Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Driving to Ocean City from NOVA Friday afternoon...

LeesburgSkinFan

Wait a sec... Friday afternoon? I thought you meant this afternoon... :doh:

Forget about going Friday afternoon. The Friday rush to the shore (or any point north, really) starts around Noon. I'd go early Saturday morning or Friday morning just after the AM rush, but no later.

Leaving NOVA at 3'ish, you're looking to hit bridge traffic at its peak. We're talking from 4:30-6:30, when traffic is backed up to the Aris T. Allen blvd exit at the very least. If you catch it on the right day, you're looking at sitting as far back as the Davidsonville exit. Seeing as how this is 4th of July weekend, you are in for a world of hurt.

Originally posted by skinzfan4life

Last year on numerous occasioncs i left at 530pm from Montrosse Road in Rockville, and shot over to Georgia ave and onto the beltway, then over and i was there by abour 930ish on many occasions.

4 hours is pushing it to begin with, but he's talking about attempting this the weekend of the 4th. He's borked.

Originally posted by ntotoro

Wait a sec... Friday afternoon? I thought you meant this afternoon... :doh:

Forget about going Friday afternoon. The Friday rush to the shore (or any point north, really) starts around Noon. I'd go early Saturday morning or Friday morning just after the AM rush, but no later.

that's what were doing, starting approxamatly at nova, give or take a couple miles, and ending at approxamatly ocean city (avalon)

unless you'll be travelling by plane, i wouldnt go within 20 miles of the bay bridge on the friday afternoon of the 4th, its just asking to start off your weekend on a horrible, stressful, traffic-filled note.

is there any chance you can leave thursday night or really early saturday morning? i think those are your best options barring an alternate route entirely.

Watch out for the bridge cops. They sit on the Kent Island side of the Bay Bridge and nail you as soon as you get over. Everybody is so happy to get through the backup and they getcha.

State troopers are usually set up:

1. past the Kent Narrows bridge in the median and under the overpasses

2. right at the 301-50 split

3. in Easton before you enter the town

4. right outside of Salsbury before the bypass

5. and right before the exit to OC.

Good luck.

My two homes are in Sterling and OC. Any Fridays during the summer are bad news. This weekend will be insane. I've had 7 hours plus trips because I had no other choice but to leave on Friday afternoons. It all depends on accidents on the beltway and 50. If at all possible leave early early Friday mourning or travel at night on Thursday. Good luck! You're gonna need it:2cents:

Think this might help? I wonder how much time it'll save?

Ok, here are a couple options to choose from:

A) If traffic is reported bad on Beltway but OK on bridge do the following short-cut:

1. Once over the WW Bridge, continue on 495 N.

2. Get off and head East on Rt. 214 (Central Ave.). Rt 214 is about 5 miles north of Andrews AFB exits.

3. Go about 15 miles East on 214 until you see signs for Route 301.

4. Take Route 301 North for about 5 miles until you intersect Route 50

5. Get on Route 50 East. The Bay Bridge is about 15 miles away.

Note: This route helps shave a few minutes off of 495N to 50E interchange.

B) If traffic is reported heavy on the Beltway and Bay Bridge, do the following short-cuts:

1. Once over the WW Bridge, continue on 495 N.

2. Get off and head East on Rt. 214 (Central Ave.). Rt 214 is about 5 miles north of Andrews AFB exits.

3. Go about 20 miles on Rt. 214 until you see signs for Route 2 (Solomon's Island Rd)

4. Take Route 2 North for about 10 miles. (You'll enter part of Annapolis on this road).

5. Route 2 eventually meets Route 450 (Better known as West Street).

6. Make a right on West Street and follow for about 4 miles (Note: Several stop lights on this road).

7. You'll eventually enter a intersection which has a circle (You'll notice the construction of a large bank in the center).

8. Upon entering the circle, go 3/4 of the way around the circle and then get on 450 North.

9. 450 North snakes it's way through West Annapolis (You'll go past Navy's Football Stadium on your left & eventually the USNA on your right).

10. Once you past the USNA, you'll cross the Severn River Bridge.

11. Immediately after coming off the bridge, make your first right onto Baltimore/Annapolis Blvd.

12. Follow this little windy road for a bit until you see St. Margaret's Road (This is the secret road that parallels Route 50 East).

13. Stay on St. Margaret's road until you eventually intersect Route 50 East (You'll be about 3 miles from the bridge).

14. If you happen to see signs for Whitehall Rd, take that road which directly parallels Route 50 East.

15. When you start seeing signs for Sandy Point State Park, you'll need to get onto 50 East as that's the last landmark prior to the bridge.

This may seem a little tricky but it's at least more scenic than just humpin' on the highway. Plus, I'm not certain if locals have started using this shortcut as well and you may just as well stay on Route 50 E the whole time. In other words, if they report Bay Bridge traffic is out to/past the Route 97 Interchange...that's bad. Anything less than you're probably just good to go staying on Route 50 East. A Maryland Map is probably helpful and/or google a local Annapolis map to follow the shortcuts.

Hope it helps. If you ever get lost, just ask anyone for directions to Route 50 East. It's never more than a short drive from anywhere in Annapolis.

13. Stay on St. Margaret's road until you eventually intersect Route 50 East (You'll be about 3 miles from the bridge).

14. If you happen to see signs for Whitehall Rd, take that road which directly parallels Route 50 East.

15. When you start seeing signs for Sandy Point State Park, you'll need to get onto 50 East as that's the last landmark prior to the bridge.

[/b]

I haven't had to hit Eastern Shore yet this summer, but I had heard they were planning on closing Whitehall Road where it dumps off on 50 right before the bridge.

Originally posted by Mufumonk

I haven't had to hit Eastern Shore yet this summer, but I had heard they were planning on closing Whitehall Road where it dumps off on 50 right before the bridge. [/b]

I travel that area alot, as I live in Annapolis. Thursdays have been worse then Friday's this year so far. 4th of July weekend though, you will be pretty much screwed any day you go.

AS others have said, go late or early. If you can leave at noon, you will be much better off then if you leave at 2-3.

Well now I know one more person I will be cussing while I am trying to get home this Friday. :laugh: :laugh:

Archived