Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A history of disaster in THIS game. Put the kids to bed before you open this thread!!

kleese

I've been saying all week that the Eagles game this week is THAT game for the Redskins in 2005. I think the writing is on the wall that this is make or break type of game.

Let me define what I mean: If we lose, we are still "alive." As a matter of fact, we still totally control our own destiny. If we lose to the Eagles and rebound to beat the Bucs and Raiders, then we're 6-4 and in the thick of the race. So by NO means is the season "technically" over if we fall this Sunday night.

But every year, I think there are one or two games that define a season. What I mean by that is that there are certain games that mean MORE than just one win. IMO, if we lose Sunday we're going 8-8 this year. If we win, I think we're going 10-6 this year. See, I think this game will represent a TWO game swing and drastically change the look of the division.

If recent history is a measuring stick, we're in HUGE trouble this week.

Put the kids to bed, because here's a review/analysis of this madness that I think helps hammer home how important this game is for our hopes in 2005.

In the Norv/Marty/Spurrier years there were SEVERAL games that defined the season and kept us from succeeding, but I've picked out the very "cream" of the crop-- the ones that really kept us down.

1993: We stunk all year. No one game really made a difference. But I will say that the loss at Philly in week 3 in a heartbreaker really exposed us and made me think, "this never happened under Gibbs."

1994: Norv's first year, we were awful, same as 1993.

1995: Again, we went 6-10, so there really wasn't one game that did us in, but the Hail Mary loss at Denver in week three didn't help. And I was in attendance three weeks later when Philly beat us 37-34 in OT at the Vet-- that game pretty much sealed our fate.

1996: This is when the fun began. Blowing a 7-1 start to the season, there were a plethora of games that ruined us-- the Boomer Esiason 531 yard passing game surely didn't help, but nothing hurt more than our home loss in OT to the 49ers. We actually played very well that day and held a 16-9 lead late in the game. The 49ers fumbled a kick, and for one brief moment, the ball lay on the RFK turf, with our season in the balance. The 49ers recovered, drove for a TD, and won in OT. It remains one of the most painful losses in my regular season fan history. If we jump on that ball, we go to the playoffs.

1997: In honor of our 7-7 tie with the Giants, I'll call this on a tie as well-- both games against the Giants. Our Sunday night sister-kisser was one of the biggest debacles I've ever seen in my life. Talk about chances. This was a complete Norvitis meltdown in every sense. Totally embarrasing-- and yet somehow we still managed to give ourselves tons of chances to win--- and blew them all. We got a shot a reveng (and the NFC East title) a few weeks later in New York where we promptly got bashed, 30-10.

(as a side note, the Jets added insult to injury the last week of the season by blowing a game in Detroit-- had the Jets won, we would have gone to the playoffs).

1998: Miserable all year. The opening day loss to the Giants set the tone.

1999: We won the division and made it to the second round of the playoffs, so I won't complain too much. We did get lucky that the NFC had such a down year and our schedule was so soft. Our 6 losses actually came against the 6 decent teams we played. Had we beaten the Colts or Lions late in the year, we would have gotten a BYE in the first round and homefield in the second round. But like I said, can't complain too much about this one.

2000: Boy o boy, where to begin? It started when we laid an egg on MNF football against the Titans after a 6-2 start to the season. It contiunued the next week when we embarrased ourselves at Arizona. But the real hammer and nails came against-- guess who? The Giants and Eagles. In back to back weeks, those two teams came in to DC and ripped the life out of our team. I'll go with the Philly game as the bigger heartbreaker, because if we win that one, we almost certainly play better the next week against the Giants. A home game against Philly? Sound familiar.

2001: Easy. At home. Dallas. 5-5, 5 game winning streak. Dallas STUNK in 2001. We win that game, we write a ticket to the post-season and write ourselves into the history books as one of the great all time turnaround stories. But we lost. Champ got burned by the Rocket and our season wilted at home against our rivals. The Eagles officially extinguished our hopes two weeks later.

2002: Spurrier's first year, no game really killed us this year.

