Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who hear, Pray's or doesn't Pray to make the field goal or win besides Joe Gibbs?

Skinsphoto

I found myself praying to let the Redskins to just win. At the end of the game against Seattle. I hadn't done that before. The reason I bring this up is because our beloved coach was praying also. He mentioned after the game that we were "blessed to win this game."

What's everyone's opinion, obviously praying for success doesn't mean you're praying for some else's unsuccess. Or does it? It's a very interesting question.

I think some perspective is important here.

Joe is not praying for the field goal to be made/missed. In the 1988 season, when we played Minny in the title game, Joe prayed on the sidelines during the last play of the game. He was asked about this the following week, and what he was praying for. He said (and this is from memory, so not exact quote)

"I simply prayed for the strength to accept the outcome of the situation, whatever happens"

Quite a bit different than simply praying that he makes the field goal, etc. Quite a bit different. ;)

You can bet that the prayer during the Seattle game was similar.

I've prayed that the Lord would help the skins to play to as a team and no injuries and wisdom and discerment about the right plays to run .but winning, i don't know that's more of a selfish thing and i believe he leaves it up to the men in the game. we should pray for good eye sight and wisdom for the ref's. because they like us need all of His help we can get.as far as seperation of football and church. not going to happen, not unless you can seperate the man from his faith. and as a christian , i coulndn't do that. :notworthy

Joe is not praying for the field goal to be made/missed. In the 1988 season, when we played Minny in the title game, Joe prayed on the sidelines during the last play of the game. He was asked about this the following week, and what he was praying for. He said (and this is from memory, so not exact quote)

"I simply prayed for the strength to accept the outcome of the situation, whatever happens"

Quite a bit different than simply praying that he makes the field goal, etc. Quite a bit different. ;)

Good post. I actually pay attention to Gibbs comments regarding praying about the games, and he always says something like thanks for the "good experience" or something to that extent. As far as I know, he has never said he prayed about winning the game.

You might be right about the NFC Championship Game from 1988. However, I heard Gibbs' interview following the Seattle game and he mentioned that he was praying that Novak would make the FG.

You might be right about the NFC Championship Game from 1988. However, I heard Gibbs' interview following the Seattle game and he mentioned that he was praying that Novak would make the FG.

I heard his interview, and don't remember this at all. You have any quote/link?

If you are praying for him to miss the field goal you can guarantee someone is praying for him to make the field goal....so who's prayer would get answered and why?

there is no logical answer to an illogical act, hence why waste time trying to figure out the motives of......Women for instance?

Do I pray when the skins are in a tight spot, of course, why? Well in the words of Chris Rock "because you never know"!

I know this isn't as serious as having a president who relies on his "god" to help him make decisions about the country but if Gibbs is spending one minute praying when he could be game planning I'd say he's doing the team a disservice. Get off your knees and get back to work!

Yes, it's selfish, but I have prayed for many a winning field goal try, or for the other teams kicker to miss. I realize that whatever higher power may be listening couldn't care less about the Redskins. However, as a person who does believe in an afterlife and a higher power, it is just one of the many silly things I pray about every day.

I know this isn't as serious as having a president who relies on his "god" to help him make decisions about the country but if Gibbs is spending one minute praying when he could be game planning I'd say he's doing the team a disservice. Get off your knees and get back to work!

Have a little respect Texan, you don't sign Joe's paychecks, if he wants to pray on the sidelines, who are you to tell him he should "get off his knee's and get back to work"?

If you are praying for him to miss the field goal you can guarantee someone is praying for him to make the field goal....so who's prayer would get answered and why?

It depends on what team God has his money on and if they've covered the spread yet.

Archived