Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: With Brunell in charge, keep the No-Doz handy - Tom Knott

spanishomelette

I don't understand most of these posts.

Half the time, people are whining because the media is not objective.

The other half, because there's a Skins bias.

What do you expect people to say after losing 14 out of the last 15...especially people who are paid to give their opinion?

What do you expect people to say about an aged QB who hobbled his way to career lows last year?

And incidentally, Coach Gibbs being out of football for 12 of those 18 years that he has failed to beat Parcells (who was out 5 years himself) means may be a valid point. But so is that fact that he lost 2 games in 1988, 2 in 1989, 2 in 1990, and 2 in 2004 to Parcells. I, personally, don't put much stock in those numbers since the NYGs were pretty good from '88-'90 (although so were we) just because it was ages ago, however, it certainly is a valid comparison.

I'm glad that the Redskins are trying to turn things around. I'm glad that Coach Gibbs is at the helm. But, I think he's made his fair share of mistakes (and continues to do so) and the negativity is well earned.

Ok, columnists, you're right. Joe Gibbs is an idiot. He went from being one of the most intelligent and innovative coaches in league history to a damn fool. Amazingly, he did this while transitioning into a champion NASCAR team owner, but no matter, that was all a ruse. His abilities to coach an NFL team have all disappeared, and he's now the equivalent of Corky with a headset and a clipboard.

Have I about covered it?

Knott sums up my feelings pretty well. A lot is riding on Gibbs' gamble paying off tonight. I entered this season excited and with a bullish prediction of us going 10-6. Now I find myself pretty nerve-wracked about this whole ill-timed QB switch to a guy who frankly stunk it up last season and who did nothing to reassure me last week. If my (and Knott's) fears materialize, "I told you so" is all I really have to cling to.

Here's to hoping that I'm wrong....

Have I about covered it?

Not even remotely. Whatever you think about either quarterback, you have to admit that it is a big risk that Gibbs is taking. If it works, he'll be getting away with one. But what if it doesn't? What if Brunell flops? The options are Campbell, who doesn't yet know how to read an NFL defense (see last preseason game) or Ramsey, who will now be doing everything he can to secure a ticket out of Washington the minute this season ends. I love the team Gibbs has put together, I love the attitude and offseason participation, I love the acquisitions of Cooley, Portis, Washington, Springs, Griffin, etc. But I can't be at all thrilled with our options at QB given this switch, and on that I do very much question Gibbs' judgement.

But I guess refusing to be a lemming makes me a disloyal fan?

The guy was harsh, and maybe even disrespectful, but you've gotta admit there's no excuse for losing 14 out of 15 games to an inferior Dallas team. Why do the Skins keep losing to these losers? I'm as sick of it as anyone and I'd like some answers.

Yea this guy is an idiot....

I mean Brunell clearly has done a great job in regular season games....He allways allows the O to put lots of yards and points.....and since becoming a skin he has a great starting record in regular season games....anyone can see that he has a rifle arm....and never backpedals and throws the ball away before the play develops...oh yea...and man can he throw that out route..

The only problem is...he just needs to learn to hand off better.

Until Brunell proves otherwise, we are going to see plenty of opinions as this article. People here seem to want to ignore last year because he was hurt, but Brunell hasn't proven yet that this year will be different. Certainly, not in the Bears game.

I'm hoping this guy's opinion isn't correct, but I'm keeping my expectations low. Easier to be pleasantly surprised than to be crushed at losing at Dallas yet again.

Jason

If the Skins win ... the Media will blame the poor performance of the boys.

I lived in Cheyenne, WY for 8 years and we got the Denver post. This is exactly what they wrote about the Broncos every time they lost. They were never beaten by a better team, but instead the Broncos always lost because they shot themselves in the foot.

Again, my problem is not particularly with the issue of "facts" here--whatever, we can argue about that all day, to no avail. Until we win, that's going to happen.

My problem, as a number of others have mentioned, is the fact that this is an opinion column in a Washington paper, not an SI or ESPN piece. I am not demanding that everyone become a homer--far from it--all I'm asking is that a local writer giving his "thoughts" before a Monday night Dallas-Redskins game not print an anti-skins diatribe. Nothing new by way of facts or insight was offered here, just Knott's personal comments about how much he hates the skins. Why publish that? Any redskin hating meathead could have written that piece. How about a piece by someone who loves the skins, but is genuinely worried about the situation? Or something. THis piece was a new low.

Archived