2003: At 4-5, we had a chance to get back on track for the season with a win at Carolina. We rallied to take a 17-13 lead and Carolina faced 4th and 1 in their own territory. Jeremiah Trotter got out of position, Stephen Davis caught a swing pass, and the rest is history. Season over. Spurrier era over.

2004: Gibbs' first year back-- again, no one game did us in last year.

So there you have it-- we're a big 0'fer in all of these "swing" games. It's ugly folks, and that's why I have a sinking feeling about this Sunday night contest. I simply can't separate this team from the failures of the past-- only one way that will change-- a win. They helped change the culture with our win in Dallas this year, now we need to do it against another division nemesis. Don't you think it's about time?

I'd dispute the two games you have for Spurrier. In his first year, the loss to a flailing Jaguars squad in week 9 - we were 4-4, they were 3-5 - where Spurrier had the QBs throwing it up on every play was the truly heartbreaking game. And in his second year, the loss to a horrid Buffalo team before the Bye after a 3-3 start just sucked the life out of the team.

Good listing though.

BD

Jeez you put alot a time into that one.

We can all look back and find one thing that will sway a game or season that will satisfy our own bleak look at the team for the year. I dont get that deep.

I look at it like I would look at myself. If I got the crap beat me out one weekend and had a chance to redeem myself in my yard the next week, Id make dam sure I was ready.

I have to disagree with the 2004 season. First round Giants and Dallas game, second Philly game.

If Brunell didn't get hurt at the Giants game we win it. I just don't see him throwing the type of INTs that Ramsey threw and we had a chance to score at least 3 field goals if not for those INTs. We lost by 7 points, where our D just killed the Giants in the second half.

Then the Dallas game where the SAME SCUMBAG ref blew two calls that resulted in a 14 point swing. We win those two games and we are in the playoffs with a team that could have caused some damage.

the the Philly game where Ramsey just blew it by throwing an INT (reminded me of the Giants game) when he had 1st and 10 on the 24 yard line and a field goal would have tied the game. We win that one and we would be in the playoffs because no way we would have lost to Dallas IMO.

No, he's right. It's been a long time since we won a gut check game. Losing last week revealed this teams true character. But that can change if they come out with a little fire and some good technique and win sunday. Otherwise we are going down the same path that we have put up with for the last 12 years.

kleese -

i see your point. the redskins have lacked the ability to win the "big" games. but i also think you're probably ignoring some big games (that could just as easily have been labeled "swing" games) that we won. off the top of my head, i'm thinking of the 5-game win streak in 2001, where the redskins rebounded from an 0-5 start. i was at the game during that streak where marty/tony banks went up to the vet and beat philly. that was a huge game - extended their season. (as you pointed out, they ended up losing to dallas a few games later, but still...)

but your point is taken. I'm hoping this team can show that it can step up in big games.

Why do you only go back to '93?

Joe Gibbs is our coach now, not Turner/Schott/Spurrier.

Why don't you go back through GIBBS history in 'ERA 1' and study how many "swing games" we always pulled out with him at the helm.

That's all that matters now. You can't compare Gibbs NFL track record to those of, Turner or Spurrier and draw any rational conclusions.

Coach Gibbs will have the Redskins READY to play, in Washington, on Sunday night.

Will it be enough to beat the Eagles? I don't know, but these players will be ready.

Nice work.

I agree, this game is the biggest to date and will most likely create an extra win because of the momentum it would create. I'm a little more optimistic though because history also told us that Mark Brunell was done, that Santana Moss would be a bust, and that we'd never win in Dallas on MNF against a solid Parcells-coached squad. We also have a head coach who is better than the previous 3 coaches combined.

I think Philly is just one of those games every year we look forward to almost as much as Dallas. They've been a real good team over the past 5-6 years and we've pretty much stunk up the joint during that time. Each year the team and players have high hopes that we can beat them, but somehow we either get dismantled or find a way to lose.

