Extremeskins

NFL draft winners and losers

hadn't seen this posted yet.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3566524

NFL draft winners and losers

Story Tools: Print Email XML

John Czarnecki / FOX Sports

Posted: 11 days ago

With the smokescreens all clear, here are my winners and losers from 2005 NFL Draft weekend ...

WINNERS

1. Dallas Cowboys: This was an important draft for the Cowboys and coach Bill Parcells. It looks great on paper and if it pans out on the field, Parcells may finish out his contract and coach in 2006.

In the first round, Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears were the two defensive players they wanted. Ware was the best pass rusher in the draft whereas Spears, if he loses a few pounds, could be a classic 3-4 end. Dallas surrendered over 400 points last season and Parcells wanted to put an end to that. Tennessee LB Kevin Burnett also fits the 3-4 mold while Minnesota RB Marion Barber has enough slash to complement Julius Jones. They maintained the 3-4 push with Virginia DE Chris Canty, who was a solid producer in college.

If OT Rob Petitti (6-6, 347) of Pitt makes the team then Dallas hit a home run this weekend.

2. Minnesota Vikings: Like the Cowboys, they had two first-round picks and hit on both of them.

Hogwash to those who think Mike Williams is better than South Carolina WR Troy Williamson, who has legit 4.3 speed and is a better route-runner than some think. Wisconsin pass rusher Erasmus James fills another need.

With their free-agency moves, the Vikes might actually have a better defense in the division than the Bears. Wouldn't that be a shocker? Ohio State CB Dustin Fox is a sure tackler and will be a plus on special teams. The only knock on Minnesota is that they started fast and then tailed off in the later rounds.

3. Miami: New coach Nick Saban didn't have many picks, but he made the most of them.

Auburn RB Ronnie Brown was the best of the three runners taken among the top five players in the draft, plus he has great character. Iowa DE Matt Roth had 43 tackles for losses and his motor is always running. Some teams had Roth as a low first-round talent. Florida LB Channing Crowder has a chance to supplant Zach Thomas. Saban also took LSU CB Travis Daniels, who might be a nickel back this season, and in the sixth round didn't miss on Michigan State DT Kevin Vickers.

Considering the limited picks, Saban didn't select one dog.

4. Washington: The Redskins are always getting mauled for lack of imagination and one bonehead decision after another.

But they had a solid first day with physical Auburn CB Carlos Rogers, who was rated by 10 teams to be better than Antrel Rolle. And more than half of the teams had Auburn QB Jason Campbell ahead of Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers. Campbell has the best arm among the quarterbacks. They took two fullbacks, and UCLA's Manuel White should stick on the roster. Stanford OLB Jared Newberry might be a solid nickel linebacker. Made the most of their limited selections.

5. Philadelphia: The Eagles were picking near the bottom of most rounds, but they made the most of their 11 picks.

There is a real good chance that USC DT Mike Patterson, Georgia WR Reggie Brown and San Diego State OLB Matt McCoy could all play significant roles this season on what remains the NFC's best team. Brown will allow Andy Reid to get rid of talkative Freddie Mitchell if he so desires. Patterson will put some heat on Corey Simon and Hollis Thomas inside.

Also, you have to like the offensive linemen — G Scott Young of BYU and Calvin Armstrong of Washington State — that they took in the sixth round. Armstrong is massive at 6-foot-7, 325 pounds and still growing.

Plus, the Eagles think they might have stolen another Bryan Westbrook with Louisiana Tech's Ryan Moats. The Eagles keep winning because of drafts like this one.

LOSERS

Just because Aaron Rodgers slipped down to the Packers, don't think they're looked at as a team that came out of the NFL Draft as a winner. (Mike Roemer / Associated Press)

1. Green Bay: There is no question that new GM Ted Thompson went building for the future with the first-round selection of Cal QB Aaron Rodgers while most competitors thought Bethune-Cookman CB Nick Collins was a reach in the second round. They also took a failed Arena League player in Michael Hawkins of Oklahoma. They saved themselves with solid picks in the sixth round with UCLA WR Craig Bragg and Texas A&M DT Mike Montgomery. Texas A&M WR Terence Murphy was called an underachiever by his coaching staff.

It will be interesting to see how low-key, workaholic Brett Favre and the talkative Rodgers get along in training camp.

2. Seattle: Not too crazy about what the Seahawks did at the top of the draft. They seemed to settle on center Chris Spencer early and traded out of their spot. They could have gotten him later. USC LB Lofa Tatupu was considered a fourth-rounder by some teams, but they took him 45th overall. And Georgia QB David Green won't be pressing Matt Hasselbeck; most teams considered him a system quarterback.

