Extremeskins

Vikings charging to watch camp

Chrisbob74

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5509593.html

Last update: July 16, 2005 at 10:59 AM

Vikings training practices no longer free to public

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

July 16, 2005

The Vikings aren't pleased about it, but for the first time in the 40 years they have held training camp in Mankato, fans will have to start paying a price if they want to watch the team's daily practices.

In a decision made by the Greater Mankato Training Camp LLC, it will cost $5 to enter the Vikings Village and watch practices Sundays through Fridays and $10 on Saturdays. Children 5 and under will be admitted for free. Minnesota State University, Mankato, will charge $2 for parking.

"Last year we charged for camp programs and interactive games, and this year both will be free [once people pay the admission]," said Paul Wilke, president of the Greater Mankato Training Camp. "Now we only have to staff one point of entrance, and that's the main gate. People won't have to keep reaching into their wallets or purse."

Wilke said the group decided to begin charging daily admission last fall and had discussed this with the Vikings. But that doesn't mean the Vikings like the move.

"We're disappointed that an admission charge is happening on daily basis," said Steve LaCroix, the team's vice president of sales and marketing. "We understand the challenges the Mankato group is under financially. In a perfect scenario there would not be an admission to the fans."

LaCroix pointed out fans will be able to watch practice for free from an area near the end zone where players exit the field to head to the locker room.

Wilke, told of the Vikings' disappointment, expressed surprise.

"I'm not sure how to respond to that because in all the conversations we've had since last October discussing the fact we were going to be charging, we've had nothing but support from the Vikings to do that," he said. "I know they had an ownership change [from Red McCombs to Zygi Wilf], and maybe there are some issues there. But this is the first time I've heard of them having any issues with us charging."

This is the second year of a four-year agreement the Vikings signed with Mankato to continue holding training camp in the city. Wilke said Greater Mankato Training Camp LLC did not make money last year but anticipated falling short because the deal with the Vikings got done late.

"We believe we can pull back into the black and then be back on track for the last two years of the agreement," he said. In addition to the money from the admission, the city of Mankato has agreed to contribute $75,000 over the next three years and Blue Earth County will contribute $25,000 this year.

The Vikings Village will open July 29, and practices begin the following day.

I say go and scout their players asap, and when they hide a gem on their scout team grab him. Not to mention when they cut a good player because of the depth they have we'll have the inside scoop.

Big Mistake on their part, learn from the mistakes of others.

Originally posted by SkinsHokieFan

The Redskins lost money that summer in fact even while charging.

And if anyone recalls, there was a striking quote by Stephen Alexander after the Monday Night Cowboys game

"It was like they knew what we were gonna do before we did it"

That right there told me what a flop letting scouts in was

Alexander's quote sounds a lot like Clinton Portis quote from last season. The only difference is Portis is NOT useless.

Archived