Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here's to being bush league on Sunday.

Art

All kidding aside, seems to me what we have here is a glaring generational gap.

The Post, through Solomon, gives the impression of actively reaching out to a much older audience by publishing this piece. The idea of crowd involvement/rowdiness as somehow being “dishonorable” is about 30 years behind the times. Today’s sports environment is all ABOUT fan involvement and emotion and “the 12th man” (perhaps Mr. Solomon has heard the phrase?).

I have nothing against the older generation—some of my favorite people have gray hair—I just wonder sometimes at how unaware major mainstream outlets like the Post (and the times, like when they featured old Murray Siegle, RIP, for about 10 years too long) seem to be sometimes of how out of step with today’s fans, and the realities or the games they cover, they have really started to become. They continue to marginalize themselves with the vast majority of today’s consumers.

Don’t get me wrong ... personally, I think that’s great. :)

It’s just hard to understand given their stature within the business.

This has got to be the most craziest thing i have eeeeeeeeever heard. I guess Sunday we all will just sit tight on third and long and just wait for the QB to make up his mind......Yeah right

LOL :laugh: :laugh: Sit tight...........

Thanks for the piece of sub hanging on my computer screen.....

The Post, through Solomon, gives the impression of actively reaching out to a much older audience by publishing this piece. The idea of crowd involvement/rowdiness as somehow being “dishonorable” is about 30 years behind the times. Today’s sports environment is all ABOUT fan involvement and emotion and “the 12th man” (perhaps Mr. Solomon has heard the phrase?).

I have nothing against the older generation—some of my favorite people have gray hair—I just wonder sometimes at how unaware major mainstream outlets like the Post (and the times, like when they featured old Murray Siegle, RIP, for about 10 years too long) seem to be sometimes of how out of step with today’s fans, and the realities or the games they cover, they have really started to become. They continue to marginalize themselves with the vast majority of today’s consumers.

I understand where you are coming from. However, the way in which this little quote appears, like it was tacked on to the end of an otherwise coherent article, creates the impression of a random rant by an old, senile, disgruntled beat reporter who just couldn't last an entire piece without squeezing in his two cents with regards to his uncomfortable experience at a modern day football stadium. It just doesn't seem to make anyone happy besides himself.

I think it is about time FedEx stepped up and got loud. I can remember the atmosphere at RFK. That place was always rockin.

If you can remember back that far, those were the glory days. I think there is a direct correlation between the crowd noise and the winning ways of old.

GO SKINS!!! Get LOUDER!!!

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Why would he do that? I'd venture to say that most Skins fans, even the older ones, don't mind having a loud venue since the team played at RFK for a while.

Solomon was around when the Skins were winning championships, and if he ever went to an RFK game then he SHOULD know what crowd participation is all about.

There are no TRUE sports fans out there that care if a game is too loud. If they do, they should consider finding another hobby.

Om, I generally agree with just about everything I have seen you post. But I have to take exception with your premise on this one. I was going to all the games 30 years ago, and the stadium never rocked harder or longer than when George Allen was here. He regularly made a point of asking (almost DEMANDING) that fans get boistrously loud for the games. He started the practice of such loud, non-stop screaming all during the Redskin intros, that no one in the stands could even hear the PA.

So while I agree Solomon is acting like an old, out-of-touch F*RT, it is not because it used to be different to be a real fan. It's clearly that this clown just doesn't have a clue. Apparently, that is why he writes for that rag.

Om, I generally agree with just about everything I have seen you post. But I have to take exception with your premise on this one. I was going to all the games 30 years ago, and the stadium never rocked harder or longer than when George Allen was here. He regularly made a point of asking (almost DEMANDING) that fans get boistrously loud for the games. He started the practice of such loud, non-stop screaming all during the Redskin intros, that no one in the stands could even hear the PA.

So while I agree Solomon is acting like an old, out-of-touch F*RT, it is not because it used to be different to be a real fan. It's clearly that this clown just doesn't have a clue. Apparently, that is why he writes for that rag.

I didn't mean to imply that today's crowds are louder or "better fans" on any level. Hell, I was in the stands screaming in the early 70's myself. I'm just suggesting that the idea of someone criticizing them for it, or implying it's less than honorable from a competitive or sportmans standpoint, is a rather surprisingly out-of-step notion given how prevalent and universally accepted the whole 12th Man phenomenon has become over the last ... oh, generation. :)

You and I get that ... so why don't Mr. Solomon, and, more to the point, his employer?

Definitely a stupid comment. They make noise from high school up to professional ranks. When I played highschool and college basketball, I used to thrive off of crowd noise from the the other teams fans when we played at their place. I used to love hearing silence after hitting two free throws! This dude is a loser. He probably never played any sports ever in his life or he probably didnt make it past T-Ball!!!

How 'bout you guys jump it up an octave or four for us fans too far to go to the game???

I'll be there screaming my head off at this game even more than the Bears game now.

This is one of the reasons why I don't read the Post anymore. It's fine to be critical of the team being a writer, but to call the fans bush league for cheering on their team is just preposterous.

That's the most obnoxious journalistic statement I've ever heard. Perhaps this is part of the resentment the Post holds against Danny 'n Co. because they went hard on them for how they handled the tickets they were sold. Regardless, isn't the point of home-field advantage having that 12th man?! Wasn't the entire league, esp. Gruden, giving us props for how loud it was in the season opener last year? Solomon just lost a lot of respect...

"Flippin' Idiot!" - Napoleon Dynamite

I am so tired of the Washington Post and all of there reporters. I wonder where they are from and which team they are rooting for. If it's not the Redskins they need to get the heck out of town or get helped out of town.

And making noise is what fans are supposed to do at games, thats why they call it home field advantage. That reporter is an idiot:logo:

What the heck was Solomon smoking when he said that? Home field advantage is such a part of the game, it's figured in the point spreads as a +3 for the home team. Why would that be? Exactly because of crowd noise.

(If had anything to do with other things like the weather, then the given home field advantage spread would change as the seasons changed.)

Archived