Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Conflicted with Gibbs chat. What do you guys think?

Art

I personally think that there should be no questions asked about the QB situation. He has made it clear what his feelings are and given plenty of reason as to why he feels that way. I would like to see questions about the Dallas rivalry, the game today vs. his first tenure and his feelings so far on the Shotgun. I know I am in the minority here but the QB thing has been beaten to death. Contrary to popular belief not every great team has even a mediocre QB.

All,

With the Gibbs chat coming Friday, I’m filtering through dozens of new questions to go along with the dozens of old questions we had. As you can imagine, the questions are changing to nearly one focus and nothing else. That focus being the decision at quarterback. As I’m ordering these questions and attempting to avoid duplication, I’ve found myself somewhat conflicted and worried about this chat for a very simple reason.

As a fan with knowledge of Coach Gibbs historically, he will not be very effusive on the topic of the QB. We are in season. He’s had a press conference and more quotes in a quote sheet we have on the board. He’s answered how he’s going to answer very likely. Peppering him with questions I can’t imagine him answering in any more depth than he already has and might shorten some of the other questions he might answer. We have very limited time with him and I’m already going to be leaving MOST people’s questions on the table, unasked.

My conflict is I don’t want to short change the interest of you guys in asking non-topical questions in the hope of getting more, better answers, but I also don’t want to lose that opportunity. I’m wondering if I should cut out most of the quarterback questions for now, perhaps revisiting them in another chat with the coach in the off-season when he is typically has more time to be effusive.

These are my thoughts. I am the keeper of the question list, so, if I go to Gibbs with nothing but QB questions or lacking any, it will be my choice. I’m just wondering what you guys think. This isn’t a vote. I’m not bound by your feedback. I just want to get a feel for the view of the community as to what they think I should do. I may disappoint the majority here or thrill you. I don’t know yet. I’m just seeking this conversation with you for my own needs.

Art.

Please cut down the QB questions..he's addressed them, ad-nauseum

:2cents:

I like the question I sent you it's short and to the point and may be a little tuffer to dance around without a little input.It's a question everyone would like to hear his opinion on.Reguardless of which one it is a QB question has to be asked to important to the fan base.

F the QB change...we'll probably just get the same recycled answers as always. We all know why he made the change, its not a mystery. So why waste valuable Gibbs face time with questions we alread know the answer to? If you're going to ask any questions (about the QB change), maybe just ask how Campbell is developing or something like that.

I'd also like to know how he felt watching all those shotgun plays on Sunday...was his heart in his throat or what?? Especially the low snap that Brunell scooped up and completed the throw to Moss. I'd also like to know how short of a leash the shotgun is on. If there is one lost snap, is that the last we'll see of it?

yea I believe the QB questions should definetly be cut to a minimum, the one's regarding the conflict anyways, not individual QB's. I for one would love to see Brunell put that ball downfield monday night against the Cowboys, I'm thinking the only reason he didnt was he was just being conservative to get the W

I, myself, wouldn't ask him any questions about the QB situation (he's given his answers... what else is he gonna say?).

However, it is the domiant topic here (too domiant... its one of the reasons I haven't posted here as much this week. I'm sick of typing and reading about it).

I'd say a question. Maybe two. One poster had a good idea about maybe asking him a question that allows him to make a statement on it to the fans and then leave it at that.

You should in NO WAY dwell on it. It's been asked to death of him and beaten to death here.

Besides, there are other topics concerning the Washington Redskins and Coach Gibbs that folks I'm sure would want asked about. :)

If you don't ask about it, it becomes the giant purple elephant in the room. He's not dumb, he's got to expect it. I think it would put him at ease to just address it at the beginning.

I like the suggestion to just say at the outset that it is obviously the dominant topic among fans, with no clear consensus. Does he have any general statement that he would like to address to the fans re: decision making process, Brunell's future, Ramsey's future, Campbell's future (and current progress)?

Then, after his response, you can gauge whether or not he's open to follow-up or to moving on to the other interesting topics.

I'd ask him

1) How have our 2 first round rookies progressed so far? Do you see Jason playing at all this year? Any plans to start Rogers this year?

2) Will the offense take more shots down field this year, regardless of who is at QB?

