Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Tandler: Camp Opens: Work To Do

bubba9497

Camp Opens: Work To Do

Rich Tandler - Scout.com

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_417651_71&prov=citadel&type=story

Training camp means back to work for NFL players after a six-week vacation. Besides the general things that they will work on such as conditioning and honing rusty fundamentals, each unit on the field will have its own agenda that will need to be addressed and worked on over the next six weeks. Here's a look at what the players will be focusing on to prepare for the September 11 season opener.

Offensive Line: The starting lineup will change by 40% from last year with Casey Rabach taking over at center and Jon Jansen returning so they must work to develop some cohesion as a group. One who will have a particularly challenging time doing this is right guard Randy Thomas , who plays in between Rabach and Jansen. They will have to do this while learning blocking schemes designed to better accommodate the new emphasis on the deep passing game and outside running plays.

Quarterbacks: During his first run in DC, Gibbs always said that he changed about 40% of the offense from season to season. If what we've heard about with the installation of the shotgun formation and the aforementioned vertical emphasis on the offense is to be believed, that percentage may be much higher this year. Patrick Ramsey will have to learn to execute this new offense after working in one that was relatively shackled last year with a short passing game.

Receivers: With more running to the edge, the receivers will have to run block and stick with their blocks long enough for Clinton Portis to break some big plays. With the switch to smaller receivers Santana Moss and David Patten , this will be particularly challenging.

Running backs: A legitimate deep passing threat opens up draws and screens, plays that the Redskins ran ineffectively last year. Portis and Ladell Betts will need to work on the timing and technique on these plays that need to be sold to the defense if they are to be effective.

Defensive line: This group saw very little change in the offseason and will simply work on continuing its outstanding performance from last year. If they would work on something it would be generating some more pass rush from the edge, although the return of Philip Daniels to health will go a long way towards helping that aspect of the game.

Linebackers: In Gregg Williams' defense, replacing the middle linebacker is huge and the Redskins will have to do that after Antonio Pierce 's departure via free agency. Since the MLB is the signal caller in the defense, the effects there reach far beyond that area of the field. Lemar Marshall will get the first crack at winning the job and he will be working overtime with the playbook and films. After missing most of last season with a knee injury, LaVar Arrington needs to continue to work on internalizing the defensive scheme, which will be the same in consecutive seasons for the first time in his six-year NFL career.

Defensive backs: The one area that the defense would like to improve in over last year is in takeaways; they ranked in the bottom third in the league in that category. In particular, they would like to increase the number of interceptions from 18. That's a middle of the pack performance and the backs will be working on ball hawking techniques and on catching the ball when the opportunity for a pick is created.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Camp Opens: Work To Do

Rich Tandler - Scout.com

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_417651_71&prov=citadel&type=story

Linebackers: In Gregg Williams' defense, replacing the middle linebacker is huge and the Redskins will have to do that after Antonio Pierce 's departure via free agency. Since the MLB is the signal caller in the defense, the effects there reach far beyond that area of the field. Lemar Marshall will get the first crack at winning the job and he will be working overtime with the playbook and films. After missing most of last season with a knee injury, LaVar Arrington needs to continue to work on internalizing the defensive scheme, which will be the same in consecutive seasons for the first time in his six-year NFL career.

Why is it that all analysts seem to forget to mention pro bowler marcus washington in all of there columns? Anyways, isant marshall looking more to play outside rather than in the middle?

Originally posted by skinsngibbs4life

Why is it that all analysts seem to forget to mention pro bowler marcus washington in all of there columns? Anyways, isant marshall looking more to play outside rather than in the middle?

because theres nothing negative they can say about him. ;)

Originally posted by bubba9497

Receivers: With more running to the edge, the receivers will have to run block and stick with their blocks long enough for Clinton Portis to break some big plays. With the switch to smaller receivers Santana Moss and David Patten , this will be particularly challenging.

This, and durability, are the only things that worry me about the receivers so far. I hope they'll prove me wrong on both counts. Regardless, it's exciting to hear that their oft-cited speed is the real deal.

I think Daniels coming back adds to the DL. I think LaVar coming back adds to the LB. I think the experience we got last year in the DB/S/FS area only adds depth to this defense. Plus they are in year two of consistency in coaching. Why is this never mentioned!

Originally posted by Rocky21

Rich makes a good point about the smallish nature of our projected starting WR's blocking downfield.

I never thought of that aspect of it. Hopefully they can lock up on the DB and at least keep them occupied while portis makes a run to the outside.

Originally posted by Cool Hand Loki

This, and durability, are the only things that worry me about the receivers so far. I hope they'll prove me wrong on both counts. Regardless, it's exciting to hear that their oft-cited speed is the real deal.

For the record, the NFL season is 16 games, excluding preseason or postseason. In the last three years, Santana Moss has played in 15 games, 16 games and 15 games. David Patten played in 16 games last year after just six the year before so he recovered from his injury. The previous two years before the injury he played in 16 games.

What durability issue are you concerned about exactly? Moss has gotten nicked up a little here and there, but, he's not missed a lot of time. Patten has had ONE injury in his career where he lost a lot of time and he recovered well enough to play all 16 games.

Worry about the things that need worrying about :).

Rich makes a good point about the smallish nature of our projected starting WR's blocking downfield.

You don't need guys like that to be fantastic blockers. The cornerbacks play so far off the line of scrimmage... they give them at least 10 yards of cushion. Same with the safeties.

Even a guy like Springs has been giving Antonio Brown a LOT of cushion. There's a reason why the receivers are catching a lot of short in/out patterns.... and then getting yards after the catch.

Just because we have all this speed... it doesn't mean we're going to be throwing deep every play. Sure, the Redskins will be taking some shots.

Rather, I expect the short/intermediate passing game just to be completed VERY efficiently.... making for longer drives, more successful drives.

Which means more points... and at worst, a better field possession game. Which is fantastic for a defence like ours.

I've heard players and coaches refer to tweaking and subtle changes for the offense, changing or adding some blocking schemes for Portis, some more deep routes for the receivers, and that the shotgun will be used sparingly. Not wholesale changes.

I get the feeling that with this media buildup of the "major" changes on offense, that when it is more successful this year, we'll be hearing the coaches and players correcting the media over and over again, saying yes, we ran that alot last year. It just didn't work as well for us last year. The difference was in the execution.

Originally posted by rydemps

So basically, according to Rich Tandler :rolleyes: the 'Skins will not win a game this year because they suck so bad.

:doh:

I always got the impression based on the books that he has researched and written about the Redskisn that he is a fan.

I always got the impression based on the books that he has researched and written about the Redskisn that he is a fan.

Rich is a Redskins fan. Although right now, I believe he's disillusioned about a few things in Redskins Park.

However, there is nothing wrong with exploring a different prespective on things.

Archived