Extremeskins

WT: With Brunell in charge, keep the No-Doz handy - Tom Knott

spanishomelette

With Brunell in charge, keep the No-Doz handy

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20050919-123612-5875r.htm

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20050919-123612-5875r_page2.htm

By Tom Knott

September 19, 2005

Keeping hope alive is no easy assignment around Mark Brunell and the Redskins.

Brunell is ready to establish the 2-yard passing game in Irving, Texas, tonight after Patrick Ramsey's anointment as the team's starting quarterback lasted about as long as a restroom break.

Brunell is packing the moxie of a 35-year-old quarterback and the arm of a slo-pitch softball hurler.

His re-emergence has resulted in a weeklong groan around the city, although there remains a tendency to tout his performance in the preseason.

The importance of looking acceptable against those now serving chili dogs at 7-Eleven is limited. The faithful should have learned that from the stirring preseason experiences of Babe Laufenberg.

Equally worrisome is the brittleness of kicker John Hall, who might consider living in a bubble. Hall is the team's offense up to this point, all nine points of it, and he is on the shelf.

The last time these two teams met, Vinny Testaverde was wheeled onto the field for one of the last times of his career before throwing the game-winning touchdown against the Redskins. Most fans were all too surprised that Testaverde still could throw for distance from a wheelchair.

NFL historians gulp hard around the unyielding pattern of the Redskins and Cowboys, a previously fierce rivalry feared dead.

Joe Gibbs has not defeated Bill Parcells since 1987, the Redskins have not beaten the Cowboys in Dallas since 1995 and Brunell is prepared to put 13 points on the board, perhaps even 16 if he is feeling especially frisky.

That leaves it up to Antonio Brown to have a big return, only he is no longer around after being the subject of so much praise before his fumble against the Bears.

Assuming Brunell and the Redskins perform down to expectations, Gibbs will have a bye week to ponder the long-term prospects of an offense that labors in cement shoes.

He could win with any quarterback during his first go-around. Now we know of one quarterback, if not two, who are mocking the conventional wisdom.

The belief persists the Redskins are merely one competent quarterback away from a playoff berth, as if the observation helps the inertia on offense go down easier. To be honest, the absence of a competent quarterback is the bane of all too many NFL teams.

It is the position that usually separates the haves from the have-nots of the NFL.

Gibbs already has rushed into Plan B. It is hard to imagine what Plan C is, given his distaste for rookie quarterbacks.

Yet Plan C will be the shrill cry tomorrow if Brunell delivers one of his 98-yard gems.

Testaverde, of course, is available.

The Cowboys are bound to falter against the Redskins one of these decades, if only out of statistical probability. The Cowboys have won 14 of their last 15 meetings with the Redskins, which defies logic in the parity-stuffed NFL.

The Redskins will be obligated to say the following if they overcome the Cowboys: "No one outside this locker room gave us a chance."

The contest is not devoid of appeal, as ABC elected to feature the coaches of the two teams on "Monday Night Football" for a second consecutive season.

Gibbs and Parcells have only so many games left in them. At 63, Parcells is Gibbs' junior by one year. Gibbs is in the second of a five-year contract that few expect him to complete, as he rides off into the sunset with the pedal to the metal and STP stickers affixed all about him.

When last together on the national stage, Gibbs could be seen making a half-hearted handshake attempt with Parcells after the game.

Yet Gibbs gave Parcells and the Cowboys a week to make the adjustment to Brunell. Perhaps the curious timing of the announcement was made out of concern of his team's supporters.

It was a warning to stock up on No-Doz Plus and Maalox.

What the F*** is the point of a guy from a hometown paper writing this article? What does it do for anyone??? Does it give us any useful information? Any helpful insights? Any wit? Anything???

F*** this punk. I can understand this from a pissed off fan on a message board, maybe, but in the friggin paper?

"Gibbs is in the second of a five-year contract that few expect him to complete"

I hate when writers just throw speculation out there as fact. What defines a few? Did this reporter interview everyone in the world? Or is he referring to some group from which the few come from? Not a very bright man, is he?

Jerko. Move to Dallas and keep on living your loser life that you live my man. We don't want you in Washington. It's so easy to write something negative these days based on Brunell's performance last year. Love it how everyone thinks they know better than Gibbs when he works with these guys every day. If Brunell were the Brunell of last year, he wouldn't be playing, that's for sure.

