Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Conflicted with Gibbs chat. What do you guys think?

Art

AJ,

What's your point? That Brunell gives us the best chance to win because he doesn't turn the ball over? That's not true. He did it plenty last year. The team is different now? That doesn't apply. Ramsey played with the same team last year aginst the 3 of the league's top defenses. Brunell manages the team well? 9 points in 3 quarters is not managing the team. It's playing not to lose. Gibbs didn't need to open it up in the Bears game? Then why not let Ramsey keep handing off to the running backs? The fact is, there has been no honest explanation for the quick hook. Again, what did Brunell do that was so incredible that Gibbs would spend all that time preparing the team with Ramsey only to pull him after 4 series? Neither one has shown anything spectacular so what was the deciding factor?

For my part - since it's his decision and he has made it, I would stick to more questions about maybe bringing back Farris at WR, or bringing up (I think his name was) Foster from the PS for kick returns and to add some depth at WR. Better yet, ask him about why Ade Jimoh, who routinely gets burned, including in the Bears game, stays in there just for ST?

I also like the question about how he expects Ramsey to improve to attempt to gain the top spot back...

Or how about - has he though about using Rock as an Hback in passing situations for flat or crossing routes? Get him past the line and he can motor...

Just two cents from a new member :)

All,

With the Gibbs chat coming Friday, I’m filtering through dozens of new questions to go along with the dozens of old questions we had. As you can imagine, the questions are changing to nearly one focus and nothing else. That focus being the decision at quarterback. As I’m ordering these questions and attempting to avoid duplication, I’ve found myself somewhat conflicted and worried about this chat for a very simple reason.

As a fan with knowledge of Coach Gibbs historically, he will not be very effusive on the topic of the QB. We are in season. He’s had a press conference and more quotes in a quote sheet we have on the board. He’s answered how he’s going to answer very likely. Peppering him with questions I can’t imagine him answering in any more depth than he already has and might shorten some of the other questions he might answer. We have very limited time with him and I’m already going to be leaving MOST people’s questions on the table, unasked.

My conflict is I don’t want to short change the interest of you guys in asking non-topical questions in the hope of getting more, better answers, but I also don’t want to lose that opportunity. I’m wondering if I should cut out most of the quarterback questions for now, perhaps revisiting them in another chat with the coach in the off-season when he is typically has more time to be effusive.

These are my thoughts. I am the keeper of the question list, so, if I go to Gibbs with nothing but QB questions or lacking any, it will be my choice. I’m just wondering what you guys think. This isn’t a vote. I’m not bound by your feedback. I just want to get a feel for the view of the community as to what they think I should do. I may disappoint the majority here or thrill you. I don’t know yet. I’m just seeking this conversation with you for my own needs.

Art.

Here's what I'd ask: "Joe, is it possible we will see the no-huddle throughout a game like you did years ago to wear on the other team's defense in order to setup smashmouth running?"

On the QB change: Been there, he's done that..IT's over with.

I say 1-2 good questions(only 1 if he answers the 2nd in the 1st answer) about the QB decision and follow it up with a varity of questions reguarding others players and specific development he's seeing.

As much as I don't fully agree with the move, he is trying to win. And that's what the Skins and fans need to be about, the best way to get a W. I'd rather see win now instead of maybe we'll try to win next year.

Well, you can't avoid the QB thing, especially if the goal is to have the coach answer the fan's questions.

But, you certainly can boil it down.. I would assume if you took 200 questions this week, 150 of them will be about the QB decision.. I'd just try to get it to a concise question on the subject that seems to cover what everyone (or as many as possible) want to know.

I mean, it's only one decision, there are only a limited number of way it can be asked, no sense inundating coach Gibbs with the same thing over and over.

I would, however, edit some of the viciousness out of what I've seen around here this week.

~Bang

Week one. Pennington 1int, 6fum - Hasselback 3int, 1fum - Delhomme 2int, 1fum - McNair 1int, 3fum - Culpepper 3int, 2fum - Favre 2int, 2fum - McNabb 1int, 2fum - Vick 1int, 2fum. This is the short list. All of these "big time" QB's had as bad or worse games than Ramsey, yet their coaches have some spine and stick with them. Why doesn't Gibbs just be a man and admit he had no intention of allowing Ramsey to run this offence from the get go?

Week one. Pennington 1int, 6fum - Hasselback 3int, 1fum - Delhomme 2int, 1fum - McNair 1int, 3fum - Culpepper 3int, 2fum - Favre 2int, 2fum - McNabb 1int, 2fum - Vick 1int, 2fum. This is the short list. All of these "big time" QB's had as bad or worse games than Ramsey, yet their coaches have some spine and stick with them. Why doesn't Gibbs just be a man and admit he had no intention of allowing Ramsey to run this offence from the get go?

All of those guys have a considerably better resume than Patrick.

Just CAAAANNN't let it go, can you. You have to put this MORONIC bull crap in every d*mn thread. No way you are really 30. Not likely half that.

Personally, I can't see how you avoided the QB question. This is the single #1 issue on fans and Extremeskins minds. A couple of questions would have been sufficient like, "do you think giving Patrick Ramsey 2 quarters as the starter in regular season was enough time to evaluate his play?" Quite honestly I would think Gibbs expects these questions. To avoid it as you did is to ignore the 2 ton elephant in the room. I'm sure Extremeskins takes their role differently now that they are affliliated with the Redskins.

I say ask him just one question about the QB switch but make it a tough one like:

Coach, if Mark Brunell stinks as badly as he did last year, how many games will it take for you to give him the hook?

Just kidding. I'm interested in how he coaches not what he says.

IMO Ramsey wasn't golden in 2004, but he had a much better year than Gibbs.

Archived