Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Judge resets assault trial for Oct. 24 for Taylor (MERGED X5)

RWJ

Courts bend over backwards for criminal defendants to be able to prepare their case.

But if Taylor gets convicted and sentenced to prison, HE will be the one bending over backwards.

"Hi there big guy, I'm new in this cell block. My name is Sean. What's yours ?"

"Ben.........Ben Dover"

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wooky from the planet Kishic, but Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it. That does not make sense.

Why would a Wooky, an eight-foot-tall Wooky, want to live on Endor with a bunch of two-foot-tall Ewoks. That does not make sense. But more important, you have to ask yourself what does this have to do with this case.

Nothing. Ladies and Gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case.

It does not make sense. Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a NFL player and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca. Does that make sense? Ladies and Gentlemen I'm am not making any sense. None of this makes sense. And so you have to remember when you're in that jury room deliberating and conjugating the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No. Ladies and Gentlemen of this deposed jury it does not make sense. If Chewbacca lives on Endor you must acquit. The defense rests.

LMAO,

I love that episode of south park.

good stuff!

With the WP article today stating that they just had it scheduled for oct 24, what are the chances they can push it back to february? It seems to me that they should have just negotiated february straight out, since the prosecutors said they would be fine with that...

comments?

MIAMI (Sept. 8, 2005) -- A judge has delayed the trial of Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor on aggravated assault charges until Oct. 24.

The trial had been scheduled to begin Monday, one day after the Redskins open their season against the Chicago Bears. Taylor's attorney Edward Carhart said he needs more time to take witness statements and gather other evidence for his client's defense.

Prosecutors did not object to the delay, which was granted by Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Mary Barzee.

Taylor, a former University of Miami standout, allegedly was among a group of people who got into an armed confrontation over an all-terrain vehicle. Prosecutors say Taylor pointed a gun at someone during the dispute and is charged with aggravated assault with a firearm and simple battery.

Taylor, who pleaded not guilty, faces up to 16 years in prison if convicted. Taylor signed a seven-year contract after being drafted by the Redskins in 2004.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/8820386

Orignally posted on nfl.com

Taylor's trial set for Oct. 24

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20050909-122223-4694r.htm

September 9, 2005

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The continuance of Sean Taylor's trial on a felony assault charge until the offseason was supposed to be a pro forma matter. Instead, the second-year safety faces a trial in Miami on Oct.?24, the day after the Washington Redskins play their sixth game of the season.

State's Attorney Michael Grieco was unavailable for yesterday's hearing before Judge Mary Barzee, and Grieco's assistant apparently didn't feel comfortable agreeing to a continuance until February, which Taylor preferred. She said Grieco wants Taylor on hand to accept or reject a plea bargain offer. Given Florida's mandatory three-year minimum sentence for a felony assault conviction, Taylor's attorney, Edward Carhart said his client would decline the offer.

Barzee then asked Carhart how much time he would need to be ready for trial. When Carhart said a month, Barzee moved the trial back. It's still likely the trial will be continued until the offseason because Grieco has said he doesn't object.

However, nothing is sure in a case in which Taylor claims to be the victim but is facing charges along with associate Charles Caughman, whose trial is set for Oct.?3. Meanwhile, the people the safety accuses of starting the June?1 incident by stealing his all-terrain vehicles are the state's chief witnesses.

-- David Elfin

Hopefully they won't throw the book at him to prove a point against celebrity excesses. I'm not real clear on the details, but the young man (Taylor) needs some perspective. Don't risk your career (tens of millions of dollars) over an ATV (thousands of dollars) and lose a spot on the 'Skinz (priceless)! The logic (or lack thereof) of some pro athletes completely baffles me at times. I'm pulling for him for the sake of the team, but getting involved in that situation was a bone-headed move to say the least. I mean, is it just me?!?!

I hope it does blow over. Florida is set on making some examples. However, if your chief witnesses for the Prosecution are a bunch of low life hoods, well common sense says, Sean walks.

I think he has learned and in fact finds it to be a sombering experience that he does not want to go through again.

Hopefully they won't throw the book at him to prove a point against celebrity excesses. I'm not real clear on the details, but the young man (Taylor) needs some perspective. Don't risk your career (tens of millions of dollars) over an ATV (thousands of dollars) and lose a spot on the 'Skinz (priceless)! The logic (or lack thereof) of some pro athletes completely baffles me at times. I'm pulling for him for the sake of the team, but getting involved in that situation was a bone-headed move to say the least. I mean, is it just me?!?!

Yeah well we have no clue what transpired there. And I'm a believer in giving people second chances, especially when they seem to have a great deal of character and passion. We don't know much about Sean besides how he performs (amazingly and passionately) and what the coaches say about him. He is Greg Williams' "favorite professional athelete." And Greg is candid about that.

That being said, he needs to learn how to channel his passion. Like you said, you don't want to put a burdon on your career over nothing. But I don't think this calls for people bashing him for over 6 months. He's 22, has a lot to learn, and there couldn't be any better people leading him to a great career (Williams and Gibbs). He missed offseason workouts, and I think the warm welcome he received for training camp made him feel a little bad. We'll see. But for now, he hasn't done anything to get me up in arms.

Good to know that pulling a gun on someone in public and being the aggressor in the altercation is nothing to get up in arms about.

Nowhere in the law does it say that it ok to pull a gun on someone who you think stole something from you. Actually, it expressly forbids it.

Turning down the plea bargain may have been a stupid move. Maybe a Jamal Lewis situation is the best that he could hope for here. Spend much of the offseason in jail (might keep him out of more trouble) then come back to play next season, sure does beat going to jail for 3-16 years if he is found guilty.

As a Skins fan I hate the idea of not having on the field.

As a citizen I hate the idea of people getting with crap like this.

No, it is not ok that someone stole his property, No it is not ok that someone shot at him. Neither of these things justifies his actions. especially when the shooting occurred after his alleged attack.

Good to know that pulling a gun on someone in public and being the aggressor in the altercation is nothing to get up in arms about.

Nowhere in the law does it say that it ok to pull a gun on someone who you think stole something from you. Actually, it expressly forbids it.

Turning down the plea bargain may have been a stupid move.

Perhaps the word allegedly should be inserted in there somewhere, innocent until proven guilty and all.

Sorry,

Nowhere in the law does it say that it ok to pull a gun on someone who ALLEGEDLY stole something from you. Actually, it expressly forbids it.

Good to know that ALLEDGEDLY pulling a gun on someone in public and being the ALLEGED aggressor in the altercation is nothing to get up in arms about.

So will you be up in arms IF he is found guilty?

He is nothing but a victim I guess? not that I know what happened or assume he is publilc enemy #21

Sorry,

Nowhere in the law does it say that it ok to pull a gun on someone who ALLEGEDLY stole something from you. Actually, it expressly forbids it.

Nice :laugh:

I was thinking more along this line:

Nowhere in the law does it say that it ok to ALLEGEDLY pull a gun on someone who stole something from you.

Looks like you're the prosecutor and I'm the defense attorney.;)

ok I addmitedly take a prosecutorial position.

I don't think most people feel he is completely the victim here and that he is nothing but innocent.

I just don't see why it is ok to do the things he is accused of.

Fair enough.

I think that most people, including you and I, have absolutely no idea as to what actually happened. So the guilty/innocent arguments or opinions are nothing but an exercise in folly. If he is convicted of any crimes against society then he deserves the penalty that will be meted out.

Archived