Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grab a stick & beat a dead horse - The Merged QB Threads

illone

This is insane.

Ramsey looked bad tonight, against 1st & 2nd defenses....Brunell succeeded against 2nd stringers.....big f'ing deal!

Look, I've long held that Ramsey needs work and may not be the answer, but to suggest from one preseason game that Brunell will automatically be better for this team is asinine.

You want to talk about bad QB'ing....let's talk about Brunell's performance in the regular season last year. The Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, and Green Bay games were 4 of the worst QB performances I've ever seen.....ever. We're talking Jeff George bad.

To take one preseason performance and glorify Brunell against a 2nd string unit is absurd.

Mark accomlished some great things in his career, Ramsey may never reach those...but I can tell you this....in no way should anyone be actively rooting for Brunell to step behind center, because of one quarter of football.

We have an entire season during which he was benched to reflect upon before we go singing this guy's praises.

I want the best man to start as much as anyone...but killing one guy and glorfying another based on the totality of one half of preseason football.....well...that's just fans with an agenda...

Originally posted by fwo40

This is insane.

Ramsey looked bad tonight, against 1st & 2nd defenses....Brunell succeeded against 2nd stringers.....big f'ing deal!

Look, I've long held that Ramsey needs work and may not be the answer, but to suggest from one preseason game that Brunell will automatically be better for this team is asinine.

You want to talk about bad QB'ing....let's talk about Brunell's performance in the regular season last year. The Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, and Green Bay games were 4 of the worst QB performances I've ever seen.....ever. We're talking Jeff George bad.

To take one preseason performance and glorify Brunell against a 2nd string unit is absurd.

Mark accomlished some great things in his career, Ramsey may never reach those...but I can tell you this....in no way should anyone be actively rooting for Brunell to step behind center, because of one quarter of football.

We have an entire season during which he was benched to reflect upon before we go singing this guy's praises.

I want the best man to start as much as anyone...but killing one guy and glorfying another based on the totality of one half of preseason football.....well...that's just fans with an agenda...

Brunell looked better in one quarter than he did ALL of last season. Better than Ramsey has ever looked in a reg game, too.

End of story. You can argue it if you want, but it's silly. I know Brunell sucked last year, but I already covered that by suggesting he was injured last year. Did you read that part or skip over it?

This is insane.

Thank You...................I can't believe how much hysteria is running rampant here over the FIRST PRESEASON game.

Heck, I thought we couldn't freak out much more over a stupid scrimmage last week. I have now been proven wrong there........

Originally posted by illone

Brunell looked better in one quarter than he did ALL of last season. Better than Ramsey has ever looked in a reg game, too.

End of story. You can argue it if you want, but it's silly. I know Brunell sucked last year, but I already covered that by suggesting he was injured last year. Did you read that part or skip over it?

Also for those playing along, Brunell played bad in 7 of his games here as a Skin, but before that he was a pretty stellar QB in the NFL.

Ramsey has yet to be a stellar QB at any one point of his entire NFL career.

It will be very interesting to see what happens next week. I expect much of the same from Ramsey, the question will be who steps up and looks like a starter next week between him and Brunell.

I just want to win!

Dude 2nd string! 2nd f'ing string....

I mean surely if someone was on the otherside saying Ramsey was awesome b/c he lit up the2nd string you'd have the same reaction.

And Brunell absoultely did not look like a world beater tonight...just an average QB. Good for him...I mean that really...good that we can actually get something from the guy.

But if it's your assertion that Brunell's failure last year was due to injury...I must ask if you think he was hurt in every single game?

Because in week 1 against Tampa he looked like ****....up until he was benched he looked liek ****. I'll guarantee you the dude wasn't hurt all that time in every instance.

Look, Ramsey may not be the QB we need, but I have watched him over the past few years and can easily name several games in which he outperformed Brunell's performance in a preseason game against 2nd strigners.

If you can't....it's b/c you've got a point your're trying to make on the assumption that Brunell will have a miracle comeback.

I hope it works out for you.

I for one will choose to see what happens before jumping to conclusions...

Me too, chewy. This isnt about 'hating' Ramsey. This is about my team taking the field and getting a win. I will be HAPPY to eat crow and bump this thread when the season is over if Pat gets us where we need to go. HAPPY TO. I already placed a number of bets on the team this year assuming Ramsey starts. I believe in this team under Gibbs I just get worried as hell with Ramsey under center. He does nothing to show me he has improved or 'gets it.'