If we can overcome adversity in a game like this, just as we did in Dallas, I think it could be such a boost for our team. The mental aspect of losing every year to Dallas and Philly is just haunting, and with Philly playing a little bit worse than normal this year, I think this is week could be our chance to move forward this season, as well as seasons to come.

We took care of business in Dallas and now its time to take care of things AT HOME vs. Philly.

Why do you only go back to '93?

Because that is when we developed our current identity, and like it or not, that identity will remain until we win some of these meaningfull games. Last week pretty much sums it up. That identity will remain regardless of who's coaching, playing, or supporting the team, until the do what it takes ON THE FIELD to change it. This weeks game is one of the biggest we've played in a while, simply because of the circumstances we find ourselves in.

Now if we go out and kick the living hell out of them, we may have turned the corner.

We have failed miserably in gut-check games since Gibbs left after the 1992 season. I can only think of two games that we won where it was a big game for both teams and we thought the season depended on the win...

1996: We start the season 7-1 and slip to 7-3 going up to Philly. We beat them at the Vet to run our record to 8-3 and put ourselves in great position to win the division or at least make the playoffs (since we still had games vs. the Cardinals). Granted, we found a way to blow that opportunity, but that win itself was impressive.

1999: We beat the Giants later in the year at home to secure ourselves atop the NFC East 23-13. We had blown them out earlier in the year and they were making a charge at us. But we played great, ran the ball, played good defense and won a HUGE game.

OK, the word is "Mediocre". I really don't want us to define/see ourselves as that AGAIN. Either stay 4-12 and end the season or go 13-3. That's my 2 cents and I am sticking to it. 10-6 or 8-8 doesn't really do us any good from that prospective, in my view.

:eaglesuck

Boy that was painful to read. I disagree on how fast you brushed over last year. I think the Eagles game at home was the game that did us in. If Ramsey doesn't throw that pick to Dawkins late in the game, we could have won. Beating the Eagles would have really sparked the team and possibly pushed us into the weak NFC playoff picture.

Good post.

Nice Thread Kleese.

Although I do believe the first Giants game last year set the tone for the next couple weeks with loses to cleveland :doh: , Bungles :doh: , GB :doh: basically sealing our fate.

...but I would say DIVISION games define almost every season. We haven't beaten any of our divisonal foes consistantly for many, many years, so it makes sense why we have sucked for so long.

last weeks Giants game could be a backbreaker.

If the team focuses and beats another long time nemisis, this could be the turning point. The beatings, the bleeding, the punishment must stop. We did it against the Cowboys (luckily), we need to do it again against Philly.

Great analysis by the way of those past years, I did enjoy that.

BUT - There is no such thing as "swing game," There is no such thing as a "gut check" game.

If we beat the Giants last week and then lost to the Eagles, we would be in the same position as if we beat the Eagles this week. 5-3 record. Sure Division games are huge, but I don't think we are talking about that, since that hasn't really been mentioned.

Listen, every game is a "gut check" or "statement" or a "big one." This little catch phrase of "we are going to see what this team is made up of" and the like are so senseless. What if we beat the Giants last week, beat the Eagles this week, then lose to the Raiders and Bucs? Then we are back to square 1 and everyone will be jumping at the opportunity to anoint the next game the "gut check" game. Really, the only gut check game is the one that has something very evident and real at stake, i.e. playoffs, homefield advantage and the Super Bowl.

If the Colts lose to the Pats next Monday, did they fail to win a "gut check" game? No, they lost, and they are now 7-1, and now they are going to move on, probably go 15-1 and win the SB.

Remember the Steelers last year??? They beat the Eagles and the Pats, I'm sure people were screaming that they won huge "gut check" games or "season defining" games. What happened? Pats won the real "gut check" game a month or so later.

History has meant little this year:

2 cases in point:

1. Dallas- our "streak" in Dallas, Parcells record 77-0 and playing on MNF (we almost always seem to lose on MNF). We win comeback style 14-13.

2. 49ers/Giants- Never has a Redskins team that have scored 50+ points lose the next game (or next week). We lose 36-0.

Yes, this is a defining game this week.

Archived