Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here's to being bush league on Sunday.

Art

I was at the Chicago game . . . and it did get extrememly loud during that series. But we need to step it up a couple levels. There is no excuse that the largest stadium in the NFL is not also the most feared place to play among oppossing teams.

I went to about 5 games at RFK, and as I commented to my wife (who is now a skins freak and bought Seattle and SF tickets after going to her first game against Chicago :), I remember when we beat the Giants late in the season in 91 before we wrapped up the division and went on to win our 3rd Superbowl, it was so loud you could not hear the perosn next to you for an entire half.

We need 60 minutes of pure volume - cheering our team on this weekend too! Let's make Hasselback beat us with his arm, by putting them in in 3rd and long from false starts. Hail to em!

Well although I have tried before.... I think that we should put together a list of attendees from the site and try to get a chant "BUSH LEAGUE" during the game.

Who's with me?

I will also be selling a limited amount of t-shirts at the game that will read "I'M BUSH LEAGUE!"

Who's onboard!

bushleague.gif

It's over... no mention of Redskins.com, or Extremeskins. It's funny because they wouldn't have gotten wind of it any other way. I guess someone probably emailed them. They said it was written a couple of weeks ago, but made no mention as to why they were bringing it up for the first time now.

They said George is apparently a nice guy and good editor, but off his rocker on this topic.

Said this is "Old Fashion." and it's not like we're bringing in artificial noise like the horn in Minnesota.

They were going back to '99 for the finale against Miami for the game where they probably received the loudest reception. I think the '01 game against Dallas where they were coming back from their win at Philly to go 5-5 after starting 0-5 was a big reception. Screw Solomon.......they will show the two Brunell-to-Moss bombs on the screen right before the Redskins are intro'd and the crowd is gonna go bonkers!

I should mention the people that are actually in their seats during team intros will go bonkers. Folks going to the game.......please get there early! I know you'll make a racket during the game, but lets help pump the team up before the game as well.

In the home opener we saw one of the few times in the history of FedEx Field where the crowd got so into the game as to make a difference on the field. An actual advantage created at our home field on the series of snaps the Bears went in reverse with three false starts.

This is the atmosphere we need to capture again on Sunday. I bring this up because as the Washington Post struggles to find an audience among non-Skins fans while demonstrating repeatedly they don't care about Skins fans, we were told by George Solomon that our cheering was a bad thing after the last home game.

His words were discussed in this thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114930

As fans, we need to use these kinds of comments as motivation to be even louder. I figure if it disturbs a former sports editor for the Post then it has to be ok in some small way :).

Here's to being bush league my friends :cheers:

Take it to the NEXT level. BE an advantage.

I emailed the dude:

What on earth could be going on in your head? Incase you are unaware, Football Exsists because of and for the fans. Without fans, they sport doesnt exsist- so how are you going to rationalise your stance that that is is bad for fans to get into a game? What do you think the point of homefield advantage is? Its not so the owner can sell more tickets in a season. Id like to slap whoever is responsible for giving you the ego that you have. Seriously, your so busy clinching your butt cheeks that you can't even peace together a logical thought process. Moron.

-Redskin fan

IS THIS SOLOMON GUY FOR REAL? IS THIS HIS FIRST EVER FOOTBALL GAME?

As a lifelong Redskins fan I have never been more proud of the fans at FedEx :helmet: field. I often debate fans of other football teams that our fans NEED to be louder in FedEx so we actually have an advantage playing home games. The Chicago game was the loudest i have ever heard the fans by far! PLEASE KEEP IT UP! We want teams and fans of other teams to be intimidated when they come to DC! THATS what homefield advantage is called Mr. Solomon! Come down to Florida and i'll take you to a Florida Gators:gaintsuck game at The Swamp! You clown.... P.S. ALL YOU SPORTS WRITERS STOP ASKIN COACH GIBBS YOUR IDIOTIC QUESTIONS.....WHERES IS TONY KORNHEISER WHEN YOU NEED EM?:eaglesuck

While I agree it was just an assinine thing to write, I think Solomon's point was: Gibbs congratulating the fans on making noise - something that should be automatic and not in need of congratulations - was bush league (not making noise in and of itself).