5 of 8, 70 plus yards, without the star RB, in the first preseason is the downfall of the team?

That int looked like it just slipped out of his hand, which wouldn't surprise me at all

I am hardly panicking. I was hoping to see more, but I wasn't completely stunned either

Thank God we didn't throw Mark Rypein under a bus after the 1990 season, including such disasters as losing to the worst team in the NFL (Indy) on a last second INT on MNF which forced us on the road against Philly, and of course the playoff game at Candlestick :doh:

Originally posted by CHUBAKAH

..and how many years do you need before you make a conclusion?

just curious...

A fair question...and AGAIN...I don't know that Ramsey is an answer...just like I don't know how some of you could suggest that Brunell is all of a sudden the answer again after a quarter of preseason football. :doh:

Like Gibbs and the rest of the organization I feel that this year is a make or break for Patrick..

He got ****ed by Spurierr and those high school protection plans.....he got screwed half of last year watching the same Brunell all of you are touting take QB'ing back to the stone age...and he finally gets a season under Gibbs.

That to me is the point you can begin judging the guy...when it's his show, with Gibbs' support. This is where I begin to make conclusions...

Only NOT after one preseason game....

Like Gibbs and the rest of the organization I feel that this year is a make or break for Patrick..

He got ****ed by Spurierr and those high school protection plans.....he got screwed half of last year watching the same Brunell all of you are touting take QB'ing back to the stone age...and he finally gets a season under Gibbs.

That to me is the point you can begin judging the guy...when it's his show, with Gibbs' support. This is where I begin to make conclusions...

Only NOT after one preseason game....

If you put a little bit of space between your post, you can understand why some of us are ready to move on.

A fair question...and AGAIN...I don't know that Ramsey is an answer...just like I don't know how some of you could suggest that Brunell is all of a sudden the answer again after a quarter of preseason football. :doh:

Hmm, I haven't said that, nor have I seen it posted. Got a link?

Also, for the record I made my conclusion of Ramsey in 2002, not after this game.

That is why I got my eye on him now.

:laugh:

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

THat would be a more reasonable take.

Illone, as for Brunell being better than Patrick ever will be. Sure, maybe the 1999 Brunell was better.

2004 stunk to high heaven beyond all hope of redemption. EVEN if he came back to some level and played better it would not erase last year.

Dude failed to throw for 100 yards FOUR TIMES.

Patrick has never done that when given a full game.

COme on, one or two quarters in a preseason game doesn't erase the fact that Patrick WAS BETTER than Brunell.

LAST YEAR.

And in training camp...THIS YEAR.

:doh:

Agreed.

Despite practice and preseason speculation, Ramsey has always been a strong gameday competitor. And when the real bullets are flying, he's still my pick at this point. But we still have some work to do. It'll be interesting.

Originally posted by SkinsHokieFan

5 of 8, 70 plus yards, without the star RB, in the first preseason is the downfall of the team?

That int looked like it just slipped out of his hand, which wouldn't surprise me at all

I am hardly panicking. I was hoping to see more, but I wasn't completely stunned either

Thank God we didn't throw Mark Rypein under a bus after the 1990 season, including such disasters as losing to the worst team in the NFL (Indy) on a last second INT on MNF which forced us on the road against Philly, and of course the playoff game at Candlestick :doh:

The playoff game at Candlestick was the year after we won the Superbowl in '91, no?

Tough to throw him under the bus after he wins the big one:laugh:

This thread is not about panick. I'm not panicking, neither is anyone else in this thread.

The playoff game at Candlestick was the year after we won the Superbowl in '91, no?

Tough to throw him under the bus after he wins the big one:laugh:

This thread is not about panick. I'm not panicking, neither is anyone else in this thread.

Please go read up on the database. So, actually it was before he won the big one and he had shown some of those same proclivities to make crucial errors since had started.

Rypien blew chunks at key moments in the Niners game at Candlestick after the Skins defeated the Eagles 20-6 at Veterans Stadium.

We lost 28-10 to the Niners but the game was a lot closer than that. Sealed by a Michael Carter, the NT of the Niners, running back an INT off Ryp for a TD.

Originally posted by Renegade7

If you put a little bit of space between your post, you can understand why some of us are ready to move on.