3) Have we seen all the new blocking schemes designed to help Portis? If not, will we soon?

4) Are you enjoying your 2nd stint with the Redskins as much as the first go round?

To me, as long as he's pressed to provide a better explanation for why he made the decision than he did on Monday, I would be satisfied. He refused to explain himself, and I think that hurt him badly in the public perception of it. I don't know how many questions it would take to do that.

To me, as long as he's pressed to provide a better explanation for why he made the decision than he did on Monday, I would be satisfied. He refused to explain himself, and I think that hurt him badly in the public perception of it. I don't know how many questions it would take to do that.

It would only hurt him in public perception from people who seem to think he owes them anything more than he gave them and who think he'll GIVE them more than he gave them. Gibbs isn't going to run down one of his players. He will find a way to make such moves sound as nice as he can. Period.

This is one of his great strengths working with people. Very few would expect anything different, especially during the season.

Do our coach a favor and

DONT ASK HIM ONE QUESTION ABOUT HIS DECISION WITH RAMSEY!

I think he will be very appreciative and very impressesd if we keep the questions to stragtegy, health of players, offensive schemes, Gregg Williams, Sean at WR, etc...

What in the world is he going to tell us that he didn't tell the whole world the other day, we are wasting our time if we ask him about the QB change.

If these vultures want drama, tell them what channel Jerry Springer and Days of our Life is on ...

These will be the questions that he wont like the most. The hardest ones never are but they are the one's that everyone else expects you to answer with just reasoning. If he is indeed confident in his decision then he shouldnt have any problem with the questions plus If he can translate this confidence into words then it could take some heat off of him. So he may actually embrace it.

Art -

Is this going to be done electronically? Or will you be sitting down, face to face with the living legend? If its the latter, you are one lucky mofo...enjoy it man!

Everything I do is done over the phone. Though, I may slip in a couple of the questions already asked to Portis and Williams this week while I'm in Dallas. If there's time :).

Personally, I think the QB questions should wait until the offseason. This will give everyone an opportunity to see how things play out. With limited time,

you need to give an overall sampling of questions from the board.

Great point.

I'd like to hear questions about his everyday life, what music he listens to, what he does for fun on his own time etc... Favorite movies, favorite books...

Favorite extremeskins poster... :paranoid:

If the question is Why'd you make the switch? Or some other question where the answer is obvious, don't ask it.

In general with these chats, it would be great if you could focus on asking questions that the media isn't already asking him. If the question is just a rant in disguise, don't ask it.

However if there are questins that stand out as unadressed that gibbs has a decent chance of actually answering, then you should go ahead and ask those. The fact is it's the most interesting story out there right now, and if we have good questions you should ask them. Do your best to see if any of them are really any good.

It would only hurt him in public perception from people who seem to think he owes them anything more than he gave them and who think he'll GIVE them more than he gave them. Gibbs isn't going to run down one of his players. He will find a way to make such moves sound as nice as he can. Period.

This is one of his great strengths working with people. Very few would expect anything different, especially during the season.

He does owe us an explanation, because we are the ones who ultimately pay his salary, and everyone else's on the team. We are the customers. If he wants to tell us to go screw ourselves, then give him an opportunity to do it.

If he just said "Patrick was turning it over too much", that would be more than he said on Monday. If he did give that answer, you are then obligated to ask "What about the way Brunell played last year, and why the different treatment?". If you do not ask those questions, then the claim that the site has lost its indpendence will be substantiated, and the whole interview will be useless. You can ask those kinds of questions with tact and respect, but they have to be asked.

Take this from an attorney who asks questions of witnesses who don't want to answer for a living: if you ask him direct questions, you'll never get him to open up. For example, "Why did you make the switch at QB?"

What I'd do is sprinkle the interview with more innocuous questions, such as, "What do you want Patrick Ramsey to improve upon during the course of this season?" The implications of a more open response to that question are far more innocuous than the other one, and BTW it also allows far less wiggle room. If he doesn't choose to answer, fine we can't force him to (unlike my deposition witnesses), but if he does then you've probably have some informative stuff.

I'm busy so I can't type up more right now, but that's the idea.

Archived