Spoken by a true intellect :notworthy

I had enough of that BS @ Berkely and......... infinitum.

Gibbs has every right to congratulate the 12th man on the field

for the win. We are a team, right? :cool:

I remember when the Post was our friend and the Times was our :mad: .

Winning is everything. Let's hope we continue to win.

Makes no difference. Solomon is probably from the southwest & a boyz or cards fan.

It's over... no mention of Redskins.com, or Extremeskins. It's funny because they wouldn't have gotten wind of it any other way. I guess someone probably emailed them. They said it was written a couple of weeks ago, but made no mention as to why they were bringing it up for the first time now.

They said George is apparently a nice guy and good editor, but off his rocker on this topic.

Said this is "Old Fashion." and it's not like we're bringing in artificial noise like the horn in Minnesota.

The media can't really mention us anymore. But, we'll continue to give them story ideas :).

IS THIS SOLOMON GUY FOR REAL? IS THIS HIS FIRST EVER FOOTBALL GAME?

As a lifelong Redskins fan I have never been more proud of the fans at FedEx :helmet: field. I often debate fans of other football teams that our fans NEED to be louder in FedEx so we actually have an advantage playing home games. The Chicago game was the loudest i have ever heard the fans by far! PLEASE KEEP IT UP! We want teams and fans of other teams to be intimidated when they come to DC! THATS what homefield advantage is called Mr. Solomon! Come down to Florida and i'll take you to a Florida Gators:gaintsuck game at The Swamp! You clown.... P.S. ALL YOU SPORTS WRITERS STOP ASKIN COACH GIBBS YOUR IDIOTIC QUESTIONS.....WHERES IS TONY KORNHEISER WHEN YOU NEED EM?:eaglesuck

George is a Florida grad if I remember correctly. He's even an admitted Spurrier fan. After putting Kornheiser and Wilbon in position to be famous it appears Solomon wants his moment in the sun. Just not sure he wanted the heat :).

I guess the fans in Chicago were pretty peeved with us. Straight from the Chicago Tribune shortly after the game, I give you this:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/cs-050914askjerrymarkbreit,1,6954119.story?coll=cs-ctsports&ctrack=1&cset=true

Jerry, Is there still a crowd noise rule in the NFL, or did they do away with the delay of game penalties imposed on the crowd if the quarterback could not call the play? They used to penalize the home team. Is that rule still in effect? -- Keith Totzke, Port Orchard, Wash.

Yes. Obvious inability of the offense to hear team signals because of crowd noise is handled under NFL rules by the following procedure: If the quarterback indicates to the referee that he cannot hear the signals, and the referee agrees, the referee will stop the clock and extend his arm fully over his head. The referee will announce over the wireless microphone that he has asked the defensive team to assist in quieting the crowd. If the crowd noise continues, the referee will again raise his arm and announce that any further crowd noise that is disruptive will result in the forfeiture by the defense of one of its remaining time outs. In the absence of any time outs remaining, a five-yard penalty against the defense will be assessed. Thereafter, if crowd noise reoccurs, the referee will stop the clock and assess the above loss of time out or five-yard penalty.

What follows is the rule, I believe. (Sorry, I’m trying to do this while I’m on a work deadline.)

http://www.supernfl.com/NFLRules.html

10. When, in the judgment of the Referee, the level of crowd noise prevents the offense from hearing its signals, he can institute a series of procedures which can result in a loss of team time outs or a five-yard penalty against the defensive team.

