Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vikings charging to watch camp

Chrisbob74

Stop pay camp, for fans' sakes

Stop pay camp, for fans' sakes

BOB SANSEVERE

July 17, 2005

There once was a time when you could go to the Vikings' training camp and watch practice for free.

Ah, the good old days

Starting with the opening of camp July 29, Vikings fans over age 5 will not be able to view practices like they used to unless they fork over $5.

And that's just the weekday and Sunday fee.

It's $10 on Saturdays.

Hey, Zygi, this is not the way to win over fans.

Not quite the uproar of when Snyder charged fans for camp.......

Originally posted by Joeythetapeworm

The only way a team could even imagine pulliing this off is after coming off a great year.

I doubt the Pats would cause too much of an uproar, and maybe even the Chargers could pull it off after last season.

The Vikes aren't in that situation at the moment.

The 'Skins did it coming off a playoff year.

When Snyder did it, you would have thought we bombed an orphanage.

Originally posted by Mr. S

The Vikings have a slew of FA pickups in the past 2 years, and penciled in to win the division this season, this does sound eerily familiar. BTW, didnt we charge more?

Plus the Vikings originally were set to be bought by a different majority owner, but he wasn't liquid enough, so the minority owner took over and bought the team just like Milstien-Snyder.

The larger issue which the Vikes must have forgotten is: Charging for attendance allows anyone to attend, including NFL team scouts. That was one of the major things Snyder got blasted for because there was someone there from each team we played that season and there was nothing the team could to to prevent them from evaluating our talent first-hand.

Originally posted by kappaluvacee

The larger issue which the Vikes must have forgotten is: Charging for attendance allows anyone to attend, including NFL team scouts. That was one of the major things Snyder got blasted for because there was someone there from each team we played that season and there was nothing the team could to to prevent them from evaluating our talent first-hand.

That's definitely the main issue that was reported. I kind of wonder though how much of a difference it really makes. They certainly don't ask for ID when you attend the no admission fee camps. Who really knows what personel from other teams are there every day anyway? I'd guess that's one of the main reasons for so many closed practices.

Originally posted by SkinsNatsFan

That's definitely the main issue that was reported. I kind of wonder though how much of a difference it really makes. They certainly don't ask for ID when you attend the no admission fee camps. Who really knows what personel from other teams are there every day anyway? I'd guess that's one of the main reasons for so many closed practices.

that's what I don't understand. - Does every team know every other team's employee's?

Every year I went to Carlisle I would see people in Eagles and Steelers gear there.

In theory when a team doesn't charge admission to its training camp it can ban opposing scouts. I don't know how you could enforce it though.

The Vikings are the same organization that had a player die during training camp a few years ago, that underpays its coaches, with a head coach who got caught scalping tix, that traded away the face of the franchise that is now allowing other teams's scouts to videotape its practices.

Originally posted by scottb

I'm sure there will be plenty references to Snyder's attempt to charge. Heck, Danny may even get blamed for the Viking's stab at training camp revenue.

They can blame Danny all they want. I know for a fact that it's really Mark Brunell's fault.

As we all said a few years ago, who cares if a scout can watch your practice? They can learn a hell of a lot more by watching actual game footage. Most of the preseason stuff is very basic and not all the practices are open to the public.

We got ripped in the media for doing this, but we were really just ahead of our time. NFL teams need $$ and this is another way of getting some. I believe in Minnesota that if you try to buy a ticket to a Vikes/Packers game, you are required to tickets to 3 other games, including one preseason game. And, yes, they charge full price for preseason games.

I personally would have NO problem paying to see practice, if only I was close enough to do it.

The Redskins lost money that summer in fact even while charging.

And if anyone recalls, there was a striking quote by Stephen Alexander after the Monday Night Cowboys game

"It was like they knew what we were gonna do before we did it"

That right there told me what a flop letting scouts in was

Like others have said, it is difficult to spot scouts, but the fine and humiliation of getting caught is what actually serves as the deterrent. It might be impossible for us to recognize scouts of other teams, but the team scouts all know each other. You know they all go to the same workout sessions and attend scouting sessions in groups. When my fiancé’s brother was playing college ball, he was introduced to the scouts from the Eagles, Raiders, and Browns all at the same time following the same game. Plus you know teams aren't sending low-men on the totem pole to get valuable information, they want their most reliable scouts to get the Intel.

Archived