They got a solid special teams player late — Alabama LB Cornelius Wortham — but this was a mish-mash of a draft for a team wanting to go to the playoffs.

3. Detroit: USC WR Mike Williams isn't known as a hard worker and there must be off-the-field problems with former No. 1 pick Charles Rogers for the Lions to be making a move with the receiver for the third consecutive year.

Second-round pick Shaun Cody of USC was off a lot of teams' draft boards because of medical concerns. Third-round pick CB Stanley Wilson picked up the nickname "Toast" in college while Connecticut QB Dan Orlovsky was a reach. Sixth-round DE Jonathan Goddard was a heckuva player at Marshall, but at 6-feet, 220 pounds where do you play this defensive end in the NFL?

4. St. Louis: The Rams aren't even sure they like Florida State OT Alex Barron, considering how much they had their hearts set on drafting Georgia safety Thomas Davis. Barron has been soft and lazy, something he can't be at this level. Stanford third-rounder Oshiomogho Atogwe will be a great special teams' player, but not much more.

Notre Dame TE Jerome Collins and Ball State WR Dante Ridgeway, taken in the 5th and 6th rounds respectively, might end up being the best players taken.

5. New Orleans: The Saints definitely hit on Oklahoma OT Jammal Brown in the first round, but FS Josh Bullocks and ILB Alfred Fincher were reaches. They might be able to redeem themselves if Florida State QB Adrian McPherson, the kid who gambled away his scholarship, blossoms and if Wisconsin DT Jason Jefferson can improve his strength.

They hit a single when they needed at least a triple.

Wow, someone in the media admitted the obvious?

The Redskins landed two fine prospects on Day 1 of the draft, including a guy one football "expert" suggested would be the finest player in the draft but, a guy we shouldn't have taken, because, we don't need guys with very good careers or something :).

When you break down who we took in the draft it's hard to find a great deal of flaw with it. The problem for some people was the expectation of a need elsewhere, but, when you apply actual knowledge, it's hard to complain with the picks made.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Impressive. Rare to see the 'Skins get credit in the media.

But why do this now? The draft was three months ago. He could've written it the day after and it would've been the exact same thing.

He did. I read the article a long time back, but I can't remember if it was posted here or not however.

It is quite a shock to see us on the winners side. It's easy to see how our draft can look pretty poor if you see two fullbacks picked out of limited picks, but I do have faith in what the team is doing.

The Eagles draft looks better than I initially thought after the draft. That's too bad. I felt the writer was a bit too hard on Detroit.

What a funny colum. We had a terrible draft, Rodgers has a stress fracture in his foot and Campbel had a wonderlick score that was comparable to Heath Shuler.

We should have made better decisions in Free agency and kept our pick for next year, when the likes of Young and Lineart are available. I hope the danny gets it together and finally hires a GM until then I'll be at the real home of the Redskins RFK rootin on the Nats.

Shocking to see a positive article about our draft. Sure we passed on Williams, but we took a very comparable talent in Rogers. I do think Williams will be a very good NFL player, though.

Why did we draft 2 fullbacks again? Are switching from the 2 TE offense this year?

Beaudry, thing is, Fullbacks and TE's are guys who can switch around in Gibbs offense it seems. Cooley seems like an ideal TE since that's what he was in college, but he plays more of a FB style role in the H-Back role. They saw this sorta ability in White and Nemo.

Im surprised the draft analysis didnt mention McCune, though it still is surprising overall that it was written.

i can't believe we got some love for a change. i was happy with our draft. don't think it was top-5 good, but in three years the league will understand what we were doing.

first major impact is on special teams. can't wait to see these kids lining up with Rock and Sellers!

Originally posted by Beaudry

Shocking to see a positive article about our draft. Sure we passed on Williams, but we took a very comparable talent in Rogers. I do think Williams will be a very good NFL player, though.

Why did we draft 2 fullbacks again? Are switching from the 2 TE offense this year?

Why do you think the two players are fullbacks, exactly? Because NFL draft sites listed them there? Both players were lead runners in single-back sets. One is being looked at in a similar role here. The other is being looked at in a versatile role of H-Back.

Why do people ask questions like this they already know the answer to?

Why so much love for Dallas and the draft this year. I didn't think they did such a great job. They will have two or three rookies playing in a brand new system, and their biggest area of weakness last year was the secondary. They have one of the oldest teams in the NFL, and a QB that is now and always was overrated. I just dont get it. They could poop in a bag and the media would claim it was gold and the Skins are just pooped on.

Maybe when we win, they will like us again. Good to see at least one reporter with something good to say.

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Archived