I actually don’t remember this being much an issue except during the late eighties or early nineties. I have some vague memory of crowd noise getting out of control at certain stadiums at that time, and opposing quarterbacks started complaining that they couldn’t run the plays. (The Superdome was a chief offender; I remember some Saints fan with a sign that said, “WHO DAT say we can’t make no noise?’) So the NFL told the quarterbacks to step away from the line until the noise abated; if that didn’t help then the officials could step in and flag the home team. The only quarterback I remember really trying to take advantage of the rule was Randall Cunningham. He stepped away from the line repeatedly during some game at RFK, and all it did was enrage the crowd. I mean, we were screaming, calling him all kinds of names; we were just loud enough to make a difference but not too loud to get flagged. After about five or six games he finally cut out the drama and just played.

I guess the fans in Chicago were pretty peeved with us. Straight from the Chicago Tribune shortly after the game, I give you this:

What follows is the rule, I believe. (Sorry, I’m trying to do this while I’m on a work deadline.)

I actually don’t remember this being much an issue except during the late eighties or early nineties. I have some vague memory of crowd noise getting out of control at certain stadiums at that time, and opposing quarterbacks started complaining that they couldn’t run the plays. (The Superdome was a chief offender; I remember some Saints fan with a sign that said, “WHO DAT say we can’t make no noise?’) So the NFL told the quarterbacks to step away from the line until the noise abated; if that didn’t help then the officials could step in and flag the home team. The only quarterback I remember really trying to take advantage of the rule was Randall Cunningham. He stepped away from the line repeatedly during some game at RFK, and all it did was enrage the crowd. I mean, we were screaming, calling him all kinds of names; we were just loud enough to make a difference but not too loud to get flagged. After about five or six games he finally cut out the drama and just played.

Great post Anne! I also vaguely remember a game where this was an issue also. It may have been a Saints game like you said.

I think the Bears game was loud, but I've heard Fedex much louder. The Giants game a couple years ago...during a comeback, come to mind. As well as the Lions playoff game in 2000.

This guy is a moron. That unsportsmanlike penalty hasn't been enforced in years. Bush league is the Vikings with their horn, or the Rams when they were accused of adding crowd noise through their speaker system a few years ago. I remember when RFK would get so loud the qb would have to turn to the refs for help, then they would have to ask Joe Gibbs to step out and make hand gestures to try to quiet the crowd. This guy is a bush league writer.

In the home opener we saw one of the few times in the history of FedEx Field where the crowd got so into the game as to make a difference on the field. An actual advantage created at our home field on the series of snaps the Bears went in reverse with three false starts.

This is the atmosphere we need to capture again on Sunday. I bring this up because as the Washington Post struggles to find an audience among non-Skins fans while demonstrating repeatedly they don't care about Skins fans, we were told by George Solomon that our cheering was a bad thing after the last home game.

His words were discussed in this thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114930

As fans, we need to use these kinds of comments as motivation to be even louder. I figure if it disturbs a former sports editor for the Post then it has to be ok in some small way :).

Here's to being bush league my friends :cheers:

Take it to the NEXT level. BE an advantage.

THIS GUY IS OUT OF HIS MIND! WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OF A HOME GAME WHEN THE CROWD JUST SITS THERE QUIETLY AND WATCHES THERE TEAM PLAY WITHOUT SOMEONE MOTIVATING THEM, OR FRUSTRATING THE OPPOSING TEAM. WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IT IS SUCH A HUGE ADVANTAGE IN COLLEGE BALL FOR THE TEAM TO BE PLAYING AT HOME FIELD? IT IS BECAUSE THE CROWDS GET INSANLY LOUD GIVING THE HOME TEAM CONFINDENCE AND MAKING THEM PROUD TO BE PLAYING FOR THE TEAM, WHILE ALSO INTIMIDATING THE OPPOSING TEAM AND MAKING IT A LITTLE HARDER FOR THEM TO PLAY. THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THE HOME CROWD THE 12TH MAN. GO SKINS!!!!!

Archived