OK, look, I wanted Ramsey to get more of a shot than he did. And I admit, I griped a little early in the week. But dang. Back the hell off already. I can have an opinion because the Redskins are MY team. Always have been. Always will be. If you're just going to throw out hate with no apparent purpose, then go work for the Dallas Morning News. We don't need you here!!!

YOU GUYS!! Tom Knott(head) is Jerry Markbreit's writing name!!! What do you expect from him? ;) He's getting paid really well to go against the Skins...just like he did when we played Dallas and he was Head Ref. ;)

I still have a dart board with his picture on it. :D

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Justin

aka UltimateSkinsFan

(son of a WWII ETO Vet)

The thing is, when the Redskin win tonight, and Brunell looks good, don't expect this guy, or any of the others who have written pointless, factless, cheap-shot articles like this to come out and admit they were wrong in thier next article.

They'll just crawl back under thier rocks, put out articles about other things in the NFL, the Nationals, or the upcoming season for the Wizards.

They'll bide thier time till the Redskins stumble somewhere, then crawl back out from under thier rocks to pounce on it.

I don't want anything from these people, and I don't expect nothing of them either. :)

"Brunell is packing the moxie of a 35-year-old quarterback and the arm of a slo-pitch softball hurler. "

This line cracks me up as well. Is he still looking at film from last year???? So far this year in practice and preseason Mark has zip back on the ball. We all know this, why doesnt this idiot???

Jerk. i thought the Times was supposed to be the more Redskin friendly media outlet....guess they are right there in the sesspool next to the Post. :dallasuck

I hope Mark and the Redskins make all these idiots choke on their chickens tonight.

For the life of me, I don't understand why you guys let this stuff get to ya. For the ammount of time many say they have been Skins fans, I would thing they would be use to this clap trap. It's an opinion piece, and his opinion isn't far off from more then a few that post on this forum and the points about Brunell. Throw in the normal ammount of general inaccurate Skins bashing, and you have this article.

It's also to be expected if you want people in the media to give their honest opinion. It's this guys opinion. Dallas has owned us for a long time now, and if we win tonight, expect to see it called a fluke. We have to sweep Dallas this season to gain a little respect from the media on that front.

Brunell has to give us a big game tonight to gain a little of the respect he once had in the league. If he can produce on a consistant bassis through the begining half of the season, the media will have no choice but change their toon about the team, and Brunell to a large extent, or sound like complete morons.

Just because it's a home town paper, we still have to earn any type of respect. With a pizz poor running record, you have no choice but earn it.

I don't like these articles, but I don't let them get me crazy either. Chill out people, and lets hope we stomp the Boys tonight in a lopsided victory. That's the first step ;)

Not sure why articles like this as bashed so much here at this point. Till, I see different, I have little to no expectations of beating Dallas nor feilding a productive offense with Brunell at QB. Even with Ramsey's mistakes he gave us a threat of a passing offense, right now we have the threat of the 5 yard dumpoff or the vastly underthrown deep ball.

Hopefully Jason Campbell will save us from this down the road, but that's far from a sure thing.

For the life of me, I don't understand why you guys let this stuff get to ya. For the ammount of time many say they have been Skins fans, I would thing they would be use to this clap trap. It's an opinion piece, and his opinion isn't far off from more then a few that post on this forum and the points about Brunell. Throw in the normal ammount of general inaccurate Skins bashing, and you have this article.

It's also to be expected if you want people in the media to give their honest opinion. It's this guys opinion. Dallas has owned us for a long time now, and if we win tonight, expect to see it called a fluke. We have to sweep Dallas this season to gain a little respect from the media on that front.

Brunell has to give us a big game tonight to gain a little of the respect he once had in the league. If he can produce on a consistant bassis through the begining half of the season, the media will have no choice but change their toon about the team, and Brunell to a large extent, or sound like complete morons.

Just because it's a home town paper, we still have to earn any type of respect. With a pizz poor running record, you have no choice but earn it.

I don't like these articles, but I don't let them get me crazy either. Chill out people, and lets hope we stomp the Boys tonight in a lopsided victory. That's the first step ;)

good point i mean whens the last time you heard a reporter trash our defense.

they dont cause there too good. and untill our offense performs the same way we"ll just have to listen to it.

Archived