I was responding to a direct question....

Thought I'd like to answer it in due process.

When someone says Brunell is/was better than Ramsey could ever be...it implies that they believe Brunell could do a better job...

If that's not the case of the Brunell supporters on this thread...than I'd have to ask why bring up Brunell at this point?

This is 2005, what can we do about the QB this year?

And are you ready to give up on Ramsey based on a few series of preseson football?

I'm not.

He may well suck throughly, but we don't have answers right now...and we don't have better options either.

Originally posted by RunPortisRun

This Ramsey talk is getting on my nerves.

Ramsey on any other team would be 2nd string. I need to log.

Even Boller would start ahead of him:doh:

The only guy he could challenge right now would be Harrington, but both Ramsey and he have 'happy feet.'

:laugh:

Well I could come up with some doozy Rypien moments from the 1990 season.

All I know is, even at my young age of 9, this guy was holding us back.

And Gibbs let him loose in 1991 and he put up one of the best seasons of any Redskins QB.

But in 1990 he had some downright awful moments. Including that 28-10 loss at Candlestick, and the horrible MNF loss to the Colts around Christmas time, where he threw a late INT returned for a TD.

Ramsey will be fine. He isn't nearly as mistake prone as Rypien was early in his career

I was responding to a direct question....

Thought I'd like to answer it in due process.

When someone says Brunell is/was better than Ramsey could ever be...it implies that they believe Brunell could do a better job...

If that's not the case of the Brunell supporters on this thread...than I'd have to ask why bring up Brunell at this point?

This is 2005, what can we do about the QB this year?

And are you ready to give up on Ramsey based on a few series of preseson football?

I'm not.

He may well suck throughly, but we don't have answers right now...and we don't have better options either.

You don't get my point. Ramsey hasn't changed a bit. I don't feel we should give up on him immediatly, but he shouldn't be held as the unchallenged #1. Brunell and Campbell showed up tonight, so they deserve shots as well for the starting job.

Enough excuses and I'm tired of just giving Ramsey the keys. He needs to prove that he's the man, and he hasn't done that. That's why Brunell is here, still here, and Gibbs picked a QB in the first round.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Please go read up on the database. So, actually it was before he won the big one and he had shown some of those same proclivities to make crucial errors since had started.

Rypien blew chunks at key moments in the Niners game at Candlestick after the Skins defeated the Eagles 20-6 at Veterans Stadium.

We lost 28-10 to the Niners but the game was a lot closer than that. Sealed by a Michael Carter, the NT of the Niners, running back an INT off Ryp for a TD.

Check your facts, dood. We ALSO lost 20-13 AT candlestick the year after we won the big one. Looks like both of us were right. Don't be so quick to correct someone until you know.:doh:

Originally posted by Renegade7

You don't get my point. Ramsey hasn't changed a bit. I don't feel we should give up on him now, but he shouldn't be held as the unchallenged #1. Brunell and Campbell showed up tonight, so they deserve shots as well for the starting job.

Enough excuses and I'm tired of just giving Ramsey the keys. He needs to prove that he's the man, and he hasn't done that. That's why Brunell is here, still here, and Gibbs picked a QB in the first round.

Competition is fine.....I have no problems with it....

But Brunell was given the job when he got here and played his way out of it.

Campbell is a rookie.

None of this changes after one preseason game.

Gibbs will give the other two shots, but none of us know if they will shine sufficently to be given the job. Reps vs 2nd stringers in preseason are not enough....and Ramsey should be given the chance Brunell was given last year....to start the season and then lose it if he performs terrible.

Check your facts, dood. We ALSO lost 20-13 AT candlestick the year after we won the big one. Looks like both of us were right. Don't be so quick to correct someone until you know.:doh:

Uh yeah, I'm aware of that.

You can be simultaneously conscious of two facts that may involve similar factors (teams, team colors, players, numbers, etc.)

He was talking abour RYPIEN's play against San Fran, which would lead me straight to '90.

That you didn't automatically know that is not you 'being right.' Mitchell fumbled in that 92 playoff game. That's what most people look at in that game.

THe "Ryp choking consistently when it mattered" memory is from the '90 season against the Niners.

That's like confusing the 84 playoff game vs. the Bears and the 87, merely because they have the same teams involved and you claiming that 'we're both right.'

no, you were wrong.

;)

Archived