Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The official stop the WR screen pass petition

Spaceman Spiff

Who's tired of seeing our quarterbacks snap the ball and immediatly turn and throw to a receiver who hasn't crossed the line of scrimmage?

I know I am.

If it's possible to get Dan Snyder to give more portajohns at the snap of a finger, do you think it's possible for us to get Joe Gibbs to stop throwing the WR screen? ;)

Let it begin, sign the petition, stop the hitch!

Actually, it worked the way it's supposed to yesterday, at least on one play. (I was at a sports bar where the feed kept dropping in and out - missed at least half the game - maybe they screwed some up later). They got it out to Moss, I think, who made the first guy miss and got a first down. If they can do that, I'm okay with it. If it's like last year, get rid of it!

That was a play that was there. The Bears DB's were playing way off, so you through

the WR screen to pick up good yardage. With Moss and Patten, there is always the

chance that they will break a tackle and take it to the house.

It won't be used all the time, but you have to take what the D gives you.

Spurrier used the WR screen alot, but the college and pro versions are different.

In college, if the ball is thrown behind the line of scrimmage, the blockers can begin blocking downfield before the ball is caught by the WR. In the NFL, they have to wait until the WR catches it. That's why that play is more effective in college football. Spurrier used it with success in the SC/Georgia game.

Spurrier used the WR screen alot, but the college and pro versions are different.

In college, if the ball is thrown behind the line of scrimmage, the blockers can begin blocking downfield before the ball is caught by the WR. In the NFL, they have to wait until the WR catches it. That's why that play is more effective in college football. Spurrier used it with success in the SC/Georgia game.

WR screen is different than a 1 yrd hitch, I think the thread starter meant to say the 1 yrd hitch pass. we didnt run a WR screen today

WR screen is different than a 1 yrd hitch, I think the thread starter meant to say the 1 yrd hitch pass. we didnt run a WR screen today

He changed the title of the thread.

I see what you are saying, but I think that the main point is that on a WR screen, in the NFL, they can't block before hand, thus the play is less effective.

Sign me up. It works from time to time but I hate it. Couldn't you accomplish the same thing with say a "slant pass". If they are playing that far off then a slant would be the way to go right. That seems to be the play call for Indi and the Pats.

Oh well, also can we get a running back screen play or what about a play-action pass??

If your pounding it up between the tackles and then throw it.. fine..

If your going deep to patten/moss or doing a lot of slants.. fine..

If your JUST doing it.. no

It seemed o.k. when Ramsey was in as he started hitting deeper patterns quite a bit before the Undertaker hit him with the armbar....

If you watched the Indy game last night the reason why a team would keep throwing the same play over and over again is to set up something big later. I have a feeling that Gibbs kept doing that hitch because later on if needed we might have seen the hitch and go which would have worked.

One of the guys on redskins radio said it was another way to soften the D for the run, and we did run better in the second half so maybe it worked.

Archived