the "anti-godless commies" stance he is so bravely espousing here.

Why not just put the truth. . . We in Alabama like our guns and our god, but you gays are not welcome down here :silly:

Yes, the democrats pander as well, and unfortunately you are going to se more of it in the next election cycle. The old follow the leader instead of be the leader yourself.

Archived